Cloud 1 Radio Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud 1 Radio « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Mantello
Yet to post message
Username: john

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2004 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The radio in my Silver Cloud 1 has just stopped. It had been working perfectly and now its "dead". I have checked the fuse and all is OK. I am in Melbourne, can anyone offer some advice, maybe someone who can fix it, or hopefully a simple solution. I don't really want to remove it but there may be no choice!

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2004 - 15:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Get a test light and see that power is getting to the radio.
Also; use a good strong torch/flash light, and look to see that no wires are dislodged from the rear of radio.
Good fortune.

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2013 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dragged this old thread up while searching for my query.

I have Silver Cloud SWA158. The spar parts manual only mentions RadioMobile 230R - which is for late models (mine is early). This pic of a 230R proves it.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiomobil_ssmitsons_receiver_230r.html

Workshop manual shows 3 types
4300. All wave radio
200 X B. Medium and long wave radio
202 x B. Medium wave radio

I am only after one of the black push buttons to make the face look better - but the radio is knackered.

While yakking about is, does anyone know of people who muck around with electronics to include FM?

Something like this - scroll down about half the page and see the one for $450

http://www.fomoco.com.au/Shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=50#

Yes, I know my model has a valve box. I'd like to have a clone am/fm though - while preserving the original.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2013 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin,

This might be the answer for refurbishing your radio keeping its original appearance but replacing the circuitry with modern electronics.

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/

A Melbourne possibility is:

http://nostalgicwireless.com.au/

Hope this helps.

Colin Silver
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2013 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David. Know both companies and their product is good.

But I wouldn't like my current radio interior to be replaced with different components.

I'd prefer to remove the current radio and valve amplifier and put a solid state electronics version. Big ask I know, given volumes need for someone to make a profit - unless these radios were put in every British car.

I wonder though, whether there is an old looking full electronic am/fm radio I could put in. Vintage and Nostalgic only convert - not produce a full product from scratch.

Short of that, I'll hunt down a radio I can hide under the dash and remotely control it.

Steven Spencer
New User
Username: sspencer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2013 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I sent my Radiomobile unit and to a conversion shop and had them put a modern AM/FM radio into the original box and use the original dials, pushbuttons, etc for function. Obviously, looks authentic, even simulates the slow warm-up of the original unit, but allows access to the local radio stations. It also allows input from other sources. It also uses the standard antenna. They also supplied a modern speaker that fit into the original speaker location. There are a number of shops that do the conversion, here is a link to the one that I used. It is in the US.
http://www.turnswitch.com/

Colin Silver
Prolific User

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2013 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steven, what model RadioMobile? Mine has a separate amplifier box with valves.

I'm thinking - of
- Putting in a new CD/Radio with remote control - having it hidden under the dash. I don't have an answer for stereo.

Anyone with an idea on a SC1 hiding two speakers? I'd like to keep the current radio connected to the current speaker.

Steven Spencer
New User
Username: sspencer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2013 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A RadioMobile was the transistor unit they put in the SCII and III's. The shop I referred to will rebuild both types. There is a nice string on the RROC site if you have access to fitting speakers to a SC. I will try to copy it if I can to this site. It may take someone with a little more computer savvy than myself?

Colin Silver
Prolific User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2013 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steven, mine is 55 SC1, with valve controlled amplifier box.

My simple brain is thinking of hiding a remote controlled Am/Fm radio along with two stereo speakers under the dash - leaving the original in place. No need to reach under the dash as the RC can do that.

Any one had experience in this?

John Mantello
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2013 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All, Gee I can't believe I started this thread some nine years ago....amazing how time flies!
Anyway, I never removed the radio, I put a AM/FM unit in the glove box, used the existing speakers and the existing aerial....job done. Sounds as good as I need it and you cannot see anything different looking at the dash.

Colin Silver
Prolific User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2013 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glove box - interesting. Not even knowning what the inside of mine looks like, wouldn't you have to drill a hole for the wires out and antenna in?

Is the radio free standing? How did you mount it?

I didn't know I had 2 speakers - thinking one. Lazy bugger I am. Just a holder, not an enthusiast. Although it was great to chauffeur my 3rd daughter in law in the old car last week.

I'd prefer an under dash solution, leaving the old speakers in place. Yep, I haven't even looked under the dashboard.
Can it be done? and be removed in 20 years

John Mantello
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, 25 June, 2013 - 11:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin, the back of the glove box pulls out therefore no hole drilling required the cables come in from the back perfectly. The radio is free standing as is OK as the "old girl" isn't driven in race conditions. The only downside is opening the glove box anytime a CD or station requires changing.Using the existing speaker and antenna makes it as authentic as possible. If I ever need to reverse the situation, easy as.

Colin Silver
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent info John. Appreciated. Sorry for late reply..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: