MKVI outside door handles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » MKVI outside door handles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BIgBen
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.30.165.182
Posted on Monday, 21 March, 2016 - 22:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to separate my outside door handles from the square shank and sleeve for re-chroming or replacing on B366NZ. I have the handles removed from the car but cannot figure out how to get the shank and handle to part company.
Any ideas?
Thanks
p.s.
tried to sign up for the forum a while ago (Graham508) and am still waiting a response.....

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BigBen,

To complete registration, you have to click on an activation link which is sent to you by our Administrator. Unfortunately the duration of the link is limited and it is common for the return email with the link to be redirected to a Trash or Spam folder by your browser never to be seen in time to complete the registration.

I suggest you relodge your application with a new user name [the original one cannot be reactivated unfortunately] and keep checking your Inbox, Trash and Spam folders for the activation email.

Graham Watson
Yet to post message
Username: graham508

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Dave,
Received my activation link.

Graham Watson
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher,
I think I am asking the wrong question. When I removed the outside door handle I also had to remove the outside chrome trim piece that the handle passes through. What I am looking for is how to remove that trim piece. It appears that I have to somehow remove what looks like a washer that is located at the bottom of the assembly from the shank. Then I think I will be able to see the rivet pin you mentioned.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham...
You might consider posting a photo of the piece that illustrates and supplements your verbalization.

Graham Watson
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian,
That's a good idea.
Handle 1Handle 2

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham...
Christopher Carnley has a lot of experience with this era and will know, but my guess from the photo is that the corners of the shaft have been peened to retain the cap.

Door Handle Shaft

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Door Handle Shaft 2

Graham Watson
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christian,
I was afraid that would be the case.
No troubles grinding off the crimps, just don't know how to go about putting them back!
Reminds me of the headlight reflector fun I had.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2016 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dabs of epoxy?

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.16.93
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2016 - 03:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian as totally correct, but try to peen down the raised metal with a small hammer, on an anvil.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Graham Watson
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2016 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks everyone for the help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: