Opening the Grille Shutters on a Mark VI Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Opening the Grille Shutters on a Mark VI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2008 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help. We have here a UK delivered early Mk VI which has the early close fitting shutters. There was a scheme to open these up by drilling out rivets and swivelling the shutter open a bit. To do so means cutting out a little bit of the supporting frames. We are sure that there was a Service Bulletin on the topics that covered the procedure but we can't find it. Can anybody help with a copy pls?

Laurie Fox
Experienced User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2008 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill

The only reference that I can find is in Bulletin BB141, Section N of the Workshop Manual which you have already been kind enough to make available in the Technical Library. It doesn't say anything about cutting the frame, just soldering in the new position after taking some rivets out.

Regards

Laurie

(Message edited by laurie_fox on 19 April 2008)

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2008 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look at KDA132 Technical, Cylinder Blocks and a Few Deviations, page 9 - Shutter Angles, and page 10 - Fans & Pulleys for Australia.

Hope this helps!

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2008 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This article by Tony Ward may help: http://rroc.org.au/library/wideshut_tw.html

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 958
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2008 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris/ Thank you. You may not have realised I enlisted the corporate resources of your immediate forebears to find the very artical you have supplied with no success. I suspect the aging factor came to play. And to the rest of you, many thanks for your advice. Laurie, I just checked, I do not have a copy of 141 but I was sure I had seen it. What is the web address for the reference? For the moment I think we are running three libraries which doesn't really matter as long as we can find the stuff!

Laurie Fox
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill

BB141 is included in http://www.rroc.org.au/wiki/images/c/c5/11SectionNCOOLINGSYSTEMPUMPFAN.PDF

Regards

Laurie

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 959
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks yet again Laurie. Yesterday I reached 71 and so far most systems are still working. I am always amazed at how I can remember 50 year old trivea but can't find my glasses! At any rate this has been a great exercise - albeit a simple one of find the reference. That this forum brought together people with a common interest and a will to help can only be applauded. What a lot the tea and bikky mob miss!!!

Laurie Fox
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill

If the Lord is kind, as he has been in my case, you have a long way to go yet. I shall be 93 in a few weeks time and my dear wife and I celebrated out 69th wedding anniversary the other day. It is rather like running a high mileage MK VI and putting in serviceable spares from time to time - no cataract now so I only need glasses for reading.

B420EY is still in excellent shape and in regular use each week. I got a good spare set of half shafts a month or two ago on eBay so the next custodian will have something available if need be.

Best regards

Laurie

(Message edited by david_gore on 22 April 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: