Steam Valve Source Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Steam Valve Source « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2015 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,

I see Introcar do an aftermarket 'kit' to replace the original steam valve on cars post 07523... is there any other 'fix' for a leaking valve??

This is the pressure relief valve under the round disc in the header tank....the prices of new valves are quite shocking...

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 03:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just sucked it up and bought one. It doesn't hurt for that long...
Really: there's no reason one could not close up the steam valve, remove the filler opening and solder on a normal filler neck and use a common radiator cap. In the 1950s several American cars used a separate header tank and that's the way they were made. They work exactly the same.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just love the term steam valve.

I wouldn't modify this bit because then that lovely filler cap is gone.

These valves are simple devices and surely they can be tweaked and repaired-----somehow.

If a whistle is fitted to the steam valve oulet then if the car does overheat.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I certainly understand that: I enjoy and appreciate the special features also.
Probably that steam valve has to be specially made as I don't know of any other machine that used it. This makes them expensive.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just checked out the Introcar price - 46 quid? 80 bucks and you're sorted. Sounds like a really good deal to me. Am I missing something here?

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The valve is long lasting so once replaced one can forget about it for another 40 years.

Mine is fine. I have never even taken it out. I think bits like this are not interfered with unless the bit is giving trouble.It was ok until it was taken out sort of thing. The bolts shear easy. 2BA I think.

I was thinking along the lines of using spring and maybe other bits from a normal radiator pressure cap. Maybe file bits of brass to fit.

If the ACTIVE surface area of the valve is known and the max pressure then the spring pressure can be calculated. In any case I should think the spring lasts for ever because it doesn't do much work.

I like the look of the underbonnet bits, they look so robust. Except the screen wash bottle and pump. I like the instruction labels. The little rubber boot on the coolant level probe. I try to keep every thing Rolls Royce looking.

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree its the customisation that made it expensive...
Its a crimped-edge construction, but I think I will open the old one up for inspection....it must be a fault with the rubber seal in there..
at same time I will try the kit:
http://www.introcar.co.uk/rolls-royce-bentley-models-1965-1980-c89/cooling-system-c32798/radiators-c32820/chassis-numbers-07523-13618-c38759/pressure-relief-valve-kit-pp269417

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

£46 I thought they were expensive. By all means have a quick look to see if it can be safely repaired but at that price I wouldn't spend much money or time on it. A nice new shinny part fixes it for years.