Tesla keyless enty hacked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Tesla keyless enty hacked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes, stolen Tesla in under 30secs.
Time to get the kitchen foil out and wrap the key fobs up when stored in the house.

https://www.newsypeople.com/thieves-use-keyless-hack-to-steal-a-90000-tesla-in-under-30-seconds/

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Based on the article wrapping the fobs in foil won't do much.

That being said, and I wouldn't wish a car theft on anyone, I wouldn't think that Teslas are very high on the overall theft list, anywhere. There are just too few of them, and they're "flashy."

Stealing a Tesla, like stealing a RR, is very unlikely to end well and with the thief going uncaught.

The most commonly stolen cars in the US, while not your econoboxes, are also not in your supercar, superlux, super rare classes, too. Your typical car thief wants to get away with it and suffer no consequences (unless they're going the chop shop route, where more exotic cars come into play - they still want to fly under the radar during the theft, though).

Congrats on your purchase. I knew someone in the RROC-US who got either a first or second generation Model S and simply raved about the thing. Silent, comfortable, and neck-snappingly powerful without drawing attention to itself with the attention-drawing engine sound so characteristic of performance cars, but putting many of them to shame. Q-Ship of the highest order.

Brian

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 907
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I saw this the other day, I figured it was bound to happen. Any computer or phone can be hacked.

High-tech car theft: How to hack a car (CBC Marketplace)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrlhlQiFzM

I don't have a key only a fob for my Cadillac STS. I push a button to start it, walk up to it to open the door, push a button to open the trunk. The car is a garage door. Just make me wonder why it took so long.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2019 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hybrids and Elect cars. I spend a a few weeks a year in San Francisco and Oakland and every other car on the road is a "Green Car".The change within the last 3 years was amazing.Most switch to use the special lanes on the hiways and the Bay Bridge to avoid long lines.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: