Radiator sprung a leak on the bottom ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Radiator sprung a leak on the bottom right corner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks
Its been awhile since I posted as the old girl has been running good, apart from a stuck front door. My question is when I pull out the radiator to be fixed is it possible to solder in a regular radiator neck and filler cap a remove the header tank? as it is leaking too around the steam valve.
Do you think its an ok idea?

regards Rob

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No. It is an expansion tank.

Take it to be repaired at the same time.

They can split the top and bottom and resolder the boss.

Cheers, Paul.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2718
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This conversion was successfully undertaken on a Shadow II about 15 years ago by one of our self help group members using a radiator repairer for the fitting and soldering of the neck onto the RR header tank.

I think the neck was recycled from a Ford Falcon XW/XY V8 radiator as this had the overflow connection and cap to allow coolant expansion when hot and return when cold.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

The conversion you mention still uses the header tank. Robert was asking about modifying the actual radiator and dispensing with the header tank. I'd definitely take Paul's advice on this. Modifying the radiator in this way (i.e. no header tank) will likely cause endless problems in coolant loss through the overflow pipe.

I was reminded of an article in Tee-one topics (ch 34 p489) where a Cloud header tank was modified by RR engineers. I think the cap looks really incongruous.

rc

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS. When you take the parts to the rad shop. . .tell them it's for a Ute or a mower. Wink.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i would get the header tank properly repaired. The cost of modifying is likely to be the same.

Then if problems occur then you know it isnt the header tank because its as RR intended.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From the description, "it is leaking around the steam valve," it doesn't sound to me like the header tank itself is compromised.

There is a gasket with the steam valve, isn't there? If so I'd suspect it's reached the perished stage and should be replaced.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, the gasket is air pressure to air pressure only. Unless the overflow hose is blocked there is no way to leak past the gasket.

Even then any pressure can come out by the cap.

Unfortunately :-(

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Check!

If one is going to the trouble to remove the radiator and take it for repair taking the header tank along with it is probably a good idea anyway, even if just to have it tested for leaks at the same time.

Brian

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks

Many thanks for the advice .I'll take both the header tank and radiator in and have fixed. I guess the engineers at RR are a lot smarter than me on such things. The header tank is leaking around the screws that holds the steam valve in. Some "BOOF HEAD" cross threaded some of them 10 years ago .Its only just started leaking when the radiator blew. I'll recondition both and at least under the bonnet it will look as it should.

regard Rob

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alarm bells are ringing if the radiator and headertank both started leaking at the same time.

Check the steam/pressure valve is working and releasing pressure correctly.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And also check that the overflow isn't blocked.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys

Took the radiator into our local repair shop yesterday and gave them the go ahead on the repair. Not sure because its a Royce but seems a bit steep on the repair bill, but it has a 3 year warranty and I like to support local business. Here is an email they sent me. Can't complain is 45 years old and the service is great.

Cheers
Rob

The workshop has tested it and found multiple leaks. They would like to disassemble the radiator to check the condition of the tanks before proceeding with a recore.

The recore alone will be $1,126.40 inclusive of GST which is subject to the condition of the tanks.

Hi Robert,

Just a courtesy email to let you know that the workshop has disassembled the tanks and they are fine to reuse. I have ordered the core today however it does have to be made in Beverley, SA. This will take 5-7 business days to be made and then to arrive here.

I will let you know once it has arrived and how they are tracking with the recore as well as an estimated end date.

Kind Regards,
Coxsons Radiators

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert (H)
I also had a leak from the bottom left corner of my rad, and removed it to have it repaired. Interestingly, the repair man said that the rad was in excellent condition apart from the two righthandmost vertical runs that have had to be condemned (I forget now why they could not be repaired - I think that where they join the bottom tank was too rotten)
I have been running it like that for a while with no issues.

Robert J. Sprauer
New User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 00:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fill with distilled water. Find a radiator sock to prevent debris from the block polluting the new core.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 03:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

Not forgetting the correct anti-freeze at 50/50 ratio with the distilled water.

Kind regards,
Chris

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

distilled water will instantly turn into normal water as soon as the water touches the engine.

Antifreeze has additives to combat corrosion so distilled water is not necessary.

However if one wants to use distilled water then go for it.

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You have to do everything you can with a cooling system regarding corrosion. If you pull water from a well and its hard water...why use it?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use distilled water with 50% antifreeze, But I have heard that distilled water when it is put in the engine tries to get back to being just ordinary water, maybe Robert will elaborate.

Richard.

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Distilled water is basically water that has been boiled and the steam is condensed leaving the impurities behind. It will get polluted with impurities already in the block. Flushing the block is always a good idea as well as your hot water heater at home.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use the same mix as Richard, also using distilled water. Not sure why I use distilled water - I read it somewhere.
Don't forget that you should not use the new organic antifreeze in older engines. Apparently it attacks the silicone rubber O-rings and seals particularly in wet liner engines.
Some people have used it without a problem, but I have also heard a couple of disaster stories - so why take the risk? Use normal glycol antifreeze and change more often.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you have seen the inside of the water channels in an elderly block, or had an old radiator re-cored because of the lime scale blocking the tubes, you would know why it is recommended to use distilled water. I use the condensate from the dehumidifiers I use in the garage - it may have a little dust or pollen in it but it has no lime. This is a hard-water area.

Alan D. in Somerset, UK.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

l live in Dorset where the water is not hard like Andover Hants where they have sales of Calgon for washng machines.

Antifreee has a calcium inhibitor which stop scale forming.

Pure water does not like being pure, it immediately searches for impurities.

I don't know the sciencey stuff but I think its like osmosis.

Rain water is distilled water with a bit of dirt but no lime.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: