Found a Cloud and need some info Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Found a Cloud and need some info « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks, I have just come across what I think is a Cloud two. It has single headlights and a V8 engine. This vehicle is in a garage just rusting away! I am doing my best to locate the owner so I can buy it and give it the love it deserves. I have no information about the car except the chassis number and hoped someone can help. The number itself is interesting as it has just one number. The chassis reads SXC 5 What have I found, please help. Many thanks Mark

Peter Colwell
Yet to post message
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chassis number SXC 5 shows it to be a 1961 Silver Cloud 2 model. The SXC series goes from number 1 to 671, according to the RROC library file.

Peter

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Peter, can you tell me what the SXC stands for? Also, the low serial number, does this mean the numbers start from one every time a new series begins? I have read that the Mk2 started production in 1959 and ended in 1962. If mine is a 1961 model other cars must have been built and other numbers issued before mine. Cheers Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi mark.
From my records SXC was produced from August 1960 to May 1961.
It appeares to be LWB, now they list 1-671 built but evey ODD number so if i am correct that will be half of 670.
It should have the map reading light,combined flasher headlight flick switch, handbrake warning light etc on yours.
This is from some old detail records,could use as a quide.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2005 - 09:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick, I appreciate your information. It is so frustrating seeing the car just sat there in the garage. The sooner the owner gets back to me the better. You have given me some good info to work with. Many thanks Mark

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark: I have found some information on the car in question, and what little I have is rather interesting ... the car was delivered on 10.11.60 to its first owner, H Peake, Director of Rolls-Royce Ltd at Conduit Street, London. The second owner was Lloyds Bank Ltd, London and they took delivery on 22.11.62. Finally, on 14.12.64 the car was passed to its third owner, Dame Felicity Peake. Hmmmm. Wife of first owner? If so, perhaps she couldn't bear to have been parted from the car! Original paintwork was Midnight Blue, and upholstery throughout was in Tan Vaumol hide. It had a bench front seat. Do hope this information is of some help. Kind regards from Hong Kong.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

The devil in me asks the question - "was the car used as security for a bank loan and not sold as we would normally infer from this information?"

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very good question, David. I have no idea whatever; I only got the information as I was on the phone with Barbara Westlake at the RREC and took the opportunity of asking her about this car to see if it was of any interest to Mark or others in the Forum. If I find out anything else, I'll post it. Best regards.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 18:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David good idea but the old buff log book states
"important - the person in whose name a vehicle is registered may or may not be the legal owner of the vehicle".
This alone would cover title to the vehicle if a loan was pressent i would have thought.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2005 - 15:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John and Pat,

This sequence of ownership absolutely intrigues me - my intuition is twitching about possible scenarios which would cause ownership to be transferred to a Bank and then back to the wife. I would not expect a Bank the size and status of LLoyds to buy a second-hand car for their senior executives.

One of life's little conundrums I guess.

Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.65.96.173
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2005 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark (and all),
Am very happy to be on this forum due to the recommendation of my friend J. Shostrom of Hong Kong. I would add only this to Mr. Lockyer's comments of 14.9.05. SXC would be a chassis designation for a standard wheelbase car, not long wheelbase.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2005 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW!!! Many thanks for the info...YES it is blue and does have tan interior. I would love to send a picture but don't know how to do it. I have had problems before with pictures. Can I forward it to someone who can post it?
I am still looking for the owner, I believe he lives in Spain but I am just waiting for some contact details. If you saw the car in its present state you would cry. I am a little worried I am building my hopes up too much about buying the car, I have not been told it is for sale yet. Possibly with its past history it might not be.
I am interested in obtaining the previous history on the car, is there someone I can contact to obtain/buy this? Many thanks (and keep the information coming) Mark

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2005 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just sent the pictures to Richard (Thank you for that) and noticed the car has not got a bench seat! Does this mean the information about the car could be wrong? Cheers Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 02:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark i will put a pix of the details later,prehaps i have miss read them or there is some other explanation.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a pix of the page details, Silver Cloud S2. For the experts to mull over.

Cripes it looks a bit on the small side,Please scrap it if it is unreadable and i will have another go to-morrow.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try this:

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 894
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark: no pictures have arrived yet.

You can best IM them by Skype on:

rhtreacy

RT.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, 22 September, 2005 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, I have sent the pictures again. The SMTP server on my computer had a to lower setting. I have changed this.
Cheers Mark
P.S. Many thanks for all the info that is being sent...I just hope I get this car after all your hard work.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 895
Posted on Thursday, 22 September, 2005 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, 24 September, 2005 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Richard for posting the pictures.
Well folks...what do you think? The owner has all the value items in his garage...grill, bumpers, chrome, wheetrims, lights etc. The wood panel for the dashboard is on the back seat. It has been removed to take out a guage. Can anyone please tell me what gauge has been removed?
Cheers Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, 24 September, 2005 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,from what i can see the clock has been removed.
The car looks from the pix very solid and in need of some TLC.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: