Brake line fittings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Brake line fittings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

peter hooper
New User
Username: grubber

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2020 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Where can I get some brake line fittings.
I believe they are for 1/4 pipe, 7/16 20 tpi b ut have drawn a blank locally (Melbourne Area)

All help appreciated

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2020 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This may help (or may not):

Fluidline Systems, LLC http://www.fluidlinesystems.net/ Full line of Bijur parts
2008 North Holland Sylvania Rd also http://www.bijuronline.com/
Toledo, OH 43615
Phone: (419) 535-1313
e-mail: sales@fluidlinesystems.net

taken directly from RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2020 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops. I have no idea why I read "brake line" and thought Bijur!!

Sorry!

Brian

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2020 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Either one of these vendors will have what you need:

https://automec.co.uk/
https://www.inlinetube.com

http://BritishToolWorks.com

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.156.245.183
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2020 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try ebay or Amazon.co.uk.

They are 7/16" UNF, and are made by Clarik Engineering in Glasgow.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.138.38
Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2020 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

Exactly for which car model do you require these brake fittings?

peter hooper
New User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2020 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for missing details but it is for a 52 R type B176 SR, I thought that these cars pre dated UN threads

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.156.245.154
Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2020 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

7/16" UNF. 20 t.p.i.

The Unified threads are the USA contemporary threads to the Fine Whitworth Form.
However the brake cylinder parts were threaded UNF.

7/16" BSF is 18 t.p.i.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Saturday, 01 February, 2020 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher has kindly supplied a photograph of these fittings which I am posting on his behalf:

fittings

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2020 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

The cars were indeed made and designed before the B1.1-1949 Unified standard of 1949 was raised, but that standard encompassed some of the former American National Standards used on these cars.

Be extremely careful choosing brake fittings for the R Type and in particular the front brake bleeder screws and hoses. Do NOT buy the bleeder screws in the USA as you are most likely to be supplied with UNF screws.

These bleeders, (which are different to the Mk VI type), are 0,312 dia 24 TPI, screwed RH Whitworth form. Note, these are NOT standard Whitworth thread sizing, nor are they UNF which matches that TPI. They are part number RG 5253 and special.

The front brake hoses RG 8484 (Lockheed part KL101024L) are thread internally at each end 0.4375 inch ANFS (UNF) x 20 TPI, however they are threaded externally at each end 0.625 inch x 26 TPI Whitworth Form. The hoses are 13.5 + 0.250 inch between the hex end faces. You may find replacements at 15.5 inch long enabling the brake assembly to be extracted over the stub axle without detaching the hydraulics.

The master cylinder adapter is an ANFS (UNF) thread, but I cannot bring to mind the exact thread of the three way coupling on the right side front. The steel pipes are certainly 0.250 inch diameter and I have a feeling the gland / tube nuts on the pipes are UNF and when the cars were new they may have taken BSF Wrenches instead of A/F.

As the pipes are 0.250 inch diameter, 7/16 inch UNF will not fit, that size is for 3/16th pipe.

For all the Bentley and Rolls Royce brake part fittings I have used in UK, I always used.

PAST PARTS
Unit 4 Chase Road
Northern Way Industrial Estate
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP32 6NT
Tel:- 01284 750729
Fax:- 01284 756240
http://www.pastparts.co.uk

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 01 February, 2020 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

I took the liberty of making sure you had the exact fitting sizes by taking all the dimensions directly from parts drawings as I am aware of different naming standards. It has occurred to me that you might even use a different descriptive standard, and this thread is initially confusing and needs more comment.

The most common brake hydraulic pipe size, post war, on classic cars is 3/16 inch diameter. The usual male tube nut used with this pipe size is 3/8 th UNF threaded 24 TPI and the wrench size is 7/16th AF. Usually referred as “7/16th tube nut” and often “ 7/16th tube nut for 3/16th pipe”. These tube nuts and female counterpart are silver in colour to differentiate from the metric tube nuts that are gold in colour, and they will not fit the Bentley.

The Bentley and a very few large cars are piped with 0.250 inch tube using 7/16th inch UNF 20 TPI threaded tube nuts, 9/16th ? A/F. These are also referred as “7/16th tube nuts” and often, as they are not common, as “7/16th 20 TPI tube nuts for ¼ inch pipe”. These fitting are used on the Bentley.

As will be seen above, the former are referred by reference to the hex size, the latter by the thread size. To add to the confusion one company advertises the former type tube nuts for ¼ inch pipe as a special!!

By chance I have spoken to Past Parts every day this week about another brake system and I established that they have no R Type bleeder screws. They are listed by Flying Spares and Introcar.

I hope this settles any confusion, if not refer to Google it uses all the above “standards” <smile>

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.182.228
Posted on Saturday, 01 February, 2020 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Past Parts also reline brake wheel and master cylinders with a stainless steel sleeve, cemented with Permabond to resist hydraulic leakage.
They know more about these old parts than anyone else, but buy the fittings in from other suppliers.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2020 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher has kindly sent me a photo of the fittings for me to post on his behalf:

fitting

peter hooper
New User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 08 February, 2020 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally got what I needed and thank you all for your input, much appreciated

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: