Hand throttle level broken Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Hand throttle level broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,
The hand throttle lever on my 1951 MKVI has broken off at the steering wheel. I am seeking either a source or repair advice. The knob itself is fine what appears to have broken is the actual plate that is under the the wheel boss.
Thanks

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 14:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/b/spares/12.pdf

Have you looked here ?
I had mine part many years ago, and what I remember is that the tubes are so long that they come in contact with the wool head-liner.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes thanks Jeff, I have heard that it is an interesting removal. I believe it is part #13. However I wonder if throttle control lever is the same as the ride control as I believe I can get my hands on one from an old R type.
Also how often do you use the hand throttle? I have yet to drive the car.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use mine all the time to set the fast idle when choked.
It depends what's broken exactly and in which order the tube is, you may have to remove a tube or two to get to the problem.
You may not have to take the tubes right out to get at the repair.

I do remember undoing the three bolts on the frame that holds the steering box in place.
This allowed me to angle the steering tube down enough to remove the tubes.
Eventually I serviced the steering box and took the whole thing out anyway, and also to replaced the rubber baffle on the bulk-head.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks,
Are there any pictures or drawings of the control levers under the wheel boss? The exploded diagram in the parts list is ok but would like to see a close up. Also looks like there is a lot spring loading going on.....

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are only 2 springs involved, the one under the horn button, and the 3 that control the tension on the sliding segmented teeth on the control knobs.
I grouped the three as one, because they are all the same and serve that one purpose to keep up and down tension on the knobs against the teeth.

Sorry, I don't have any photo's

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a look at mine, you have to undue nut "11" on group "N1"

The nut has locking tabs (number "27") that have to be bent back, the carbs pretty much have to removed to gain access, and to remove all the linkages from the 3 tubes.

This will allow the unit to slide out (the steering wheel does not have to be removed)

Once the unit is slid out, you can gain access to the 3 small bolts on "21" in group "N1" (the small bolts are not shown)

Removing the 3 small bolts will allow the removal of the cover "17" in group "N8"

"10" "9" and "8" levers will have to be removed so the tubes can be slid out, refer to group "N8"
(take note that the levers are "keyed", they can only go on one way, and they may be removed with out actually disconnecting them from all the linkage, but I'm not sure about that)

Take photos as you go along, it has to be done in order starting with the smallest tube at the end of the steering column.

Print out the pages of groups "N1" and "N8" to refer to.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great, thanks for your help.

Do you know if there is an intermediary piece between the lever knob and the actual plate?

As I look at my broken one there seems to be finger (that broke) that rests in a channel in the knob piece. It appears to be riveted in with one of the rivets having a raised ridge to act as the tooth to engage the serrations on the underside of the steering wheel center cover.

I still wonder if the lever setup off of an R type ride control lever would work. If not I am not sure what repair could be made at this point.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 16:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The part numbers are similar, RF 5002A and RF 5004A for the MK VI and RF 5003A for the R Type. I think the difference is in the size of the tube that it fits, but the knob and lever may be the same.
The R Types tubes probably are of different sizes consisting of only 2 tubes, or even just one as they have omitted the throttle and the choke of course being an auto choke, but aside from that, I'm sure the lever is the same as the MK VI.
The only control left is for the ride control.

I'm guessing that RR would leave it all the same as much as possible, why would they manufacture a different part just for these control knobs ?
Here's the link to the R Type, it does not include the actual part numbers, but one can figure it out.

https://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/r/spares/12.pdf

Yes, there maybe an intermediate piece, but I can't say for sure, but in the parts book, it does look like they consist of more then one part.
It's been more then 20 years since mine was apart.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 21:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff! That it shows the same part number is great. I will let you know how I make out.
Cheers
Graham

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: