'77 Wraith II Refrigeration System Sc... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » '77 Wraith II Refrigeration System Schrader Valve « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, 16 May, 2015 - 12:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, everyone. I have received my steel fittings to make the conversion of the access ports to R-134 a. I began to remove the Schrader valve core at the port on the control valve and I got only part of the valve out. It began to get tight s it screwed out, and only the center stem and spring came out. I have to find a way forward, of course.
I noticed that this is a short section that will unscrew from the control valve. Any recommendations?

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.164.55
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2015 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The suction throttling valve should be disabled with a kit that removes the innards and blanks it off. The valve is then just a fitting for that little charging pipe to screw into. The little pipe can be replaced if the schrada valve won't come out.

Because the suction valve is no longer working a temp switch is added which works the clutch via a relay. Also included in the kit.

Instead of the st valve the compressor clutch cycles.

Details in the technical stuff on main site.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2015 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the POV not the earlier suction throttling valve as on SRH 9391 the 1970 Shadow. With this valve just like the earlier STV the compressor runs constantly and the valve controls the evaporator temperature. This same control valve was used on millions of GM cars in the 1970s and is very common in the USA. I found an outfit called Classic Air that can make it like new. The STV on the Shadow still works so I plan to get all the good out of it then I will have to do what you described.
Thanks a bunch for the post!