Putting on the Ritz Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Putting on the Ritz « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2016 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is especially for Vladimir..........

This dancing was filmed (26 Feb 2012) on Moscow's "overlook" in Sparrow Hills.

Looking down from the "overlook" you see the largest stadium in Russia (140K capacity). The ski jump is for practice and training - if you make a mistake, you end up in the river below. The church at the end opposite to the ski jump is Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, and it's beautiful. The large building on the opposite side of the road beside the overlook is the Moscow State University and the top of the tall center tower has one of the Kremlin stars.

"Putting on the Ritz," in Moscow, no less! What a crazy, delightful, ever changing world! Who could have thought that in 2012 young people in Moscow would put on a "flash mob" happening, dancing to an 83 year old American song, written by a Russian born American (Irving Berlin):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KgoapkOo4vg?rel=0&vq=highres

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes thanks for bringing such a blatant display of counter revolutionary revisionist capitalistic and possibly Trotskist hooliganism to my attention....

I did read with nostolgic delight that certain members of ACDC were horrified when they played Moscow that trucks of police arrived and started thwacking any young loudmouths over the skull with their trusty battons just before the band started to play.

All Russians love entertainment perhaps with a dash of a good sound flogging here and there and anybody who gets the opportunity to see Moscow State Circus should never let it pass.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A friend of my son called Daniel suddenly decided to go and live in Moscow. Which is where he is now.

When I was in hospital I had dementia and told the nurses about Daniel so they thought I was asking for Jack Daniels. I thought I was in Moscow and being held prisoner in this flat and I needed Daniel to come and get me. I told one of the nurses that I had my beady eye on you and I know what you are up to.

In realality I was in intensive care on a kidney machine and I was trying to get out of bed and the nurse were panicking because the pipes for the kidney machine were direct in my jugular veins. So they tied me to bed until the doctor could get me into a coma.

Moscow seemed very real to me. The following day I awoke and tried to punch a nurse. He ducked the swing.

On a check up at the hospital recently a nurse who had looked after me asked if I was related to the Royal family. I said not likely, my family goes back further than them. The nurse said that I keep asking the staff to phone the Queen to tell them I was being held captive and offered the staff a ten pence coin as a reward. That's generous of me. The nurse is a big bloke and he was surprised at how strong I was, he weighs 18 stone and I pushed him off me. I was strong not now because I lost 5 stone in 3 weeks while in hospital. I use a garden spade to support the Shadow wheels to fit them now.

I find the whole episode hilarious. Grave side humour sort of thing. Else I would have mental health problems. I am as happy as Larry. The medics called my present mental state as rattling, I am always doing something. Once I was stable I started cleaning my little room and folding my clothes up and fidgeting. Once I got home I started on the garden and fell asleep on the lawn for two hours.

I was going to tell you about wandering around the ward naked with poo and pee running out of me and an irate nurse trying to capture me but it's so embarrassing. I thought she was my communist guard. So forget this bit. Dignity was a privilege that I couldn't afford at the time. I was marking my territory with poo and pee to warn others.

Nursing is a glamour job join up now and you to can get a patient like me.

Chimps decorate their habitat with poo.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2016 - 00:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Gore,

Don't forget Busby Berkeley somewhere in the mix on this one! Never mind that they weren't virtually all chorus girls.

I found the boom box a nice retro touch (which it was by 2012).

They also spent a fortune on the film crew for that one.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2016 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The lastest films I can't watch because the sound effects drown out the talking. Modern film stars never did theatre where the projection of the voice and seeing the lips move for lip readers like my wife, was necessary.

Modern singers are like this, it's a lot oh ah oh ahhh then the baby or babe or love then the rest is unintelligible no anoucesation. Frank Sinatra ---I can understand every word.
How can one sell a song if the listener can't sing it ( how ever badly does not matter ) to him self or in the head only if the words are unintelligible.

My kids knows where I am in my home because every now I will sing a few lines of whatever song then stop and go quiet for ten minutes and then another few lines of a completely different song, it annoys them especially when I sing a bum note on purpose ------ Good adult kids need to be annoyed with Dad, they might actually leave home.

Making films nowadays is very money hungry. It does not need to be though. Some very good films were made that if you study the film you notice that the whole film is in one or two rooms and the actors are dressed in what could be and probably is their own clothes.

One of my favourite films is Laurel and Hardy and the Piano. They carry the piano up a hundred steps and get to the house and the post man tells them the best way is to drive round the back and up the hill to the house so they carry the piano down the steps and load it back on the truck.

Stuff like this never ages, it just as funny now as it was in be 1930s.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.176.214.98
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2016 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about the "Monster" in "The Young Frankenstein"?

(Message approved by david_gore)