Negative Earth? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Negative Earth? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Storrar
New User
Username: stogs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
I have recently acquired a 1933 20/25 (GBA29) and one of the first things I would like to do is change the bulbs to LED.
I had assumed that the car is negative earth, but I thought I would double check the battery connections as the ammeter swings in the wrong direction, showing charging when it is clearly discharging.
Indeed it seems that the car is currently positive earth - negative battery terminal to chassis showing 13v.
I wonder if this is a mistake by a previous owner in connecting the battery the wrong way round?
The car has no gadgets at all fitted and is very original (and well looked after) - is it as simple as reversing the leads on the battery and will the dynamo field reverse 'itself'?Battery

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had no problems when reversing the leads. You might want to check your ignition coil and change the leads on the coil. It will work either way but be down some 10% in output.

Paul Storrar
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 20 December, 2021 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Dorien - I am pleased to report back that a simple reversal of the battery leads and the car is back to negative earth and all running fine.
It must have been a mistake the last time the battery was changed, so perhaps the coil output will be higher now.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

How did yo go with LED globe suppliers?

I'd appreciate hearing your experience.

Many thanks

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure if you have seen this site. No idea if they are any good... just showing the link for information.

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used Classic and Vintage Bulbs on my three cars, and have put in LEDs for headlights including my Wraith WXA68. All work well using the bulbs and fittings from C&VB.They are good to deal with and gave me good advice when I had the odd query.
I have put LEDs in all my instruments except for the ignition light (which cannot be LED) and I can actually read my instruments well.

Paul Storrar
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2022 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,
I have replaced all the bulbs, save for the brake lights & indicators, with LEDs from Gil Keane at bettercarlighting.co.uk.

The LED headlight bulbs (in Lucas R170) initially gave a very poor beam pattern with the LEDs (lighting up the trees above, rather than straight ahead), but there was enough adjustment in the bulb holder to produce a very good beam with the correct cut off when dipped.

I need to run some new wiring to convert the sidelights to function as indicators, with one of Gil's kits as I don't want to rely solely on the semaphores. I have fitted one of these kits to 1954 R Type and it is great, leaving the car flashing on all corners without the addition of indicator pods.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: