Gearbox Silver Cloud 3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Gearbox Silver Cloud 3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Francois Charlier
Yet to post message
Username: vonplum

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2011 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,
I have a little problem about my gearbox. there is a rough between 2 and 3 when the speed up.
Could you help me please

Thank you
vonplum (I am new on this forum)
Sorry for my english, I am french

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2011 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Francois,
This is unfortunately a fairly common problem which has given the Hydramatic transmission on our cars an undeserved bad name.
In most cases it has been caused by those not in the know (or the lazy), not checking the carburettor/transmission linkage after tuning the engine up as it can alter the gear change if the engine timing or engine idle speed has been re-tuned.

It can also mean that the transmission hasn’t been serviced for quite some time.

The first thing you can do is look for the simplest solution.

Take the car for a short drive and look at the speedometer and take note at what speed the car is doing when it goes into top gear (during gentle acceleration), it should select top gear at around 20 mph (about 32 kph). If it changes into top gear at a higher speed (say 25-30 mph), it is usually a sign that the Control Linkage is out of adjustment.

On the Control Linkage (under the car) that connects between the carburettors and the transmission, check to see if the linkage has been straightened; it should be slightly bent. If it is straight, you may need to bend it slightly and take the car for another drive to see if it has improved the gear change ( a certain amount of trial and error will be involved here).
If it is indeed bent, then you can adjust the length of the linkage by loosening the nuts on each end of it (again, a certain amount of trial and error by performing small adjustments and driving). If, after you have adjusted this linkage, you find that there is no more adjustment to be made, you can also adjust the top part of the Control Linkage where it connects to the carburettor linkages under the bonnet (Don’t tighten the screw down at the top of it though as you might find that your accelerator will stick on high speed, which can be a little embarrassing – if not dangerous).

In most cases, this should fix your problem. If it doesn’t, you will probably need to take it to a transmission centre for adjustment and service (make certain the mechanics are familiar with Hydramatic Transmissions).

Another cause could be that, in the past, the transmission was rebuilt using incorrect clutches from General Motors’ cars (such as the Cadillac). Their clutches are flat and are not suitable for R-R and B transmissions. Our ones use a ‘wavy’ clutch plate and if you have a bit of a search through the Technical Forum, you will find that Richard Treacy has put some excellent posts concerning this subject.

In the meantime, look for the control linkage and fault diagnosis sections in the Technical Section link below:
http://rrtechnical.info/autotransmissions/tsd2042.htm

Hope the above fixes your problem

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2011 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done, Robert! Your advice is an excellent example of why this Forum is so valuable. Top marks.

Cheers

John

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2011 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
Nice to hear from you again.
I hope it helps Francois with his problem.

Francois, please tell me how you fared.

Francois Charlier
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,
You are right the car remaided 2 years.
more I drive , less is the rough but I Will follow your checklist friday and i will tell you if it is better.
thank you very much for your help.
françois

Francois Charlier
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,
One more question
my problem is only between 2 and 3 all other change is good.
if I change the adjustment of linkage what is happening about the other change?
françois

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Francois / Peux je suggère que vous regardez l'homme de l'atelier pour votre voiture dans notre bibliothèque technique. Base diagnostic tests et la faute est couverte de

http://rrtechnical.info/autotransmissions/tsd2042.htm.

Lorsque vous avez les données à partir de ces nous pouvons avoir des discussions plus spécifiques.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Francois,

I’m not quite sure what Bill’s remarks are as I’m not conversant with the French language.

If the transmission was restored 2 years back, then I suspect that either the wrong flat discs were installed or the transmission was incorrectly adjusted (hopefully the latter).

The adjustment won’t affect the gear changes in any other gears as the jolt between 2 and 3 seems to always be the change up that is the culprit.

Wishing you success,

Robert

Francois Charlier
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2011 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry I mean my car was stationnary since 2 years.
the engine is refit but my gearbox is not refit (it is an original )
my kickdown is no perfect too and I believe that Robert Wort are on the correct diagnosis.
I will check the linkage and i will say you the result.
It is a great website and a good forum
Thank for your help
francois

Francois Charlier
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert Wort for your help.
My gearbox is good, no perfect but really acceptable .
no perceptible 1 to 2, good but perceptible 2 to 3 , no perceptible 3 to 4
Tomorrow I will set the Kick down.
With kind regards
francois

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2011 - 16:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, that’s excellent news François,

You might find that tuning the engine may improve it even further.
The Hydramatic will never be quite as smooth as the later GM 400’s but I must admit that I rather like the ‘mechanical feel’ of the Hydramatics when they are functioning as they should.

Thank you for telling us all how you went as well.

It can be quite frustrating when someone gives advice and never finds out how the advice was used.

It happens all the time to Bill Coburn and Richard Treacy and they have been of enormous help to many a forum member.

If you haven’t already done so, have a read through Bill Coburn’s Tee One Topics
http://rrtechnical.info/TeeOne/teeone.htm

You will find them informative, educational and very entertaining.

Bill has managed to eradicate the boredom out of technical publications with his wit.
You might say that he is the ‘Charles Dickens’ of the motoring fraternity.

Good luck with the kick-down

Cheers

Rob

Francois Charlier
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2011 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

some news about my gearbox,
now it is perfect, the kick down is set .
After your checklist all it i goog
thank you very much

françois

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2011 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s great news François,
Perhaps some other Silver Cloud/S series owners can take a leaf out of your book and get their transmissions working as they should.

Rob

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: