Hoist suitable for 20/25? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Hoist suitable for 20/25? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AlanKerr
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.168.135.139
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Constructing a new shed for the 20/25 and aim to install a hoist. Seeing if anyone uses a 2 post hoist for the older Rolls or is a 4 poster the way to go?
Alan Kerr GNS4

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will enjoy the lift. I’ve had one for about 10 years and it increased my enjoyment factor in the shop exponentially!!
I use a two post lift on my Wraith Limousine with no issues. It is a 10,000 pound lift.
Certain jobs are better with a four post, but in my case, I find having the wheels free on a two post is more useful.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For safety reasons, I prefer a 4 post hoist to a 2 post hoist as the risk of uneven balance causing a car to move on or even fall off a two post hoist is much less with the 4 post at the penalty of some additional obstruction of access from the support posts.

The heavier the vehicle, the greater the risk of balancing problems.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have nothing to add except envy.

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 4 post lift and would NEVER consider a 2 post for vintage cars, especially a SH Rolls due to the chassis stringers.
A 4 post is inheritantly safer and can be placed above grade without lagging/bolting to the floor.

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, 26 August, 2021 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m the odd man out it seems! If a car is going up on jack stands for an afternoon, that’s the same as a lift from my point of view. I also don’t leave cars in the air while not working on them. (I do mess around with a variety of vehicles and not all vintage. I do play with racing cars where 4 wheels clear is a necessity). If I had room for both types of lifts, I’d have them both for sure!

Also, I do take into account load dispersion and use some common sense when lifting. I also lift my 1 ton truck with no issues, but care must be had with basic laws of physics!

DorienBerteletti
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 174.88.137.249
Posted on Thursday, 26 August, 2021 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have many cars including GP cars and the 4 post allows me to lift any or all wheels via small jacks. Another good point is that I can store a car or stuff? under the hoist with a car on the hoist. Essentially it can become a storage tool with the car sitting on the ramps in it's normal operating position and not have the suspension stretched at unnatural angles for long periods of time.

AlanKerr
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.168.135.139
Posted on Thursday, 26 August, 2021 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all for your thoughts, much appreciated. Sorry Theo, I won’t ask for help on the spray booth, wheel balancer or lathe:-). Probably leaning towards a 4 post hoist after some further homework.

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, 26 August, 2021 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I based my shed design on the Lionel Gell School of Instruction (LGSI) in Victoria which has four 4 post lifts. Using a rolling jack makes lifting the wheels a snack. By not requiring the hoist to be bolted to the ground, and using the ability of the fittings to make the hoist mobile, I used the hoist to raise the heavy air compressor I purchased onto the roof of my office within the shed. The ability to easily relocate the hoist anywhere in my shed is a real bonus in addition to joy of being able to raise and lower the cars at a whim.

JonasTrachsel
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 85.7.52.221
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sirs
I have a 2-post lift to do service work on my 20/25 HP. The arms are too short to reach to support the front. Hence I have to use a wooden beam under the front chassis stringers (see picture). I wouzld prefer a 4-poster with a hydraulic axle jack on rails, but now I have this 2-poster and have to live with it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: