Old product label Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Old product label « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Davids picture of the old mower got me thinking of old stuff.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

This thread has interesting possibilities reminding us of the "snake oil" offerings from the past.

As a kid, I remember one from the agricultural show circuit in NSW, A dubious [IMHO] character used to demonstrate a clip-on device for spark plugs which was claimed to immediately stop rough engine running.

Some of you might remember - this character had a 1950's American car [I cannot remember the make] parked under a large beach umbrella. His spiel was to start the engine without the devices fitted [I think they were just a capacitor] and the engine would run roughly. Fit the devices btween the plug lead and the spark plug and the engine would run smooth as silk [as did any normal low compression engine of the era].

I suspect his cheat involved having one spark plug lead with a modified clip on the plug end to caused intermittent sparking. When the device was fitted [always from a container kept in the engine bay], it would fit snugly on the plug lead connection most likely using a sleeve or oversize fitting on the device connector to allow normal spark plug operation giving a smooth-running engine.

The demonstrator always removed the demonstration units when the "demonstration" concluded and put them away whilst he sold unopened packaged versions of the device.

It never ceased to amaze me how many gullible observers would fall for the sales spiel and buy the devices.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
There is a similar product claiming to seal aircon systems, has anybody tried it??
Cheers Mike

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2019 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Does it make your car feel groovy?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2019 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe make it cool lol

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Wednesday, 01 May, 2019 - 10:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: