Rear hub bearing spacer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Rear hub bearing spacer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hugh Morrow
New User
Username: iconic

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 08 September, 2004 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have recently overhauled the rear hubs on my 20HP. When reassembling the hubs I noticed a 2-4mm gap between the spacer and bearings which seems to defeat the purpose of the spacer.

One theory provided was that the first bearing to be inserted (the outer one) should not be pushed home fully. Then the spacer and the second bearing should be inserted, with this assembly being used to drive the first bearing home. This allows the axle tube nut to hold the first bearing in place (which cannot be tightened enough to push the bearing back against the spacer). However if this is the case it would appear that the hub would be able to move laterally 'over' the brearings which are fixed in place on the axle tube.

What is the answer? Are my bearings too narrow?

Thanks in anticipation,

Hugh
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John McQuay
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.191.160.125
Posted on Monday, 27 September, 2004 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hugh,
You do not mention the year of your car,but you should not have lateral movement.What size are your bearings?You can contact me on 0412322297 if I can be of help.John McQuay

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: