Dual Point Distributor - Mystery Issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Dual Point Distributor - Mystery Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 866
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2018 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re: 1955 Silver Dawn SUJ128

Today I did a radiator and block flush and replenished the antifreeze and then tried to start the engine. Normally the Dawn fires up instantly even when cold, but this time it was FTP. Engine spun, but not even a cough. Checked ignition fuse, fuel pumps, observed for loose coil wire, etc, etc. Opened distributor to verify spark at points and using circuit tester found that when I used the point of the tester to open one point arm the test light came on as soon as the points broke but nothing on the other point. Odd? I assumed that both points should have the same effect. So here is the question: Are the two points redundant, that is, do they both spark at the same time for each cylinder as the cam rotates or do they spark alternately at each cylinder position? If the later, I would assume that only half of the cylinders would fire if one set of points is dead.
Anyway I should comment that there are two condensers attached to the outer body of the distributor, but only one is connected to the hot red wire from the coil to the side of the distributor. The car has always been this way and I have simply assumed that the non-connected one is a "spare". In the past and out of curiosity and with the engine running, I have touched the "spare" condenser wire to the side terminal to see what happens and noticed an arc as the wire touched the side terminal but there was no change in the engine idle rhythm and so I have just always left it non-connected. Anyway, on a whim, I jumped the starter terminals and as the engine turned but did not fire, I touched the loose wire of the "spare" condenser to the side terminal and "bingo" the engine fired immediately and continued purring even when I removed the wire from the side terminal. It is as if touching the spare condenser cured the non-start problem. Turned engine off and it fired up immediately as always before. Now I am just wondering what is going on and when this mystery problem will remanifest itself. Any comments or observations to relate to me from those of you who know better than I? I realize I just threw out a lot of information and symptoms but if anything makes sense, let me know? As always...Thanks!!

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2018 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian
Firstly - the Delco "dual point" distributor contact breakers work as follows, one set of points fire 3 cylinders and the other set of points fire the other 3 cylinders, the points must be synchronized to fire at the correct point of the firing stroke. The workshop manual gives a very good explanation of the process to set-up the distributor.
Second - the "spare" condensor is just that, a spare for when the other fails.
I'm not sure what is happening in your particular case, sounds like the original condensor may be faulty, however check for any loose connections.
Trust that helps.
Regards
David

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2018 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I gave up with the twin points, got a 6 lobe shaft fitted, now uses a $5 holden set of points instead of the expensive twin points, so much easier to adjust.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.149.112.129
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2018 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David is right about the faulty condenser.
Single points are not advised.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2018 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher
What are the disadvantages to the single points over the dual points? I have not noticed any difference in performance.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2018 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not invoking the Devil's Wrath here but if the issue does manifest itself again, I will then know if the same remedy works. Meanwhile I am simply surprised that a defective condenser would be revived by connecting the spare and that a temporarily defective condenser would completely kill the ignition sequence and prevent the engine from starting...nothing, not even a cough. I suppose I could test that theory by disconnecting both condensers and see if that prevents the engine from starting. I'm thinking I should simply ask theoretically and leave well enough alone and not be disconnecting things! Devil's Wrath and all...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: