Viscous fan coupling for S2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Viscous fan coupling for S2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

whunter
New User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2003 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
My bet would be:
#1. Wrong fan blade.
#2. Wrong fan pully.
The sound you describe is a common problem with kids building street racers.
Check the pully and fan blade part numbers with your local RR&B dealer.
If you can borrow a hand held wind speed meter; compare the wind speed of your car fan with another identical car that is not loud, this will confirm the fan/pully issue.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2003 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roy
I can assure you the car is absolutely original. Unfortunately it is and has been in bits for 5 years to my discredit but I do have a friend with a Cloud III used mainly in the city fir short runs. I am going to have a crack at a viscous unit on that. Recently by the way one of our local members had the viscous coupling fail on his SS II - the noise was quite amazing. Anyway we fitted a local Ford plastic fan and coupling and it worked perfectly. Only problem the plastic is white!! I keep yo'all posted

Cheers

whunter
Frequent User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2003 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
Didn't know the car was original.
Last month had a 1961 Caddilac with wrong fan/clutch.
I agree, the noise was quite amazing, sounded like a small plane at take off with a bad prop.
I have all automotive manufacturers local, get me compatible (modern) part numbers and I can probably find you a black fan blade.
whunter
asemastermechanic@juno.com
Cheers

Bill Coburn (203.51.26.121)
Posted on Tuesday, 09 July, 2002 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The loudest noise in my S2 is not the clock. It is the blasted fan which in full flight emulates a 747 at takeoff. I notice that the Phantom VI with basically an identical power unit, uses a viscous coupling, greatly reducing the noise output. I had intended simply getting a complete unit and fan from a local car that would fit in the cowl and expect it to work. Am I being too optimistic?

Jim Bettison (203.166.57.11)
Posted on Sunday, 04 August, 2002 - 11:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
If you are being too optimistic, then there are several of us. One of our group intends to do just as you describe, to help get the heat away in his Dawn. The exact coupling unit isn't yet selected. Perhaps we should keep in touch.
Jim B.

Bill Coburn (203.51.24.220)
Posted on Thursday, 08 August, 2002 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Certainly Jim

Sorry I have been away from all this. There is a mob here who make electric fans for cars and also I note viscostatic (?) units. I'll get onto them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: