Choke solenoid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Choke solenoid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Jones
New User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 28 October, 2007 - 10:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

I am wondering if any can fill me in on the correct workings of the choke solenoid- when energised does the "plunger" physically extend out to activate the lever to the butterfly valve, or does it move the lever magnetically?

I checked the solenoid- it was getting power under the correct conditions (temp switch closed etc), but nothing moved on it. I destroyed (oops!) the solenoid in trying to unsieze it, then had a dreadful feeling that it may extert its force purely magnetically and that I had destroyed a perfectly good solenoid!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
The Cloud Solenoid Destroyer

Paul Yorke
Frequent User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2007 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

You are quite correct, shame it was after the event!

There is a small cam with a foot on it on the choke shaft. When the choke is closed , that foot is near the solenoid and this holds it closed and stops the butterfly from fluttering. The choke spring does the actual work.

Time for a new one I'm afraid.

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 31 October, 2007 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much for that info Paul, it confirmed my suspicions- I won't make that mistake again!!

Donald Maloid
New User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 29 June, 2008 - 23:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have the same problem. Where can a new choke solenoid be purchased. Any good internet sites out there?

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 00:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Donald,

I got a new (second hand) solenoid from Flying Spares (www.flyingspares.com) in the UK, I find their service very good and they seem to have most of the parts I'm after. I have found Brabo (www.brabocars.com) good as well, they are in the Netherlands. You can search for parts on both websites.

All the best.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Am I allowed to suggest myself for the part? PM me if you like?

Cheers, Paul.

Donald Maloid
New User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 30 June, 2008 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Jones,
Thanks for the info. The "flyingspares" site is a great source with lots of parts I need.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: