Phantom 1 crankshaft vibration dampers? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Phantom 1 crankshaft vibration dampers? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

P.P. Jones
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.92.168.167
Posted on Saturday, 20 September, 2003 - 11:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings all,

Please jog my memory.

My father (HP Jones), with 1929 P1 CL23, was a founder-member of the Victorian branch, and as a student in Melbourne I attended far more club meetings than he did, being a country farmer.

And I recall of course the annual Queen's Birthday interstate meetings in Wagga (and later Mildura after the SA club began). One particular year I remember making the journey to Wagga with CPKW in his (1923?) Barker-bodied fully-disappearing cabriolet 20hp. My! how that car could go --"leaping from crag to crag" as CPKW put it -- up the Hume Highway of those days, at close to 60 mph all day, and all night too on the return trip.

I was sorry to hear recently of Patrick's death. The 20 hp I hope is still in club hands.

All that is by way of digression and introduction.

I write here to ask that my memory be jogged as to the presence or otherwise of harmonic vibration dampers on the crankshafts of Phantom 1s? I seem to recall reading a manual or a paper on the importance, setting and adjustment of these dampers, but am I confusing this with something else? Too early I expect for vulcanised metal/rubber discs.

Did the P1 have a crankshaft vibration damper? If so, could someone describe in rough terms its operation? Was it a carry-over from the Ghost?

Very many thanks,

P.P. Jones.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: