Wraith reservoir Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Wraith reservoir « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 02 December, 2017 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello
I have recently acquired wxa99, 1938 Wraith. This weekend I will be familiarizing myself with the car. On my short test drive, I have found the suspension to be very hard, so will be looking into that.
There is a square reservoir next to centralized lubrication reservoir. Can you tell me what this is?
Thank you,
Jack

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.136.51.222
Posted on Saturday, 02 December, 2017 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most likely it is the oil "reservoir" for the built in hydraulic jacking system, operated from within the car.

The front suspension is by a strange knee jerk, GM derived oil filled arrangement, similar to the P3.

The rear leaf springs may have rusted, and rusted springs act together as just one leaf---hard.

The gearbox design is the worst that R-R came up with, and I wish never to see another, there are double lever and cam interlock complications.

The rear axle is very strong and the best to date, but the oil seals leak and it is a complete dismantling job to get at them. You have to use the Derby Bentley tools, very slightly modified.

The exhaust valve seats have a habit of cracking, so keep the anti freeze up to level and date.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Christopher. You are correct, it is to the jacking system. The valves are still under the floor, but the previous owner informed me that the system has been disconnected. Thank you for the additional information. I oiled the front a rear dampers and she seems to ride a bit smoother. The car has covered a very small distance in the past 10 years, so perhaps the exercise did her some good. I have flushed the cooling system and will watch the level carefully. Thanks for the warning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: