Hook Lane Garden - 2020 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Hook Lane Garden - 2020 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2020 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We've had a very, very mild winter overall here in the Shenandoah Valley and we're a number of weeks ahead of schedule as far as the variety of things blooming, though all are small and relatively close to the ground (with the exception of one magnolia tree).

I thought I'd share some photos of what's blooming as of today, and there's an awful lot of hellebores (Lenten Rose - has the split leaf arranged much like an umbrella off the top of the stem). There are also narcissus and, most shockingly, cyclamen, which are not typically ever in bloom anywhere near to this early in the year.

Google Photos - Hook Lane Garden - March 4, 2020

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3622
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2020 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

You are fortunate you live in a climate that allows you to grow such a wide variety of interesting and colourful plants. My partner's garden is just starting to recover from 3 years of drought following the welcome return of soaking rain in the last month.

For this reason, she only has native plants, succulents and cactii that can survive in a hot, dry environment with a minimum of care and water. It will take at least 12 to 18 months for her gardens to return to a presentable condition provided the rains come on a regular basis in the immediate future.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2020 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You need a bigger water tank .
People thought I was mad when I put in the 43,000 L tank in a property that has town water.
I am now trying to decide where the 90,000 l one is going as the 43 was not enough to keep the veggie garden going and still have enough to run the fire pumps for 4 hours

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2020 - 02:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

The idea of either having a well drilled or splitting our city water supply off into "for the house" and "for watering" connections, as the latter is far less expensive as sewer fees are waived, has crossed my mind way more than once.

The area I live in is classed as semi-arid. We have plenty of precipitation from fall through spring, but once June hits we typically have a long, relatively dry period between then and September at the very least. Some years it hasn't been, but most it has, and there can be significant watering involved.

My partner insists on planting things that are not particularly drought tolerant, which drives me insane. I far prefer to plant based on prevailing conditions so that, precipitation-wise, what we get would work on its own.

Right now I'm astounded how far in advance of normal everything is coming out. I expect that we'll have the annual tree peony "explosion" this year well ahead of the typical early May date if our weather keeps going like it's been going. All of the peonies, both herbaceous and tree, are showing "above the ground" activity as are our primula and a lot of other things. I need to get out there and spray the iris rhizomes so that I keep the borers at bay for another year.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2020 - 03:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
We're thinking of growing water lilies and watercress here lol
your gardens lovely Brian
Mike

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2020 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is worth doing Brian.
Really good for the garden as the tank water is low pressure so becomes the perfect feed for a drip irrigation system and once you start doing drip lines growing the "wrong" plants becomes a doddle .
The house is in Springwood where we get mist more than rain & is on the north side so hot, dry , no top soil and large flat rocks so bad drainage.
The workshop is at Warragamba .
The dam was built there and not 4 miles downstream where it would have cost 1/3 and held 4 times the water because it does not rain here , we are in a rain shadow.
I can not count the number of times the heavy rain on the east side of Fowlers bridge has made deep puddles then on the other side, bone dry.

Dad had a thing for tree peonies

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: