Vladimir's Album Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Vladimir's Album « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir has sent me some photos to post on his behalf - I have captioned these as he describes them:

1. Purple R-R Silver Spirit at Mount Coolon - Winter is very dry here!

Spirit 1

2. Purple R-R Silver Spirit with 1958 Mark 1 Jaguar Project.

3. Other side of R-R Silver Spirit.

4. Mount Coolon - Police Station on left, lock-up on right straight across the road. Buildings were abandoned in 1967 - Sweet!!

fog 1

5. Spooky fog at day break.

fog 2

6. Ah - this is the life: no traffic, pollution, politicians, door knockers or neighbours. With land tax at $22 per week, I can live with it indefinitely. Cheers Vladimir:

fog 3

7. Mark 1 Jaguar at very foggy sunrise a week ago:

fog 4

Thanks Vladimir, I am sure our international members will find your locality interesting!!!!!!!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 951
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David many thanks for putting the photos up for me.Vladimir

Service with a smile as always.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

looks lovely Vlad.
What about my girlfriend? the lady who runs the pub?
we have photos of the cop shop but none of the pub.... what have you been smoking man???

Lovely Spirit. It sits well and looks very regal. I like the chrome fender skirts are they aftermarket?
I need one of those for the front driver's side (LHD car) for my Bentley Continental (Corniche III). Any ideas where to buy one of those?

Grand Master

Post Number: 952
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I will get photos of pub up soon. Arrh the chrome wheel arches sorry, no idea where to get them as mine came with the car.

Perhaps I should tell you that your "girlfriend" is already married albeit to a twit and one day I will most likely meet your wife and daughters and therefore in the interest of saving both our lives from the jealousy of axe wielding females your application for nefarious capers has been declined!

Grand Master

Post Number: 953
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I googled "chrome wheel arches" and quite a number came up. Flying Spares was there too so I would contact them first

David Gore

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

One day sooner than you think, we three will meet at the same time and the world will never be the same again!!

One thing for certain, I would very much like to have a beer or 10 with you both in Vladimir's pub - I am an addict of the genuine outback pub however they are diminishing in number as "civilisation" spreads its tentacles across our wide, brown land.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chaps
I will tag along with the camera to record this event.

David Gore

Post Number: 2924
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

We should combine this with a truck road test - I am sure a video featuring a suitable road train prime mover, the Mount Coolon pub, the local roads and Vladimir would be a great sales aid!!!!

Yes - your role as camera operator would be subject to the condition that you also participate drinkingrolling

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have just launched a brand new B Double spec prime mover David, and I am currently doing ride & drive days around the country with a number of these and a number of driver trainers.
I could surely arrange a prime mover to head to this remote part of our country.

Love the back end of the Falcon Panel Van making an appearance in the photo Vlad.

David Gore

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I knew you could not resist the temptation..................

Seriously, I think the right cameraman and a suitable story line could have a great outcome and cut through to many truck purchasers.

David Gore

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The air waves between Mount Coolon and Old Bar have been busy - more photos from Vladimir......

1. On the way to pub - this was the original home of a Mr Barclay who refused to shake the hand of Tom Coolon after he shot and killed 4 men in 1918. Vladimir advises this is a great place for a R-R International Meet - food is good and alcohol is plentiful. All Forum Grandmasters will get a free bed [?? in the bus??] at Vladimir's lair.

2. Inside the bar 2 minutes from Vladimir's front gate [the bar passes my Queensland quality check; the obligatory bottle of Bundaberg Rum is front and dead centre on the shelf behind the bar!]:

3. The bar looking East:

4. The bar looking West:

5. Outside looking West:

6. Outside front - dog in foreground is called Darth Vader and belongs to the publican's granddaughter - oh it is so ugly!!

7. View when walking from my place - sign on roof for thirsty aircraft pilots!

8. Outside main entrance - young stockman with alcohol going to have a smoke outside [smoking indoors in public places is banned in Australia for health reasons]:

Overseas forum members viewing these images are now well on the way to becoming honorary Australians ........ There is a practical test that has to be passed before full status is conferred however this has to be kept confidential as practising beforehand is not permitted

Grand Master

Post Number: 955
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2018 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ha David and much thanks for posting more of my pics.

Decades ago I remember telling a young lady whose carnal delights I did enjoy that one day I would drive a Rolls Royce.

And she said and I do quote verbatim " who do you think you are?"

Indeedy jetsetters. Now in the winter of my life I own not one but two Rolls Royces and certainly no other person in my humble town owns such cars other than me!

But then they don't own a Cadillac either.

I am indeed a custodian and proud to be.

I often think if the young could see and appreciate the beauty, and the workmanship in such vehicles perhaps maybe they would not be so interested in the horribleness of blowing their lives away on ice and other substances.

Once these cars are gone, they will be gone forever.

I marvel at their beauty. These are fantastic dedications of perfection or as close to perfection as we will ever get.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 01:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For our overseas friends I thought I would take this opportunity to post a few more snaps showing some more elements of the Australian outback. (My apologies to you Vladimir, I know there is no place like Mount Coolon)

The Veranda
Essential for helping to keep the heat out but also helps if it does rain…..
(It is almost ”We will all be ruined” said Hanrahan)

the verandah}

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Red Kelpie.

It’s not the bush in my book, unless there is one of the fantastic dogs around the place somewhere.

red kelpie

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The outback dunny(s).
One for him. One for her.
(I know, it is not a R-R but almost one.)

dunnies

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found this picture of an iconic Aussie pub

outdoor pub

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely place Australia.
I visited in 2000 and fell in love with the place. Saw the verandas and the outback too.

The Mount Coolon invitation is a great one - especially that inviting pub. Patrick, David Vlad and a few beers sounds dangerous and also fun. All we need is Richard Yeaman and Alan Dibley and OMG what a hoot that would be. We will throw in a Belgain for good measure with Benoit and that gentlemen sounds to me like a great adventure for November of this year.....
in Birmingham......

Back to this thread for now......

Vlad - thanks for the tip, yes Flying Spares do have the chrome wheel arches but you need to buy a set of 4. I have 3 good ones and one dinged one. That's why I only want one.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Out of curiosity...what is the source of the moisture necessary to have morning fog? Looks to be a rather arid region and ocean is over 100 miles away?

Omar...
I suspect that finding a source for a single trim piece may be similar to finding a source for a single shoe for instance. Repair may be the only resolution and no doubt already occurred to you. Just saying.

David Gore

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

The inland fog or frost is a normal winter event on dead calm clear nights where there is no air movement whatsoever.

There is some humidity in the air from plant transpiration during daylight even though it is the middle of a drought. Inland winter nights even in the temperate/tropic zones in winter can be very cold if there is no cloud cover and weather systems are bringing cold air from the Antarctic over the continent.

The result is either a heavy frost or fog depending on the air temperature and level of moisture in the air. The upside is a morning frost or fog invariably means a beautiful fine, sunny and still day without chilly winds.

Grand Master

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry, great photos of four RR at Daly Waters Hotel in the Northern Territory.

I have fond memories of flying up that highway in my 1974 Black Cadillac Fleetwood at 120 miles per hour. Completely legal in those days. As long as you were not driving a heap at high speed the police would not bat an eyelid at you regardless of how fast you were travelling.

Then came the Cannonball Run along with a Japanese Dentist driving a Ferrari F40. Obviously, he was a lousy driver and he lost control of it killing himself and his navigator and others. Up jumped the media, squawk, squawk, paranoia blat, squark and then in came the politicians and the NT lost its unlimited speed limit and out the window went one of Australia's freedoms.

NT speed limit was put at 130kph in certain areas and I believe there is a small strip of highway where you can still go faster.

Patrick, we don't have too many double Bs where I am as most trucks are road trains ie prime mover hauling four trailers. In the trailers mostly cattle or coal. In fact there are two of these monsters going from a coal mine in Collinsville to Mount Isa to keep the power station out there supplied. I think that's pretty close to 1000 kilometers.

Christian about 5 minutes walk from my place is a large weir/dam and it turns into a water fall once a year when the rains come. Perhaps some of that fog is from the sunlight hitting the water.

Omar, Flying Spares wrecks a lot of RR/B so I think it would be worth your while to see if they have one of those chrome wheel arch mouldings to sell. The ones on my Spirit are mild steel chromed. You could possibly use a dolly and panel beating hammer to repair yours and then have it rechromed. Difficult but not impossible. Its all a question of how stretched the metal is and there are techiques to shrink the metal but if it's really mangled then replacement is your only option.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 14:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Vladimir on the 2006 drive to the Daly Waters Pub some of us opened up the Crewe V8’s on the unlimited speed limited sections and how the drivers relished the experienced with the consensus being that the cars went better after the experience than before. (The Italians call it tuning up the engine.)

ouback

Grand Master

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 14:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry, very interesting photo. I notice you are at 100mph/160kph and the oil pressure guage is just below the solid area on the guage.

These oil guages confuse me. Could you please tell me if the needle should be in that position. For some reason I have a thought it should be at least in the centre of the solid part or is it normal for these guages to read low?

Ditto for the temperature guage. You seem to be running very cool there.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 15:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like a rat up a drainpipe I’ve been caught out Vladimir. The picture is not mine. But it IS taken by a fellow traveler on that phenomenal journey in his SSII. (Mark, if you see this post you might like to answer Vladimir’s questions.)
If the outside air temperature is in the range 30-40C the temperature gauge on my SSII runs just under the middle of the white section of the scale. My car also runs best at this temperature with the carburetor leaning-off valve working accordingly and the like. At lower temps, say 20C and below the gauge shows just on the white section. I change the (genuine) thermostat every couple of years and keep a keen eye on the cooling system, fixing the radiator and header tank a few times in the last 18 years of ownership.
The oil pressure gauge on my 1977 SSII appears to read a bit low when the engine is hot similar to the picture above. (This I interpret as the Genesis of a Heart Attack). I have had the OP checked when hot with a calibrated gauge and it is within specification- normal. Likewise, the separate oil pressure switch has given me some grief over the years as several aftermarket switches caused the light to flicker on idle and I found the answer, once again, is to fit the genuine Crewe part and that was the end that issue.
Although twelve years ago I do remember how well the Shadow handled at that sort of speed. (Mine has the heavy duty Bentley anti-roll bar fitted at the front plus new Bilstein’s on all fours). The car sat down on the road and felt completely at home. So different to the present 100/110 KPH experience. Harry

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,
I bet the Shadow was using as much fuel at that speed as the coal carrying road train Vlad mentioned!!

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually Patrick it was as not as horrendous as one might think. From memory I think it dropped 2-3 MPG to about 13 MPG rather than the usual 16 MPG at about 100-110/KPH. But it is twelve years ago and sometimes ones memory is not as good as it should be. Regards, Harry

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s not a bad result Harry,
You would have to be happy with that.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So our international readers are not left out.

Here is an example of one of our B Doubles we run in Australia.

And a Road Train that runs in Vlads area.

David Gore

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are some that run in the North-West of Australia:

Sorry Pat - mine are bigger than yours

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re Gauges. Vlad the Shad has had new senders for both oil and temp since that photo was taken.
As long as they are somewhere in the middle I am happy. I actually had the radiator split a seam on that trip and had to remove repair and replace it in the forecourt of the Alice Springs Rad shop with limited tools and time.

I did crack two hundred at one point and it was actually a relief to see the temp gauge reading low on a 35+ c day. The Shad was as comfortable and relaxed at 180 as it is at 100. I covered 1100kms in 9 hours on the return jouney. That unlimited section was the best thing ever! It sips 20l per 100km (14mpg) regardless of speed, with aircon on or off etc.

One thing I have always wondered. My Shadow II has 'Power Brake' 1 and 2 warning lights on the dash (As in Harrys photo above) Every other Shadow II I have seen has '1 and 2 Brake Pressure' warning lights. Am I unique?

shad rad

Harry didn't mention that he had facilities in his car to print (and frame!) the Daly Waters photo. It now hangs on the wall in the pub.

daly

Another famous pub

sil

David Gore

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fans of the Australian "Mad Max" films/movies will recognise the customised Ford Falcon hardtop next to the Shadow II. This car was the basis of the police "Interceptor" driven in the first two movies which were filmed in and around Silverton and is based on a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT hardtop/coupe.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, that is some Shell tanker train.
Are they fitted with some sort of low pressure tyre warning device?
If a tyre overheated and was not seen by the driver the whole lot could go up.
Does the driver pull in to let you pass or how does one overtake?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, If I damage the wheel arches or the rust starts to arrive I will order and fit the chrome type wing covers as a cheap way of a fix.

Love the pixs of the cars and surroundings.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
They were the biggest Volvo Group pics I could find lol

Patrick.
Most of the trucks now have tyre monitoring systems, plus most run helium to keep the tyre temps way down.

They do pay particular attention to tyres in the top end of Oz as they run some of the highest road temps in the world.

Mate,
If anyone is doing the overtaking, it’s the truck drivers, the size of these vehicles in no way indicate there “supposed” speed, they fly.
The legal speed limit for B Doubles is 100kph & Road Trains 90kph.
Trucks are speed limited here, but most find ways to fool the system.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m sorry to say Vlad.
And I do understand your reasoning, but we ALL still want to see a pic of you and the publican.
PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE?

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, We ALL wait with baited breath for a picture of Vladimir and the Publican. (Especially the publican).

In the mean time a few more indulgences of the Australian outback. (Thanks to Mark and Greg for some of the snaps)

Awaiting the Indian-Pacific Passenger train in Broken Hill, NSW.

IP

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Officially; -”A variable surface road”. There a lots of them.

variable surface

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wrecks along the roadside.

wrecks

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A “roo bar” not much use if you hit one of these wild brumbies.

brumbies

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A section of the 2,250 Km dog fence

dogfence

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

dog fence 2

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rock solid Rolls

rock solid

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Uluru (Eyre’s Rock)

ularu

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains ,Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains.………. Dorothea Mackellar

rains

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes,Another country Pub

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And another

Darwin

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,
What amazing photos.

A truely memorable set of outback imagery.

Thank you.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

amazing photos..............

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The only pic I have of my car outside a pub.
The Caledonian in Maitland NSW
The wife and I were doing some family tree research here.

Grand Master

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes some very lovely cars and Australian photos from Harry and Patrick.

I got a good laugh about that Dog Fence Harry especially in light of the Azaria Chamberlain case where her poor mother Lindy was put in jail for murder after claiming "A Dingo took my baby"

Goodness me those NT Police must have been dumb idiots to think something like a Dingo would not grab and eat a human baby. This case dragged on for years before Lindy was cleared and the NT Government forked over millions in taxpayer money for what must be Australia's top example of police stupidity and governmental arrogance.

Love the pic of the Drop Head SIlver Cloud Harry - that is a really rare sight.

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 1958 Drop Head Coupe is a Bentley Vlad which makes it even more rare. (Not sure what is happening here as this snap was taken by Greg. It looks to me like a FTP.)

Bentley dh

Grand Master

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 13:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah, Harry a Bentley Drop Top! Indeed Harry I was in the middle of making one. I had imported from Arizona a Bentley S3 right hand drive that needed a lot of work but a marriage break up caused the entire caper to come to a screaching end.

I had cut the entire top off and was hatching evil plans to stretch the two front doors and use a cut down 1969 Cadillac convertible top mechanism fully hydro - electric to make a canvas top completely disappear like a 1964-1966 Thunderbird as I don't like the big bag behind the rear seat look.

Sadly, everything had to be sold and then I escaped to Russia for a long time swilling down litres of Vodka.

But given the price of the originals and what skills I had I believed the project had merit and when I am cashed up again I will resurrect the evil plan with perfection because one simply must have a Bentley S convertible - it would be wrong not to have one.

But let me tell you Harry it takes a special type of mentality to hack into a Bentley with a angle grinder cutting disc. It is for want of a better phrase - totally pornographic and I like it!

I should also point out the rear windscreen of the car had two bullet holes in it and RR Australia wanted $6,600 AUD for a new one and that was 20 years ago.

David Gore

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,

I suspect there might have been an accident ahead and the road had been blocked to avoid the inevitable subsequent crash from "low flyers" cleaning out the cobwebs on the long straight level highway [looks like the Nullarbor Plain or the Barrier Highway to me].

The reason is the appearance of what appear to be two stationary trucks on both sides of the road and no open boot/tool boxes near the Bentley.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2018 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vladimir,
What happened to the S3 then? where is it now?

Grand Master

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2018 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, sold to a Lithuanian Jeweler in 1998 for five grand. Indeed since that day when I shot myself in the kneecap, I have never sold a classic car again and I never will.

I only buy, I never sell. Besides the horrific loss you also have to deal with ............Well I am certain I don't have to explain the swine to you.

Oh Omar, just the thought of what I did causes me daytime nightmares even now.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2018 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
That’s a big job in the middle of nowhere.

Were you able to get it finished in a reasonable time?

Love the pics Mark, especially the Interceptor.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2018 - 23:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Patrick,
One day free in Alice Springs to get the job done. 9am start, bonnet off, radiator out. Three hours for the repair. Reassembled before 5pm. I have tried a core replacement on my Camargue in the comfort of my garage with a full compliment of tools and it took a full weekend. Its amazing what you can achieve when you have no choice.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2018 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good story Mark.

You are right.
When things HAVE to happen they happen!!

Grand Master

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2018 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

indeed

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2018 - 15:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, Mark was not the only person with an incontinence issue with their Shadow II in Alice Springs.

SSROLLS was leaking RR363 onto the gravel of our motel in the morning after the SY and Derivatives Gander. You know the SY & Derivatives Gander. First, stand to one side of the vehicle and look to see who is watching. If nobody important is nearby, gently lean back and observe any splotch on the ground that is NOT controlled seepage. (That apparently can prevent rust from forming). Then do a circular, in either clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, tour of said SY and Derivatives masterpiece, carefully noting any puddle on the ground that was not there the day before. You can remember the “normal” stains after parking overnight somewhere in the middle of no-where. Be warned. This SY & Derivatives Gander is best done after breakfast, but before your first coffee because it can influence your blood pressure usually in the wrong direction.

Never-the-less, I had driven SRH31051 across Australia from Perth to Orange in NSW, back to Port Augusta and up to “The Alice” before any sign that my Crewe treasure was telling me who is actually in charge of maintenance. Yes, I always carried a bottle of two of the Rare-as-Hens-Teeth RR363. So off to the local Brake Repair Shop I went to find a leaking accumulator valve body. Luckily the gentleman had previously repaired a poorly maintained Shadow hydraulic system, therefore was willing to attempt to repair mine. Plug O ring UE25101 was the culprit and like Mark that issue likewise held me up a day.

Below is one of Mark’s pictures taken at his Radiator Repair Shop in Alice Springs. I have no pictures of my accumulator repair exercise because I was too stressed to even think about photography. Thankfully the joys of driving a SY and Derivates automobile far outweigh the negatives.

Marks Repair

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When will my friend Vladimir be able to publish his own posts on this forum?

David Gore

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

This is a decision that can only be made by the forum Administrator.

At the moment, I can only post whatever Vladimir sends me on his behalf which I am happy to do.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

WOW!

Just read this thread, brilliant.

Any plans on doing another trip?

Graham.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
Many thanks for the clarification.

Dear Graham,
You have hit the nail on the head: Contributions from Vladimir are excellent in every respect. It is a shame that they have to be curbed by our Administrator.

Dear Administrator,
I would be grateful if you could please reinstate Mr Kirillov's privileges to allow him to contribute the excellent snippets that we all look forward to reading. Quite honestly the overall content is less exciting for some of us now that Vladidmir is not contributing as much.
Thanks
Omar

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad's ability to post messages was never disabled. He was placed under moderation because of his all too frequent immoderate posts that were inappropriate for posting on any civilised forum. All his posts must be reviewed and approved by the moderator before being released for viewing.

Only when and if Vlad consistently demonstrates that he can moderate himself will the formal moderation be removed.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your response Sir.
I think we may be there now, and the time has now come for us all to play happy families again.
There is enough going on in the world without us also having to endure any more bitterness.

As we all used to say in the 60s..... let there be love.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes, bitterness!

Adrian Jump
New User
Username: adrian

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 16 May, 2020 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too in the UK enjoy Vlad's non conformist views of life and the world. At risk of establishing celebrity status on said gentleman, what does he look like - perhaps we're not ready for that on second thoughts!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Saturday, 16 May, 2020 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian,
If you check out the posts, there is a good pic of Vlad.
Be careful it’s fairly close up

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2020 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if "there has been love".......
Does anyone know?
Vlad do you know?
Are we all good again?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, 25 May, 2020 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
To avoid upsetting anyone, I have started a private Watsapp group if any of you want to join it.
You are all very welcome - and in this group you will all be free to say whatever you want. The Watsapp number is hidden in my profile but easy to find - just look up my Phantom's chassis number and it will be there. Connect with me and we can have a parallel medium for idler chatter that has no boundaries. Vlad has written to me and has agreed to be part of this group too.
I suggest that you keep the silence button firmly engaged for this group chat (on your phone) given the various parts of the world in which we live.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2020 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would love to join but unfortunately don't have Watsapp, will look into getting it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2020 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The WhatsApp concept has, blessedly, been abandoned.

See: https://groups.io/ and establish an account for yourself.

Then send a message to: idlerchatter+subscribe@groups.io to join.

You can participate via e-mail or a web interface, which can be found at: https://groups.io/g/idlerchatter/topics

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We now have both the wattsapp and groups.io platforms set up. Both are working and we have some great banter ongoing on both .
You can join either or both. With time we will know which platform is more suitable for this group of middle-aged men.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wattaspp group now has the Soviet on board.
If anyone wants to join - please PM me your number and I will add you to the group.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: