20/25 Dash instrumentation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » 20/25 Dash instrumentation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theo Whitmont
New User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2020 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been looking long and hard at the dash of my 20/25.

Clearly not everything is as it should be. Aside from the woeful state of the timberwork which I am about to get moving on (hence the long hard look) I am now asking myself what is original here?

To restore the dash, I have to ask "restore to what"?

Any ideas on what's new here? The indicator lever and light of course aren't original. Anything else?

Has anyone a clever idea about where to move these or hide them? Should this be done?

I'm also wondering how do go about finding the original specs. Would this be included in the build sheets of the car?

Note: Dash arch removed to find leaks....but thats another job.

Many thanks in advance

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2020 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure I understand the problem. I have a 20-25 with similair features. The dash was usually a coachbuilders issue and so not necessarily on a build sheet. Mine wasn't.

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2020 - 22:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Dorien. Really just trying to get a feel of what looks right and what’s been bunged on over the years.

Would like to get rid of any bibs and bobs that aren’t true to version so to speak.

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2020 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a better shot.

Dorien Berteletti
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2020 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you search around on the internet and in cars for sale in the UK you will see 100's of dash layouts.
It will give you some idea but as I said, it was up to the Coach-builder and the customer.

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.63.200
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2020 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why change it and remove period "improvements," revealing lots of nasty little holes, that have worse fillers, along with the staining from the "add ons"?

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2020 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is an extract from "Rolls-Royce 20HP, 20/25, 25/30 & Wraith In Detail" by Nick Walker page 91. This car is a 1933 20/25 with a body by Rippon, chassis GSY73.
GSY73

There is another oval section on a dash on Page 69 of the book, but that particular one is a wooden section on a 1929 20HP Barker tourer GEN16.

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2020 - 00:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John - it all looks alot cleaner than mine. I'm very wary about trying to clean the faces of the various gauges - but like so much of the restoration game, you have to stop somewhere or you end up going mad (or more mad!). Nice of you to post.

Christopher - The reason for my asking is that as the dash needs a new veneer, I have a bit of freedom to 'reset the clock'. For instance you might notice that I have a cigarette lighter and 2 ashtrays on the dash. These seem original but I havent seen such items on other dashboards. Hence the question.

I suspect they will make it onto the new dash unless I get some information that they were installed much later. I'm really of two minds.

Dorien Berteletti
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2020 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've included a picture of mine. I had no wood dash left ..not even for a patterns as it was lost by a previous owner. All I had was the metal center piece and instruments.
I looked at various pictures of cars on line and made up my own...a clean slate.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2020 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

My 1938 Wraith, WXA68 has a cigar lighter on the main dash, and an ash tray on the upper dash which has a wooden cover so it is almost invisible. These are original, although the car is a lot newer than yours.

It is very likely that your lighter and pull-out ashtrays are part of the original fittings. I would be tempted to leave them installed. A mate with a
very original 1934 20/25 based in the UK, has a lighter which he was able to get a plug to put into it to run his GPS. I will ask him about ashtrays as I have forgotten.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2020 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry about the almost duplicates. I pushed the button twice and the first message seemed to disappear. Old age is catching up

John, I have combined both posts and deleted the duplicate content. A "seniors moment" but nothing serious .

David

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2020 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dorian - looks great!

John, thanks for the idea of using the lighter for a power source. Thats a great idea! At this point I think I will reinstate the lot although if I was going to cull something it would be the indicator lever and associated blinking light.

I have been recommended to a great veneer restorer so I will repost when its all done. Wont be until mid 2021....hopefully we will be past Corona and enjoying a bit of open road sans face masks!!

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2020 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo
My mate's 20/25 in the UK has the cigarette lighter as mentioned in my earlier posting, and it has a round pull-out ashtray as well. This is a very original vehicle all round, and has not had any body restorations done on it.

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2020 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So final question.....

has anyone seen a good integration of the indicator knob? Mine is a bit clunky and I'd be keen to hear how others have handled it better?

Dorien Berteletti
New User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2020 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is not period correct...more from the 60s so I mounted it on the steering column, but behind the instrument panel. Not the most convenient location, but for now that's it.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, 24 August, 2020 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the dash of my mate's 20/25 which is in Victoria. The photo appeared in the Nick Walker book page 82, and was taken before he bought it in the UK and shipped it to Australia. This is another original car in all respects. The indicator switch has the same handle as those on the main ignition/lighting panel, so it must be an original fitting.
dash

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, I think you are referring to the starting carby control in the photo of GNS60 above. It's original blinkers involved dropping the split signalling window and throwing your arm out! Buttercup is now fitted with the ubiquitous 1950's clock spring trafficator timer switch as fitted to Mk VI Bentleys. It is on the RHS not shown in the above photo. New Phantom 56 MC 'Ruby' has a simple toggle switch fitted to the lower edge of the dash.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, 25 August, 2020 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Mark

Apologies to Theo and all for getting this wrong.
I am red-faced!

Theo Whitmont
New User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 26 August, 2020 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No need to be red faced John. I appreciate you trying to assist.

Best wishes & thanks

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, 26 September, 2020 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am a bit late to chime in.
a) My car has its indicator lever fitted behind the the instrumentpanel near the steering column. It has the controllamp integrated in the handle. If I am not mistaken this is a Bosch item still available.
b) I have an overdrive fitted to my car. The control lamp to indicate wether it is engaged is fitted from behind the windshield trim rail. Ditto the control lamp for high beam (not in the picture).
Don't let you fool by the suction cup and cables for the GPS in the pictures.
Indicator switch w greenish controllamp in handle
Jonas

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 03:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here is a photo of the overdrive control lamp fitted to the windshield rail:

Apart from these items my dashboard has two switches fitted each side symmetrical to the instument cluster. One is for the heater blower motor and the second operates the fog lamps that I have fitted with LED bulbs and use them as daylight driving lights. No other additional holes disfigure my dashboard.
Jonas

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: