Re-commission my S1? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Re-commission my S1? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 21 February, 2018 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Si has been tucked away in the garage since September. I was away untill December, returned in a snowstorm and have had cold, wet weather since.

I have half-loosened the drain plug, hoping to remove any condensate from the sump before turning the engine, but cold oil is reluctant to leak! I will leave it to drip for a few days, as any water will be at the bottom and the oil has only done 200 miles.

I intend to inject about 5 cc of oil into each plug hole, hoping that it will be enough to lubricate the bores and rings. I don't want to flood the engine with oil and smoke out the garage. Would 10cc diesel + oil mix be better?

I'm not sure if it would be better to wait until I return from my next trip in June before starting the engine? Could I be doing more harm than good by starting it now? I would have only a few opportunities to drive the car, it's just that I worry about leaving it standing for so long.

How best to treat a car that often stands for 3 months when I am away?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill inactivity is a sure death sentence for these old cars.

Richard.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I don't think you need do all that. Charge the battery, turn over the engine with the starter to build oil pressure, then try to start the old girl.3-4 months is not that long of inactivity. If you were worried about the cylinder bores,put a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil down each spark plug hole first, but I doubt you need to.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, IMO the contact faces in the distributor will need a clean, more so in the UK with the moisture content in the atmosphere during the winter months.
Make sure you have fuel up to the carburettors.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I tend to agree that even 6 months (Sept thru Feb) is not a long period of nonuse for the Cloud, if you want to be absolutely certain, and given the ease with which the plugs can be removed, while they are out and whether or not you lubricate the cylinder bores and rocker areas, turn the engine over for several seconds or more with starter (there will be no compression as plugs are out) which will build up the oil pressure and assist with getting things "prelubricated". Reinstall the plugs and you are ready to start engine.

As to condensate water in oil sump, my own feeling is that there will be none and any "de minimus" amount will burn off from evaporation once engine is up to temperature and car is being used. If there is enough to have settled to the bottom of the sump such that it can be noticeably drained, you have other problems causing this accumulation of water.

Bill Heath
New User
Username: bill_heath

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably worrying too much about condensation in the oil. I remember draining water from the fuel tanks of light aircraft in the 80s,but that was in the heat and humidity of Georgia and my car is in a sealed garage with humidity controlled to 55-60%

I have recently watched a video of Kermit Weeks starting the Merlin engine of his P51D Mustang. He uses an electric pre-oiler if the engine has rested for two weeks or more. I did look for a car pre-oiler, but that became very involved, so a squirt of oil down the plug holes will have to do.

Update: Sun shining, roads dry and checked that no salt spread last night. Sump plug re-tightened, oil down each plug hole and 30 sec on the starter. Plugs back in and put 10 smooth miles on the odometer. Thick smoke in the garage though!

Fingers crossed for more days like this.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, 23 February, 2018 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great stuff Bill, keep her lit.

Richard.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.186.88.11
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A small amount of water will sit on top of the oil film meniscus.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: