Mince pies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Mince pies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I scored some well good mince pies from my man at Tescos. Deep crust and filling very tasty.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy extra toilet paper!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 15:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Meat mince or fruit mince?

Xmas is my favourite time of the year as our local bakers/pastry cooks add fruit mince pies to their range of products on sale.

My idea of the perfect fruit mince pie is one where the mince has been soaked in rum [real rum not rum essence] before baking .

As for meat pies, I am not a fan of meat mince as filling but chunky gravy beef wins me every time and especially if it is a traditional steak and kidney pie with gravy inside the pastry [puff pastry of course for the top and short crust for the pie body].

Our local bakery in Old Bar NSW makes one of the best steak and kidney pies I have tasted.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fruit mince with rum essence.

Meat pie wise I get beefy bakes, mashed spuds and beans.

I have a fun sized Xmas pudding, it would be more fun if the pudding was bigger!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fruit mince pies with Baileys original.
For meat pies the favourite seems to be the steak and ale that Morrisons sell.

Evening time mature Cheddar a few pints of somerset cider.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone remember nana putting in a sixpence or two with a steamed fruit cake or mince tarts with custard and ice cream ? OHH those where the days. Sadly those traditions went when we lost them.

cheers rob

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our family tradition was threepenny and sixpenny coins in the Xmas plum pudding - as kids, we had legendary appetites for plum pudding and the badge of honour was finding more coins than everyone else.

This tradition met an untimely end in 1966 with the changeover to decimal currency and CuproNickel coins instead of the traditional pre-decimal silver coinage. The CuproNickel alloy used for the coins was prone to corrosion from the plum pudding ingredients and the cooking process.

The Royal Australian Mint sold a set of silver alloy tokens for use in Xmas plum puddings but these never really became popular with kids as they were worthless as shopkeepers would not accept them for the acquisition of sweets, drinks and ice creams which was the traditional fate for Xmas Plum Pudding winnings.

Those were the days...........

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David
you're are right on the money. yep today kids don't even know what we are talking about . What's a penny?.Wants a sixpence?. What is three pence? . My granddad in 1966 came home with the new decimal currency and I was dumfounded with the simple concept of decimal currency.

cheers rob

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too remember thrupenny bits in the pudding.

farthing
halfpenny
penny
thrupence
sixpence
shilling. ------ 12 pence to the shilling - 12d
florin
half a crown
crown
ten shilling paper money
pound note. ----- 240 pennies to the pound