Starting problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Starting problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone heard of this one before?
A friend of mine who owns (or should I say, 'Is the Custodian of), a Silver Cloud 111 and he has an unusual problem. His car starts perfectly on level ground or if the front of the car faces uphill. But if the nose is pointing downwards, it is much harder to start. I was wondering if it could be a needle and seat problem in the carbs where the downward side may be flooding the bowl.
Has anyone encountered this and if so, what would the remedy be?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert. Has there been any diference detected when the tank is full as to when the tank is nearly empty on level ground when starting.
Is it more of a prob when cold or hot.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat,
It apparently does'nt seem to make a difference either hot/cold full or empty. The car eventually starts but harder when the nose points downward. Weird! Aint it?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert i would first try the float levels if set high will flood engine when hot faceing down hill.
Pack float jet bodys down with correct washers to lower fuel level to required amount.
If ok then fit new float needels and seats as you suggested.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would be putting my money on clogged fuel strainers at the float bowls and gunk in the float bowls themselves. It's all readily cleaned out with compressed air. On starting, gunk can cause the problems described, and it may be worse on a downhill slope as the gunk floats forward to the feeds to the jets.

By the way, Pat, I thought that the SCIII has the metal type floats, and the metal forked fuel bowl level adjusting levers. The adjustment method for that type is shown below.

Another comment: if the float binds on the float bowl centre bolt, the bowl can flood. Polishing a burred bolt or float centre may solve this. Again, it may occur more on a slope as the float no longer rises vertically. You may try simply roatating the float bowls relative to the carburettor housings and the float bowl covers by 1/4 turn to shift the points of binding.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok if it has the early type still adjust the fork after first checking the float levels.
floats can have petrol inside causing a lower position causing a high level of fuel [flooding]
Richard regarding the gunk in the bowls i think this would show up with abnormal running of the car in use.
Robert one other simple check is to hold the throtle fully down to start and see if the car starts easier than with a light throttle opening on downward hills.
There are two more probables but i think this is enough to go on with.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 22 January, 2005 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, Richard, You gents are indeed brilliant!
I will ring My friend tommorrow morning first thing to see if I can lay hands on his carbies. That's if his wife doesn't drop the baby first (due any day now). Thanks a million lads. I'm certain your comments will end the problem.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 24 January, 2005 - 11:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gents,
I haven't had a chance to get to Nick's place (My friend with the Cloud 111), so I cut and pasted the above and copied it to Word. His email bounced back so I've posted it by snail mail. He tells me his PC's playing up too (Don't they all?). He is very grateful for your input and I will tell you his results as soon as I know. Thank you once again.
Rob.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 24 January, 2005 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

My sister had a 1968 Mercedes Benz 280S with Zenith Carbs that displayed exactly the same symptoms. Overhauled the carbs, and it was sorted. Was a nice car, she sold it for a VW Golf, not a nice car.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, 24 January, 2005 - 15:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suppose we can now call the VW Golf the entry level Bentley.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: