1970 Shadow Oil Light Transmitter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 1970 Shadow Oil Light Transmitter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, While changing my Car over to the spin-on filter, I would like to replace the "low oil pressure" warning lamp switch. The Factory number seems to be UE 44823P; the number on my Car's existing unit is 4432 3-5 CO. There is no other information on it.
Are these the same? Is this a fairly generic part, such that I might obtain a functionally equivalent substitute locally?

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.89
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My switch started flashing on idle in 1995ish. I fitted one from a BMC a series engine.

There are two versions with difference threads I think ( memory) The later ones had a coarser metric thread. So take yours to match by holding the threads together and holding up to light.

Also check the psi bit. Some are higher. The lower pressure one is best. 5 psi is fine.

Intermotor Europart Lucas etc. lists them about £7.

To remove use spanner on the flats below the big bit. It's an AF size. It's not to bad to change. Put a SMALL amount of halomar or similar ( not silicon) on the threads. Thread tape may insulate from earth.

Two common faults is oil leak from joint in the switch and switching off at to higher pressure. The contacts wear. This leads to owners thinking the oil pressure is low.

Which is what my switch did. I think my one was the same as early Austin Metro. I brought 2.

This switch was extensively used on brit iron including motorbikes for I guess 50 years.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 22:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought of using the one for a 1970s Chevrolet, as it appears almost exactly the same; however it occurred to me that the threads are 1/8 inch BSP not 1/8 inch NPT, so I will look to see what I can find locally: MG, Jaguar, et al.
The housing I bought from Flying Spares has three threaded ports, whereas my old one has two, one of which was plugged. I moved the plug to the new adaptor; now which port should get the switch, do you think? One is in the oil flow to the filter, and the other is the oil flow after filtration.
Also I will have to find another plug with the correct threads. Ah!details...

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE: maybe the threads are 1/8 inch NPTF. I found a catalog listing for various Austin and Morris models from the 1970s and the specification is 1/8 inch NPTF.
I will therefore try a unit for a 1973 Chevrolet, $4 US.
Anyway, after more cleaning, I did find molded into the plastic part the letters "AC" and "England". Is this the same AC as in the US, part of General Motors, except for Vauxhalls?
The fun never ends...

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Wednesday, 07 January, 2015 - 05:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AC is GM and GM is Vauxhall and Opel and Bedford. Some AC boxes have a Delco Remy logo.

At $4 each stick a sender in both holes. Or use one for a pressure gauge.

The pressure gauge could be mounted in the engine compartment. Using the dot tank bolts as a mounting point.

It is possible to remove the ammeter and fit a combined water temp/ oil gauge.

I don't think it matters what hole is used for the switch.

(Message approved by david_gore)