Motor's manual Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Motor's manual « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2020 - 14:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These books are super cheap in the USA because every garage in the country had a set. Each volume covered every domestic car produced that year.

The information was for mechanics so it's "just the facts" with no "here's the tools you will need" kind of handholding.

Was there ever this sort of thing for British cars or Australian cars?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2020 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yes there is/was.

If you didn't have the factory workshop manual you could get a literal copy made by 'Gregory's'.

I have the factory manual for my Datsun 1600 AND the Gregory's hard cover as well.

I have the factory manuals for all my other vehicles except the last couple but I am working on those,....

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2020 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I have purchased several "Gregory's Manuals" over the decades and invariably have had problems with the poor quality of the images and diagrams included in them especially when seeing an image was essential to comprehend the "words and music" in the text. This was also due to the quality of the paper they were printed on presumably off-shore to maximise profits.

As an aside, these manuals are published by a company started by Cecil Gregory in the 1930's to publish street directories and since taken over by other publishers. Cecil's niece Carmel was the bridesmaid at my wedding in 1972. She later married a First Grade Rugby League player Neil Pringle who played for Newtown and Balmain in the 1970's.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2020 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross this was the repair manual best in its day for British cars, this was the 1953 edition showing the full repair operation of the car mechanics.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2020 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

What was the title of that book?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2020 - 18:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, British Repair Manual (cars), I see one on flee bay (OZ) but looks like only one showing, I have both volumes 1953.
Time to get rid of mine when your next over maybe!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-REPAIR-MANUAL-1952-Cars-Scientific-Magazines-Publishing-Vauxhall-Triumph-/172258412972

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Thursday, 25 June, 2020 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Thanks, that looks exactly like the British version of Motor's. I'll have to research that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: