For the Kiddies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » For the Kiddies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, 11 September, 2018 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes jetsetters, I have another evil plan.

Recently, I drove the Purple Silver Spirit over to the pub, a stone throw away from my front gate to let Liz, the Publicans granddaughter Lou who is a working teenager look at the car.

She came flying at me saying "Vlad, that is a REALLY COOL CAR." Obviously, she didn't know the AC compressor needs bearings and that I keep the AC off. So she sat in the front passenger seat of the car for about 15 minutes raving about how "cool" the car was. Her friend who I stir up as a type of a hobby regularly at the bar, Alice, exclaimed "Vlad, you must be a drug dealer" To which I replied, "Sadly no, I am an unemployed Mechanic and if I was a drug dealer I would already have a gigantic stone mansion already built on my property.

Indeed it was hard to get these two late teenage girls out of the car.

Then I meet a young fencer at the pub and he came back to my place and I showed him the inside of the Purple Spirit and it just blew his mind. He came back with his father a week later just to show his father the car.

Still later, my closest neighbour's boy Dave brought over a young cowboy who demanded I sell him the ex-woman's Holden Commodore (bloody horrid thing really) and I declined several times telling him that I did not really want to sell it because I have it parked out the front to stop idiot truck drivers from parking their bloody trucks outside of my place disturbing my quiet.(I am well known in town for knocking on truck driver's doors and asking them with a mixture of very aggressive expletives just why they think anybody in town wants to hear the sound of their static airconditioners (the inventor of these things needs immediate scalping with a blunt tomahawk or kangaroo paw) or the sound of their bloody three trailers of live and demented cows!!!

Sadly, I was on a serious bender, so when a certain amount of cash appeared, I let him have the car. When I woke up the next morning I remember he headed back to the Hotel and that he had an almost flat front tire and a long way to go to where he worked on a farm I knew across the nasty jagged rock and gravel road.

Strangely, at about 7 am in the morning I could hear the sound of something that sounded like a V6 Commodore revving its ring out and pulling donuts just over the creek. After a few minutes, this young loon drove up to the outside of the pub where I was polishing off my morning health beverage, beer, so I told the silly bugger he better bring the car back to my place so we can put some air in the almost flat front tire.

He turned up with two other young cowboys (they like to be called "ringers" and claim cowboys is derogatory for yanks) so I put the three of them inside the Camargue and showed them the Spirit too.

For some perverse reason I get a bit of kick showing these cars to the younger people and I must say, so far, they all seemed to me to be totally mind blown by the sight of a Rolls Royce.

And that's my point. While I would beat the living daylights out of any young vandal I caught messing with my cars and giggle when the cops came to see me, I really think that unless we let the young have access to our cars, ie let them just sit in the bugger and look around, these cars will never be appreciated by the young. So that's just my point.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, 11 September, 2018 - 12:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree Vlad, a look under the bonnet/hood seems to impress them even more.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, 11 September, 2018 - 17:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When We take the car on the sort of rally that has a "show-and-tell" parking place, I always suggest to onlookers/admirers that "You can't make your mind up on a big decision like this without at least trying the driver's seat for a good fit". They love it and nine times out of ten let out an "Aaaah" as they sink into the leather. (The narrow steering-wheel rim is commented on, too.) If they have a kid I say that if they can reach the pedals and see over the steering=wheel they can drive it round the park.

Job done - future enthusiasts.

There are many owners who wouldn't dream of even letting someone else touch the door-handle.

A shame.

Alan D.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Thursday, 13 September, 2018 - 13:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Alan, I must admit that letting a stranger near something like a Bentley T, Camargue or Spirit, is not without risks. Especially, if they are young crazy teenage ringers/cowboys.

But RR/B are a marque to be remembered. So I think being a custodian actually demands that we pass not only the car along, but we widen the population of appreciation.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Thursday, 13 September, 2018 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fully agree Vlad & Alan.
My son and I take our cars often to the monthly coffee & cars.

I encourage anyone & everyone to get in, they love it.

My car has had hundreds of selfies from admiring people inside & out.

They love it, and so do I.

They are cars after all, they are meant to have bums on seats.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, 14 September, 2018 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, I do the same with mine. People are amazed I let them sit in the Bentley. It's just a car, A cool car, but a car.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: