SCIII Steering ram rebuild and bushing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » SCIII Steering ram rebuild and bushing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.190.14.241
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2014 - 01:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

I am currently working on SFU 569, and am researching the repair of the front steering cylinder. Mine is leaking as they tend to do. I have seen mentioned in Tee One Topics a company that provides an upgrade for the seals, and was wondering if anyone knows of a company in the US that would do something similar.

Also, in Tee One Topics, #88, an aftermarket front Silentbloc bushing is shown for the ram, and I was curious if anyone knows a part number or where this can be purchased as I didn't see it mentioned.

All help and comments are appreciated,
Chris Williams

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.89
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2014 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ask at your local hydraulics shop. All city and towns have a shop that does general hydraulic stuff.
The silent block Bush.
if the measurements are known it can be matched. I have turned the odd silent block bush steel outside down a bit to fit, where I couldn't get the right one. The idea of a steering ram is not unique to RR and many American cars had similar layouts.
So hydraulic guys will have good knowledge of this stuff and they may have a suitable bush. Plus they make pipe work.

Also a taper type of rubber bush could be used.

I have worked on rams and making them is straight forward. The selection of the best seals for the application is not straightforward and success or failure is heavilly reliant on the seals. We had a book with thousands of seals and it takes an expert to select the best ones. On older stuff often the piston and end cap would be modified to fit the lastest high tech seals.

I can't remember if your ram has a boot covering the ram rod. If not a steering rack boot will do.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Christopher,

The Silentbloc bush in your ram is part number RG3076. Not sure where you are but here in the UK, they retail at over £100. If you are interested, I have a spare new one if you would like to send me a PM.

Kind regards,

Chris

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.97.26.213
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2014 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris

This bush is used on the prop shaft floating bearing on the EPW cars. It is a simple 0.500 inch bore Metalastic bush their original part no. 13/737 rubber mix I.M.N 60.

External metal sleeve length 1.750 inch, internal metal sleeve length 1.875 inch, (that is internal metal sleeve is longer than outside) outer diameter 1.062 inch.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: