Fascinating New Paint Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Fascinating New Paint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 647
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just saw it on a television program: paint which emits light/glows when an electric current is applied, and goes dark when the electricity is removed.
It has 4 layers, two of which are conductive, and one of which is phosphorescent.
The look on the examples shown was pretty amazing.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2016 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Heat sensitive paint. Goes lighter the warmer it gets.

I like the electric paint idea at night the car would glow no need for lights other than head lights. Could have just bits of the car glow. Instead of rear lights paint the lights on the body.

Back lighting for instruments.

I love stuff like this because it makes my imagination run riot.

Probably expensive though.

Vinyl wrapping is also interesting. On wheeler dealers Ed China done a wrap on a VW type 3 van. The wrap was blue with bubbles printed on it. It looked quite good. Over £1000. So not that cheap, a decent blow over on a Shadow is about the same at present.

Jeff Cheng
New User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2016 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure on the voltages required for the EL paint, but I could see a huge market for such a product in emergency lighting. Think of entire exit doors lighting up.

"Vinyl wrapping is also interesting. On wheeler dealers Ed China done a wrap on a VW type 3 van. The wrap was blue with bubbles printed on it. It looked quite good. Over £1000. So not that cheap, a decent blow over on a Shadow is about the same at present."

The biggest issue with vinyl wrapping is surface prep; as the bodywork needs to almost be glass perfect or else imperfections will be magnified through the wrap. (Think putting stickers on an old toolbox and every texture showing through.)}

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, 21 March, 2016 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I worked for Dorset Police we had 2 caravans wrapped in a wood land pattern as mobile police stations. The guys who did the job we very fussy about the surface and spent ages cleaning ithem.

For patterns and graphics vinyl wrap is good but pointless for one colour only might as well just use paint. The surface prep is about the same. Vinyl won't cover up defects.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Okay Randy electric paint. I am interested. Where can I get images of samples and has the CIA made a paint in which I can turn the Camargue into a invisible vehicle and drive straight into Pyongyang North Korean throw a Jeremy Clarkson donut and sample the local cannibus which grows wild and is legal to smoke.

Obviously it is strong stuff as the fat boy with the shocking haircut in DPRK shows given his latest caper of threating to evaporate Manhattan. ( If you had so many armoured black Mercedes Limos and could not get parts directly from Germany you would have issues too)

Yes electric paint - why not. On the rego papers under colour - "electric changer".

My paint story goes like this - working at a rural bus company where the boss who owned it thought a lot of the Kiwi trades assistant who was taking a lot of illegal drugs and had piercings in his ears that you could fit a US dime through I encountered his wisdom when he exclaimed that "its okay to spray two pack without a spray booth - toes (the one legged bus driver - another fool) and I have already painted the front of two buses with it."

Moral - never with a Kiwi point out the obvious -ie the warning on the paint drum "Isocyanate - wear appropriate safety gear with adequate ventilation" This poisonous stuff which has pretty well replaced acrylic lacquer in Oz in the spray painting game should only be applied in a spray booth using full space suit with externally supplied breathing air simply because it can kill you.

No I did the wrong thing - I alerted the general manager that these two fools should not be painting buses with two pack out in the open because its bloody poisonous.

The correct way to handle this situation it to say nothing - and let idiot kiwi trades assistant (and what a know it all this fool was) continue and hopefully croak themselves on the job thereby raising the IQ level on the planet.

It grates on me the opportunities I have missed!!

By the way I have an ex North Korean freight ship slightly rusted and slightly seaworthy, cleared of all Kim's people anchored at Manila Bay Phillipines. For a Corniche Convertible or two coupes in spiffing condition I can supply dancing girls of legal age and ownership papers printed in the Soviet Union in your name - any takers ?

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 13:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, internet search for LumiLor. You should find all you need there.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 13:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

worth watching......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9176679/Peugeot-paint-changes-colour-with-your-mood.html

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Omar

That was the Telegraphs 2012 April fools joke.

I've always found newspaper April 1 pranks to be a bit childish.

Geoff