Turn Signal Flasher - Alternatives, i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Turn Signal Flasher - Alternatives, if any « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, 18 August, 2014 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

This is a photo of the hazard and turn signal flashers that came with SRH33576:

Turn Signal and Hazard Flashers

The turn signal flasher can is significantly shorter than that of the hazard flasher.

Ever since I acquired the car I have hated the fact that I cannot hear the turn signal flasher or hazard flasher (with the turn signal silence being, by far, more annoying).

It's very easy to find other flashers in a round can, but these do not fit on the fuse board and if you use pigtails you lose any sounding board function from the fuse board for the flasher.

Both of these function, but I'd particularly like to get a replacement for the turn signal flasher that fits the space used by the original but that is significantly louder.

If anyone knows of alternatives, Lucas or otherwise, that has a louder flasher click that resonates better please let me know what those might be.

Thanks,
Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, 18 August, 2014 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few years ago I bought a rectangular flasher unit from a UK shop called Halfords. The unit fitted in the space and made a louder tick. It is still working well.
If you have any mates in the UK maybe they can go into their local Halfords to see if they still have these.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, 18 August, 2014 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thanks. If the opportunity presents itself to take a look for brand/part number I'd appreciate it.

I intend to try to do a match-up of some sort at my local auto parts stores, and may very well be successful.

The louder tick is the open question and if someone's stumbled upon one with a really loud tick I'd go the route of having someone seek one out for me if I can't get it here.

Thank you again for confirming that such a beast does exist on the face of this earth!

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

try:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-mini-round-inidicator-flasher-unit-relay-small-square-2-pin-21Wx2-5W-2W-/221120266581?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337bcb8155

or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-8FL-TYPE-41-35049A-12v-indicator-flasher-unit-2-pin-/131272244573?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e906f7d5d

or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-12V-METAL-2-PIN-FLASHER-HAZARD-UNIT-RELAY-ROVER-MG-MINI-TRIUMPH-CLASSIC-CAR-/181173671200?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2ecad520

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thanks.

The difficulty (if one can call it that) is not so much with locating suitable replacements (including, as your second link shows, the OEM item) but with trying to find something with a tick that I can hear at least reasonably well.

I found it interesting today when looking at NAPA online that they have a specific flasher, alas in a round can, that is specifically noted as being a "Loud Flasher".

I got a private suggestion that I should wire a buzzer into the flasher circuit. My response was that while this would certainly be effective, it's just a tad too jarring.

My all time favorite turn signal flasher (which appears to be an ECU, upon further research) is the one used in the '99 Jaguar I had. Each blink sounds like a small drum is being struck. It's very clearly audible, but the sound is not in any way consciously irritating.

What I'm thinking about doing is driving to my four local auto parts stores, seeing what they have in a square case, and asking if I can "try it out" if it's not in a blister pack. In the end I'll select the one I can hear best or, if it's all still pretty much inaudible, just stick with the original and live with it.

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

If you have an old silent one lying around that you don't mind sacrificing, then you can open it up and turn the base into an adapter by putting female tabs in the correct places to accommodate an inexpensive contemporary and louder unit. You might even be able to adapt the drum sounding one.

For your consideration,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These two units are still available from David Manners (Jag) and Moss(MG)

To make them tick louder rig up a micro phone and loudspeakers.
Mine 200 watts and I can definitely hear it above my wife and daughter discussing soaps.

Or
The unit is clipped to a sound board which if made bigger will make the click louder.

(Message approved by david_gore)