Years or mileage ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Years or mileage ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 02:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At the end of September I'll be starting up my own business, which means I'll have to give up my Lexus GS300H company car and buy my own.

I will be doing around 25000mls/year and keep the car for 4 years.
I have decided on an Audi A6 TDi and will source one in Germany as the prices are on average 15% lower than in Belgium, even when buying through the Audi Plus used car program for peace of mind.

I am however unsure on what to buy for my money : my budget allows either for a 4 year/30.000mls car or a 2 year/65.000mls car.
What would be the best choice : the younger car with a higher mileage or the older, low mileage one ?

Benoit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 03:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

It would probably be six of one and half a dozen of the other. 7.5K miles per year is low, but not so low that the car was essentially nothing more than rolling sculpture. 32.5K miles per year is really, really high, but generally the only way to put on that kind of mileage is through repeated extended highway driving, which is the kindest kind on a car. I think for myself I'd go older and lower mileage, but a lot really depends on how well I like the actual car when I see it and drive it.

I'm driving a 1989 car with 104K as my daily driver and a 1996 with 194K as its close second and both are quite reliable. If a car's been reasonably cared for and wasn't a lemon from the start I expect most all of 'em to be able to go quite long distances before their deaths and before becoming unreliable. One of my partner's pick-up trucks has about 270K and still runs like a top.

Brian

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit,

Make the decision more extreme to find out which you value more. Consider that average driving is 12,000 miles per year. How would you decide between a 5 year old car with 12,000 mile and a 1 year old car with 60,000 miles?

I would decide 5 years old with 12,000 miles, because I think 5 years at 12,000 miles takes less toll than 1 year at 60,000 mile.

Chris.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Condition condition condition.

I would if the car is for business use lease the car on contract hire.

It often works out cheaper to lease. Check out the tax breaks on leasing.

In the UK vat is claimed back at 20%. After 4 years the car is replaced with another new one and a new lease.

Ask your accountant. Or just go to a dealership and ask them.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately, leasing is a lot more expensive in Belgium, especially as I use a construction where I lend the money to buy the car to the company and pay intrest on it to myself.
On an Audi A6 it would mean a difference of about 200 Pounds a month.

But I will probably go for the lower mileage but older car.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One company I worked for leased vehicles. I being undermanager decided to do a cost analyses and done a report ( I was young and keen and armed with a certificate of motor industry management )
The report was well received. I found we would save 10% by actually owning the vehicles.
Then the Chairman tells me that the leasing company is owned by the same company that owns the company that I work for.

Then the penny dropped.

I used to joke that trucks are usually 7 year lease except Ford at 4 years because a Ford truck won't last 7 years.

We had a Ford D500 flat bed which blew the engine at 100k miles. Thats bad truck wise. ERFs are nicely run in at a 100k.

Any way its worth spending a day working out what fits best. I don't know the USA business tax side.

Also the peace of mind of a fully guaranteed vehicle for 4 years is worth something.

Usually the lease includes servicing tyres road tax Mot insurance. All the leasee has to do is put fuel in and underbonnet checks, and keep a log of the checks.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

I would go for the high mileage car PROVIDED you get a service record printout from an Audi dealer on the vehicle that shows it has been regularly serviced and it will also show any problems that have been rectified by an Audi dealer. The VW/Audi mothership keeps comprehensive records for each vehicle that are useful when evaluating used cars for purchase.

Be aware the car will be fitted with a DPF [diesel particulate filter] and the status of this filter must be checked before purchase to see what life is left as replacement is expensive. The DPF does not like short trips as it is more prone to clogging with carbon particulates and the regeneration cycles IMHO are not as effective as highway speed long distance driving in burning off the particulates. Also the use of engine oil that does not comply with the VW507 specification can result in ash build-up in the DPF from combustion of oil residues carried over into the exhaust gas - one reason why a car with a sound VW/Audi dealer service history is a safer buy than one that hasn't. If the vehicle has a DSG transmission, check the oil change history as this is an expensive service item and may have been neglected.

My partner has a VW Eos TDI DSG and it is a magnificent vehicle but the DPF and DSG status and servicing are important items that must be complied with if expensive future problems due to lack of maintenance are to be minimised. If you proceed with the Audi and want to do your own routine diagnostic checks, I can highly recommend the Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic unit and there is a very helpful forum on the Ross-Tech website to help with any codes that you encounter and what needs to be done also other enhancements that can be coded using the diagnostic interface:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Another more compelling reason for purchasing the younger car is the upgrades that occur with each model change as problems are identified and rectified after the vehicle is released.

The VW Vortex website and Forum is an invaluable source of information on VW group vehicles including Audi.

http://www.vwvortex.com/

Whichever way you go, just keep in mind VW servicing costs are on the high side although they have been reduced in recent times following criticism by motoring writers in vehicle reviews.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Off topic alert.
Recently in the UK an about turn on diesels has occured.

The DPF was meant to solve smuts in cities but the DPF needs to be run under load at say 50 mph for 10 miles once a week. If not the DPF will need expensive replacement.

Although the UK Government has not specifically mentioned DPF not working, the failure of DPF in London has caused ths Government to think about surcharging diesel car in London or banning them.

Of course the average motorist is annoyed that they have invested in what the government said was green and clean and its not the case.

I have known for years that diesel exhaust is smutty and that even the cleanest produce some smuts.

3 friends living in London on the A40 have had cancer. One passed. They got know all about the other locals suffering from cancer. When I visited I could smell diesel fumes.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

that is good advice on the DPF. I hadn't really thought about that, but it is indeed worth taking into account.

I am very carefull where I will buy the car and will probably buy through the Audi Plus used car program to be sure it's got a full and comprehensive service history.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, 30 July, 2015 - 00:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit
I own an A6 with 3 Liter TDI engine, model year 2011, bougt from a dealer only handling one year old ex-Audi works employees cars.
I would go for the younger, higher mileage car, as you will profit from the longer works guarantee. And as already mentioned, the newer model profits from specification updates. A factor in pricing used cars is also the extras coming with the selected car. Each car is probably differently equipped, so it is not easy to compare prices versus value.
Jonas

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, 01 August, 2015 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The problem solved itself.

My best friend decided to sell his 09/2013 Jaguar XF Sportbrake with only 19000mls just so he could buy exactly the same one in another colour.
I practically bit his hand off and bought the car at a very good price.
So I now have the best of both worlds : a young car with low mileage.

Benoit

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, 02 August, 2015 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The XF is a very very good car. Our Prime Minister has one.