Where are the South Americans and the... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Where are the South Americans and the South Africans « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen a post on the forum from Mexico but that is as far south as it gets. Argentina has a big classic car event in Buenos Aires every year with some pretty incredible vehicles like Duesenberg, Ferrari and Rolls.

It cannot be a language barrier as a lot of people in all the South American countries speak fluent English and a few months back we had a very attractive young lady from Brazil working the bar in Mount Coolon who spoke perfect English.

Ditto for South Africa - no a bloody peep out of them.

Now I could imagine this being so with say Mongolia but there are a lot of Rolls Royces and Bentleys on the continent of South American and in South Africa but on this forum there is not a peep out of the owners.

Could it be that we need to blat on google and provide a link?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Saturday, 23 June, 2018 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a good question for our friend David.
Perhaps we do need to have a slightly bigger presence.

Maybe we are just old and people no longer use this old fashioned medium. Who knows.....

Benoit you are still young...... are we getting it wrong with our communications?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Saturday, 23 June, 2018 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is definitely a communication issue - we need some local knowledge/input to help find the best way to do this.

Also, there can be problems with local organisations wanting to keep their "territory" to themselves or within a Club rather than sharing internationally [the US was an example a decade or so ago]. Language barriers also come into play at times as well.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 978
Posted on Saturday, 23 June, 2018 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David my suggestion is that I surf the net to find emails and or physical addresses of all car clubs and invite them directly to contact the forum and join. I say all clubs because often RR/B owners often own other marques.

This is the best method short of flying there. Some countries ie Venezuela are not likely to have any interest given the present craziness of their societies eg food and medical supply shortage with extra judicial killings by their own government.

Just what would be an advantage in locals not joining is beyond my comprehension. The forum is both free (data costs aside) and a fantastic source of information and help by many skilled and knowledgeable enthusiasts.

Let me know what you think.

David Gore

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Saturday, 23 June, 2018 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Your kind offer is greatly appreciated and definitely worth trying if you have time available. If any other members can also help, this would also be appreciated.

I suggest the best way of handling this is for you to compile a list of appropriate car clubs and we prepare and send an appropriate invitation email from our forum addressed to the Secretary/Club President. Of course we would have to rely on Google translate to send the email in an appropriate language .

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2018 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can help by being a good substitute to google translate (which by the way is crap).
I have access to people from 43 nationalities working at my company. I can ask them to translate anything into their mother-tongues easily.They may not agree but I can ask.

David Gore

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2018 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thank you - all we have to do is target the relevant countries to determine which language is most appropriate. I suspect it will be the European colonisers from past centuries that prevail plus some unique local languages.

The main problem with Google translate is differences in grammar and word order in sentences for the languages involved and this is why human intervention is required for a proper translation.

Translating Australian English into British English can be a problem given our habit of assigning different meanings and nuances to words plus our strong sense of humour .

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2018 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that some of the south American countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay shy away from international exposition, as these formerly very rich countries have lost many valuable and historically important cars (especially race cars) in the past. These countries were almost plundered empty in the second half of the 20th century, mainly by Americans, but other nationalities of course contributed their part as well.
JoT

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: