Mk VI rusty fuel tank Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI rusty fuel tank « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
New User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2006 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
I drained my fuel tank and found the fuel was red with rust and lots of gunk came out the drain hole too. My car had been stood for several years before I bought it so evidently the tank had rusted inside.
I plan on removing the tank and having a new one made from either aluminium or stainless steel. I thought of using a modern fuel tank off another vehicle but could not find anything that looked like the Bentley.

Before I go to the expense of having a tank fabricated I wondered if anyone else had a similar problem and how did they get around it?

Cheers Mark

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2006 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark/ I imagine somewhere someone is making has made or will make a tank for you. Not an easy task. There are various means of cleaning them out which may be worthwhile if thre corrosion is not oo deep. These include chemical means and physical the latter by using gravel and a spit much like lapidary. Having got it clean it can be lined with a stuff which is a bit like latex I gather which will preserve it forever!

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2006 - 18:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mark
What Bill suggests is the standard do-it-yourself solution to attack this problem and works fine with the required patience in shaking and sloshing and tumbling the small chisels around in the tank to loosen the rust, provided there are no pin holes yet. The "latex" sealer stuff Bill mentiones can be had from Bill Hirsch Automotive (www.hirschauto.com, -> gas tank repair) for instance. This sticky sealer will effectively immobilise any fine rust particles not removed by the cleaning action.
An alternative method would be to bring the tank to your nearest radiator shop. Usually they also handle gas tanks and are aware of the safety precautions to take to avoid the explosion of residual gas fumes. They might cut open the tank to clean out the inside, will replace any portion with pin holes and reweld or resolder it after repairs. I do not think it will be necessary to build a complete new tank.

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: c211-30-231-163.carlnfd3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2006 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

When I got my car, it had pin holes in the bottom. I soldered these up, and tipped a handful of nuts and bolts into the tank, shook it around, and then tipped them out. I cleaned the filter every trip for the first half a dozen trips, and now all is good.

I have had a bad experience with the tank sealer on one of my bikes, the chemicals in modern fuel started to dissolve the gunk, and it blocked up the taps, filters and carbs, lucky not to cost me a new motor!

Cheers

Marty

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Anson
New User
Username: mark_anson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2006 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your replies.
I have had a look at the tank and it has several rust holes, some have been repaired with filler! The company I have found will make a brand new tank in stainless steel or aluminium as near to the original and fit it with a modern tank sender. I am happy to go down this route as I will always be worried did I get the last bit of rust out of the original tank.
Will let you know how I go with it and post some pictures of the finished tank.
Cheers Mark

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2009 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the picture as promised (just a couple of years late!). The tank has since been painted in clear lacquer and the two steel supporting bands replaced with stainless steel. Cheers Mark

Replacement fuel tank

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: