Our Views on Forum Censorship Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Our Views on Forum Censorship « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought this may be topical right now.... so I wondered what everyone's views on forum censorship are. This should make for interesting discussion.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it's very important and absolutely necessary and vital! Furthermore, I think that it's a matter that should not be questioned or even discussed!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed.
In fact we need to extend censorship to slightly more than control of posts. Perhaps we need to also ensure that when we meet up every year that nobody uses inappropriate language or any words that start with F (just to be on the safe side). An example would be "Hey Benoit do you speak Brench in Belgium".
We are keen to ensure nobody is upset by our actions.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think censorship, at least in the Idler Chatter topic, somewhat limits us. Certainly Vlad's stories are not so entertaining. Come on folks, we are adults (most of the time). I realize that politics and religion should not be discussed at the Christmas table, but the world is what it is. The US has become way too politically correct, and Idler Chatter IS about subjects not relating to our wonderful cars. If you must censor, not too much please.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 03:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that anyone who should be so bold as to dare question the Censor's decisions needs to be severely castigated.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is castration adequate punishment in your opinion Larry?
I dont know about the rest of the guys on the forum but I dont need mine any more - therefore almost worth taking the risk

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, the mere mention of "castration" leaves you open to castigation, you might be the first sacrificial lamb to be selected for marterdom for this cause!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.
Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.
Suppression of expression of the wrong thing by oneself is discretion, restraint, and good manners.
Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

This forum is privately funded and run. The person or people who pay the bills and/or is their chosen representative sets the rules, as is their right.

Calling editorial oversight, which is what's going on here, censorship is, in my opinion, ludicrous. I moderate on other forums where profanity is strictly forbidden (and I didn't make the rule). Other topics, like encouraging the use of pirated software for example, are forbidden, too. That's not censorship in any meaningful sense of that word.

I also have never seen public questioning of a forum administrator's decisions ever have the result desired by the questioners. Addressing the issue in private, and with respect even if there's disagreement, sometimes does. Those who feel they have a persuasive argument should try to employ it, in private, rather than creating a "pillory the admin" topic in public (which is already the clear subtext), generally resulting in an even angrier and more recalcitrant admin (and for good reason).

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think what is at issue here is that some members feel that suppression of expression on the idle chatter forum has been applied in a draconian manner but I respect the Administrator's entitlement to suppress or remove comments at his discretion.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never mind that - PussNasty is upset, and thoroughly twisted that photos of errk where removed thoroughly destroying her comical blat.

Indeedly, no errk has ever blown the head off a grasshopper (now a protected species along with the blowfly) without a human pulling the t on the errk.

Yes she is so upset she has fat K of DPRK on the phone complaining that big T of the US have his top ferret removed.

Not only that PussNasty advocates the instant removal of the words "a" and especially "the" as the Russian language does not use these so why should the English Language.

Mock all you like Jetsetters, but the AI is coming for you.

You who do not like THE ADMINISTRATOR'S wild and totally random deletions of beautiful machinery shall be hunted down and tortured like her last mouse.

Censorship is what it is. It may be a privately funded forum but it is only a successful forum while people are using it.

Now that the wave of big A's censorship has kicked in I find myself having to think twice or thrice about what can be put in a thread.

I call a spade a spade. Censorship is Censorship and it is nothing else regardless of how you dress it up.

And the thought that some of the bad boys in the Forum have been having annual grubby meetings in London where our great cars were built and are uttering such foul and discussing words like "SNABBLING" and making jokes well.....GOSH what would Mrs Twibble (a well know gossip) of Dorchester think of that!

It bad enough that we have to tolerate rude words like "Bentley" etc on the forum without you wags stirring yourself into a blood lust frenzy.

Thus and ergo I say nobody should ever use the word "Snabbling" on this forum again because it is worse than all the naughty words used by naughty boys and indeed some very naughty ladies squared to the power of infinity. Even Stalin never used the word "Smabbling" so why should you!

Nor should anybody ever post pictures of Maggie Thatcher's hair or other rude photos of Maggie's kamel toe or foot in this forum.

You have been warned and if you know what is good for you all your copies of ANIMAL FARM (especially the leather bound ones) must be turned into the authorities now!

Anton De Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 88.121.243.153
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Shams, if I maybe so bold. You never appreciate certain articles until you Don't have them any more.
So as JEFFREY ARCHER wrote, "be carefull what you wish for".

(Message approved by david_gore)

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have certain reservations when the advice of a perjurer who was found guilty by Her Majesty's justice system of perverting the course of justice is put forward as a recommendation of best practice?!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry Kavanaugh

quote:

I think what is at issue here is that some members feel that suppression of expression on the idle chatter forum has been applied in a draconian manner. . .

And I agree with your assessment of the underlying reason for said topic.

That being said, I stand by my own prior words unconditionally. If someone feels this way and believes they have a persuasive counterpoint (or counterpoints) then those should be taken up privately with the admin.

Public fits of pique, even if one believes said pique is justified, seldom get rule changes. Reasoned and persuasive argumentation for one's position sometimes does. And I have seen it happen, but it happened out of sight, not in response to public displays of displeasure. Even if one feels that another is being petty, being petty (and/or snarky) in return almost never resolves the situation, but instead hardens the positions of the opponents.

I long ago learned that the airing of disagreement, in public, with regard to forum administration is, really, just asking to have one's wishes dismissed. It simply is not done.

Brian

P.S.: I doubt that the age old saying, "be careful what you wish for," originated with Mr. Archer - particularly since he used it as the title of a book published in 2014.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, Vlad, but having expectations regarding decorum, including restricting the topics of conversation, in a private venue is not censorship. "You can't say that in church," as the old saying goes, is not censorship. You can say it is all you like, but that will never make it so.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If one looks at the bigger picture it must be agreed that the Australian RR Forum is a worthwhile and helpful vehicle where members can seek and give advice on the ongoing maintenance of these wonderful motor cars. If a certain degree of suppression of expression is considered necessary by the Administrator that's a very minor consideration in the overall scheme of things and does not hinder the purpose for which the forum was set up.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I disagree to disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

Now I am confused about what I am disagreeing about. I even disagree with what I am disagreeing about.

Either I disagree or I don't disagree and that my friends is a logical truth which you can all disagree about.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 11:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe I need a drink - a stiff one!

Brian

Grand Master

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Goodbye Gentlemen and thanks for the laughs.

I have left Idle Chatter.

I respect the right of the Administrator to ban pictures that can be seen by any three year old kid in any library, in any newspaper, on any television, and in magazines in any newsagent in Australia or any part of the western world.

I have to leave because quite obviously I will only offend again as absurd humour (which is what the deleted photos I posted were a part of and even blind freddy could have seen that) is my forte.

I will still contribute to other parts of the forum and will make certain my posts are completely technical unless of course I am banned and banished from the Forum altogether.

By the way in case anybody is paranoid over the concept of law enforcement reading their posts, rest easy because law enforcement ie the police do not lock people away in prison as much a they would like the power to - lawyers do.

Farewell Jetsetters

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear oh dear, Vladimir don't give up on your clever write ups including pixs.

Maybe IMO the Administrator needs moderating!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 00:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There appears to be plenty of overreaction to go around these days from multiple quarters.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the rules that apply to this section of the forum should have been there from the start and therefore avoiding this unfortunate situation.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
We have all over-reacted.
If we look at this purely form a moderator/administrator perspective then control is necessary. The reason is because the gates are wide open in this forum for any troll to pillage away all they like. Not all people are good people and that is why control is necessary. That being said, there are a few regulars who hover on this forum to help keep our cars going and share experiences of all kinds - not simply spanner/wrench turning experiences but also smiles and laughter.
To balance all of this is difficult and I feel for those who have to exert control.

Let us accept that control is necessary to protect us rather than hinder us - and if that mindset is accepted - we should all get along just fine. We can have fun with posting in this part of the forum using wit and intelligence to still say what we want whilst keeping on this side of the line.
Vlad - nobody wants you to leave idler chatter - The entertainment that we get from you is priceless. See if you can use your wit to deliver your stories whilst staying clean.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar wrote, in part, "Let us accept that control is necessary to protect us rather than hinder us."

Depending on how you define protect, hinder, and "us," hindering and protecting are not mutually exclusive.

I wrote elsewhere this morning that every venue has a culture and the older the venue the more established that becomes. In general, and the following is not targeted at anyone, flouting the folkways and mores of any given place, physical or cyber, tends to have negative consequences. Flame wars (and I hasten to add I did not see what I consider to be one here) are always toxic and destructive, particularly allowing recurring ones among the same opponents.

I have very often curtailed some choice words that I sincerely felt were warranted after personal attacks because I know that flame wars solve nothing, and two sides throwing mud doesn't give either one "the high ground."

The restrictions, as written, do not preclude being risque - and that's often a lot more interesting and entertaining, too. Engaging in "strategic discretion" is a fun challenge, and double entendre is way more entertaining than blatant vulgarity. Even though the subject matter is different, I believe the readership will see the parallels from the following quotation:

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.
~ Aaron Levenstein

Brian

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Rather than being clever or subtle which is tricky, I think it would be easier to just replace all inappropriate verb phrases with "de-cokeing the cylinder head", all inappropriate nouns with "brake accumulator".

Done

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: