Using the handbrake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Using the handbrake « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The recent discussion, on other threads, of the hazard of accidentally knocking the selector into D has reminded me of an issue I found when I first came to the US. On a couple of occasions Americans found it amusing that I would habitually apply the handbrake when parking the car.

My observation, here in Florida at least, is Americans tend not to use their handbrakes and instead, rely on engaging P on the gear selector. Things may have changed in the UK, but when I was there, it was normal practice to always apply the handbrake when the car was at rest. I think the reason for this is Brits tend to drive manual (stick shift) cars, whereas the majority of Americans drive automatics. With a manual car, you can always leave the car in gear when parked, but this is obviously nowhere near as secure as relying on the parking pawl of an autobox. Hence the UK practice of always using the handbrake.

In regard to the problem of accidentally knocking the selector on Rolls Royce cars, applying the handbrake as a matter of course would automatically prevent the "runaway car syndrome". The handbrake on my SY1 easily holds the car when D is engaged and the engine is idling.

I have to say I have now adopted the American method of never using the handbrake, in the interests of being fully integrated, of course. In view of the discussion on the other threads, I will now revert to always using the handbrake when using the Rolls.

I am curious if the Brits on this forum still automatically put the handbrake on, when the car is at rest and also what the practice is in other parts of the world? Is not using the handbrake a Florida thing, or is it the norm in other States?

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

handbrakes are not frequently used in Dubai either.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK ,Rarely use the handbrake on my SY or SZ , but always use on the S1, as reverse doubles as park.
Mark

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I always use the parkbrake so the transmission is not always under load.
But the park brake on both of my Bentleys wouldn't stop the car from moving in gear on my sloping drive.
Mike
ps passed the MOT last week so I know it's working well.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK we are taught to use the handbrake whenever the car is stationary, and I assume you would fail your driving test if you failed to apply it (at least you would when I was learning).

In practice (and I think this applies to most people in the UK) I would always use the handbrake when parked on public roads, but not when parked in my own drive. For the reason that it's not considered wise to leave the handbrake applied for a long period of time, as it may stretch the cables, and the pads tend to stick to the discs.

But if the handbrake is only infrequently used, this can lead to the mechanism seizing up completely.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cables don't stay stretched and once unloaded they spring back to original length. The spring in the system keeps the pads in contact with disk which as it cools contracts with the danger that the brake become ineffective. Such as some Citroen cars.

All makes and models.
The adjusters that alter the effective length of the cables are not for service adjustment the adjusters are for setting up a new cable thus allowing a more generous tolerance on the cable lengths. If the handbrake travel is excessive then something has worn. Adjusting cables to compensate for wear is OK up to a point but on some cars the angle of incident between cable and lever could be to far out leading to a handbrake that doesn't bite properly.

I use the handbrake frequently whilst at traffic lights. Because it's bad form to blind the driver behind with stop lamps. Some times if the lights are going to be a while I select neutral as well.

When parked at home which is level I use park only.

When car is stored I leave the hand brake off.

Parking on hills. Turn front wheels into kerb gently and allow car to roll into the kerb. Apply both hand brake and park.

The Shadow handbrake is of the Dunlop design. It doesn't take long for this design to sieze up, a few weeks is enough.

Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.7.13.233
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was having the gearbox on the RR overhauled and the engineer gave this advice. The 'Park' on an automatic box is a cog (pawl?) and over time it does wear. With a car weight of two and half tons pressing against on a slope they have been known to jump out! He advised always to apply hand/foot brake.My drive is on a slope and the car is 34 years old, so I do apply the brake.
Hope this helps with the discussion,
Rgards, Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Clive and welcome back,

My practice is the same as yours - belts and braces....

No way will I trust the PARK pawl in an automatic transmission as the sole restraint on possible vehicle movement. I also do the same with my manual "daily driver" - stop, apply the handbrake while the brake pedal is depressed and engage an appropriate gear before turning the engine off.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I virtually never (not truly never, but close enough) apply the parking brake in any of my cars with an automatic transmission. The sole exception is if I am parking on a steep slope and in that case I apply the hand brake before shifting to park to keep the transmission from bearing the full load of the car, to the extent possible.

I have seen a few cars that can be very difficult to shift out of Park when parked on a steep incline without the parking brake having been applied before shifting into park.

Brian

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You should at least apply the handbrake/parking brake once per journey to prevent the linkage from seizing up. Even if you just apply it and then release it again.

Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.7.13.233
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David,
Thanks for the welcome, I do read the forum and it is good to see and read but sometimes my contribution would be minimal. From your discipline using the handbrake, gears etc we must have had similar driving instructors!! The hand/foot brake on our cars can be made to function well. Years ago I read one of Bill's T One topics on overhauling the hand/foot brake, followed the advice and mine passes our UK MOT. If the hand/foot brake was applied and was not 100% efficient and the parking Pawl did fail hopefully the car would only creep away and minimise the risk of injury or damage.
May the Forum continue to provide information and interesting topics.
Regards to all,
Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I almost never use the parking brake on an RR when parking.

I do exercise it occasionally and use it in the workshop for certain jobs, and also when I am transporting them.

Otherwise it's usually an adjust before the MOT. Mot test. Re-adjust after the MoT.

I would never like to rely on one to stop a RR.

Accidentally knocking it into gear - RR thought it wise to add an automatic parking brake release on the Spirit II and later. Accidentally slip it in gear and the car helpfully releases the parking brake for you, regardless of foot brake operation. I find this laughable. Especially with an electronic gear selector, it would have been so simple to add a lockout on gear change unless the brake is pressed.

I had a customer who lost his door, garage wall, and almost his leg (well I've had a good few of them) who got me to modify the gear shift to this system. An easy mod which does not disrupt usage too much.