$7 VB Beer on the Counter and How to ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » $7 VB Beer on the Counter and How to Stop then Price Rise Now « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At my pub in the middle of nowhere the price was $5 for a can of beer.

Yesterday I was on the other side of the country and at a nothing special tavern the price for the same beer on the counter was $7.

I did the wrong thing. I bought the beer. That was stupid. What I will do next time is ask to see the manager and then tell him I have plenty of money to pay for the beer and that he will see not one cent of it and he has lost a big sale because the price of his beer is too much.

Nobody enjoys making such a blatant complaint and certainly I don't but perhaps now the time to brew my own alcohol in not now but many years ago.

Enough is enough.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

My reaction would have been to go the pub bottle shop, buy a slab or a 6-pack from the cool room, sit out the front [provided the local walloper [cop] is otherwise engaged] and enjoy the refreshment.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David you are spot on. However, in Perth finding a nice spot to have a beer is difficult. And the police are always lurking. An interesting observance was made by me. The young bartender was opening my cans and told me he had to do that. I like to open my own cans after all its my lips going on the can and I don't and cannot know how clean his hands are.

Now get a load of the reasoning behind it. People buy take away at a cheaper cost then attempt to bring that booze back into the pub? The opening of the can is for the bartender to know who he has served. Ie. unopened can means you bought take away and have brought it back into the pub.

Pubs don't just sell beer. They sell socialization of our species. That is to say its a place where men can go to meet others and chat in talk and dribble given their level of intoxication and their physical ability to behave.

For $7 a can I think conversations with a cat at home with home brew have demonstrated that the fool who was parted from his money is quite unlikely to be that foolish again and if there is an increase in the bars going broke then perhaps the taxing powers that be and the fools that operate bars and pubs can rethink their own foolishness.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3332
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 16:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

The West has definitely changed for the worse since I was last there. You drank draught beer in bars and packaged beer was for fishing, hunting and campfire meals.

A "shout" [Aussie slang for a round of drinks] away from a bar was a slab of 24 375ml cans each and you did not dare to leave the group [usually 8 to 10 in number] until everyone had bought a slab. Thanks to the hot climate especially in the Pilbara, you could do this and not end up paralytic drunk as your metabolism was enhanced by the heat to either break down the alcohol faster or to expel the alcohol with each breath or both in combination.

I have many fond memories of my time in the West and the characters I met especially in the mine site townships.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2019 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Brisbane Airport right now stubby of VB $9AUD. Never purchase anything at any airport apart from grenades in Kabul.

That's my tip for today.

Will be in Mackay soon with a carton of VB at my favourite pub there with my own balcony for medicinal purposes only.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: