Engine transplant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Engine transplant « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
I have purchased a 4.5 l engine which I intend to install in my Mk6 special to replace the 4.25l eng which has a cracked block. From experience can anyone advise whether it is easier to remove the engine and gear box from the car in one piece and then split them or will it be simpler to just remove the engine and mate the new one to the gearbox in situ.
I will not be doing this transplant until later in the year, but I am trying to formulate a plan of action.
Any information would be gratefully received
Regards
Mark

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, 07 September, 2010 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it is generally easier to leave the gearbox in place, and that is what most will do on this model. The clutch cover must come out with the engine because you cannot raise the cover due to interference with the bulkhead. If your floor comes out easily, take it out to access the two upper nuts where the gearbox fastens to the clutch cover. If you cannot get the floor out, that makes it more difficult. You can reach the nuts from below, but you will need to lower the back end of the gearbox until the clutch cover contacts the two little frame extensions on the sides. Before lowering the gearbox, disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifolds and loosen the bolts where the pipe attaches to the fromt the front muffler. It is not necessary to remove the exhaust pipe from from the car.

Before extracting the engine, take the starter motor off. Otherwise the starter will interfere with the exhaust pipe as you move the engine up and forward.

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 07 September, 2010 - 15:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill
Thank you for your feedback it seems that this is the way to go, I think I can just reach the top bolts, without removing the floor, but will see how it pans out when I get started on the job, hopefully in another couple of months. Will keep you posted how I go.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: