No Heat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » No Heat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2013 - 16:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shadow 1 1974
Not that we need much heat from the system here on the Sunshine Coast but I have just noticed that the air-con blows a constant flow of hand rubbing cold air when required, but alas absolutely nothing on the heating front, even when the controls are full on. Any suggestions please? I did also notice that the air flow through the top vents (windscreen de-mister) is also non existent, although never really needed up here either.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2013 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kevin
Good to see you have another Shadow.
One of the "quick fixes" when a heater box leaks is to blank off the water to and from the block especially in the warmer climates, also the heater valve is often seized up if seldom used. That would be my first port of call to ensure there is water flow.
Trust that helps
Regards
David Hughes

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2013 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IIRC one of the heater hoses can be above the level of the radiator header tank. It's made worse on my Shadow 1 because of the plumbing needed for the LPG evaporator. As such I need to keep the header tank completely full of coolant and occasionally loosen one of the Jubilee clips to allow a flow of coolant out of the system to eliminate any air locks.

The trouble is that the automatic heater valve leaks a little water every time it opens and closes, although it's completely water tight in either fully open or closed. If it were easier to get at the fixing bolts I would have replaced it long ago. However topping up this minor leak with pre-mixed anti freeze ensures that the coolant is always being replaced with fresh stuff.

With 4 cars in my current fleet I try to keep a gallon or two of concentrated anti freeze in the shed and maybe a couple of litres of pre-mixed in the back of each car.