Dishonest stupid people Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Dishonest stupid people « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, 01 July, 2015 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a disability parking permit. A neighbour asked me if he could borrow it because I am not using it and its a waste.
I said no of course because its fraud.

He seems to think that there's a quota of permits and I am depriving someone else. How it works is that a doctor checks it out and if the doctor says yes, then a permit is issued.

Plus one guy got 4 months clink for parking permit fraud.

Stupid and dishonest.

Often I used to stay with the car and didn't bother with disabled bays. Unless payment was needed for the normal bay.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, 01 July, 2015 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had one stolen - along with the car it was in. I'm informed that stolen permits can command 4 figures in London!

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, 02 July, 2015 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The going rate in Bournemouth for a dis permit is around 500 squids.

The chances of getting caught are about 99%. The police and traffic wardens and council officers do check permits. The police will wait for the car owner to return. And then its hand cuffs.

I have noticed that low level dishonesty and stupid go together.

The stupid think that stuff like this goes unnoticed and the rest of us are stupid.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, 02 July, 2015 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob what is permit?

I think maybe a piece of paper. Svetlana had one. I had to board a jet to leave Camapa Russian Federation to go back to Australia to avoid jail because I taught English Language without proper documentation.

In Russia to get but to airport, necessary to book the day before but we drank a lot of vodka so we no book. I say goodbye to my brother Sasha, its Russian Winter Svetlana and I get on bus without ticket.

Svetlana has issue of what you call Chernoybyl Orthorization. Because she is food engineer.

She shows this paper to bus driver, and remember he exclaimed quite loudly "Chernobyl" get on. All in Russian.

So is disability permit is that same thing?

Maybe I now think Uk different from Usa different from Australia, different from New Zealand.

But I am very interested in this country.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, 02 July, 2015 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir: The 'Disability Parking Permit' is a laminated card with a picture of the holder on it for purposes of identity which has to be placed on a visible area of the dashboard. It has to be renewed every 5 years or so and allows the holder only to park for free in many places. In practice the holder doesn't even have to own a car as it can be used in another car, but only when the holder is being transported in it. In most town/city centres and many other places specific parking spaces are set aside for the use of such permit users. Parking in one without displaying the permit can realise a significant fine. With discretion it can be used in some 'no parking' areas, but only up to 3 hours. To indicate when the car was parked up the permit is accompanied by a cardboard 'clock' which can be set to the correct time 'accurate' to the closest quarter hour.

The old ones were orange, but the new ones are now blue to indicate that they are valid throughout the EU. As an aside I found that the USA also acknowledges them.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One still cannot park anywhere.
Yellow no parking lines is ok. Yellow bars on kerb no parking for permit holders or anybody else unless unloading goods max time 20 mins. Also a cop or warden can ask you move regardless if one is causing a obstruction. But cannot nick you unless you refuse. It happened to me once. I didn't realise that I wss obstructing a garage entrance. I moved 10 yards and everybody was happy.

Parking is disabled bays without a permit will get one nicked and fined. Using a permit fraudulently such as printing your own will mean you get well nicked. Going rate is 4 months prison.

The permits are held on a central computer which the authorities can access from a mobile.

My Jeep also is disability tax exempt. Zero rated.
This can raise some problems, if someone else is driving and I am a passenger then fine. But if I am not in the vehicle then questions will be asked. Again this could be fraudulent use of road tax. Fine or prison.

Note the concessions are granted not as a right. I was going to say privilege but having bad health is not a privilege.

Which is also why I obey the rules. When the permit runs out I destroy it and get a new one.

I went down the town hall to renew the permit and I lost the passport photos. I said to the guy you should get a photo booth installed and make money on it. The guy went off and got his manager who said he will think about it. 10 years later no booth.

Also I have a bus pass. I quite like riding around Dorset on a open top double decker bus. Unfortunately your stuck with who ever is on the bus. The ride on modern buses is quite smooth and quiet. Although on one journey the driver was an animal with the gears.

Christian S. Hansen
Experienced User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here in sunny California the placards have a drawing of a wheelchair on them, because originally the idea was to provide special access parking for those who are confined to wheelchairs. Then the entitlement and definition slowly expanded to the extent that I have no doubt that you can now visit a doctor, pay the fee, and get one if you have dandruff...a follicle disability to be sure. They even have them for motorcycles...and I am thinking what sort of handicap/disability can you have and still be able to ride a motorcycle. Seems mutually exclusive to me. I was going to ask the fellow about the nature of his disability, but chickened out, since not only was he a motorcycle rider, and presumably handicapped, but of enormous stature to boot.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 16:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think there is anything such as a disability parking permit in Russia. During Soviet times there were no aeroplane crashes but you were told the plane has simply failed to arrive.

Actually, there is no unemployment benefit in Russia and all the old soviet pensions evaporated when the Ruble got croaked. Basically your friends and family are your welfare - end of story.

The homeless and I have always seen thousands of more beggars in the USA, well the homeless in winter dwell down in the underground railway system as it warm down there and I never saw one initial of graffiti on any of the carriages or at the station. I don't know what the fine is for graffiti on the trains, probably something simple like a beating with a machine gun butt but it seems to work.

It seems to me quite sad they some people are that cruel they want to thieve a disabled parking spot and or a permit and it would be a big embarrassment I imagine if you got done for either so I just can't work out how somebody could even think of getting Bobs disabled parking permit while not be disabled.

As for a motorbike riding disabled person that strikes me as some type of contradiction in terms.

The entire planet appears to me rather weird and I wonder if it is on its way to further ultra weirdness.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let me assure you, there are all sorts of disabilities, and real ones, that are not "visible to the naked eye."

A range of cardiac issues come to mind, among others. Any number of lung conditions that make you quite winded very quickly also spring to mind.

One can use virtually any form of conveyance and yet have a great deal of difficulty walking any distance to get to it or from it.

While I loathe people who take handicapped parking spaces who have no legal (or moral) right to do so, it's very foolish to believe that you can tell whether or not someone is actually handicapped just by looking at them. [What actually irritates me more than the hang-tag thieves, who virtually always get caught, is perfectly able-bodied spouses or family members who will take a handicapped spot "because I'll only be a couple of minutes" or just because they have a tag in the car that lets them get away with it.]

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Experienced User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While Brian's point may be true, I still feel that the original desire to accomodate those who are truly more than simply inconvenienced, but unarguable disadvantaged by virtue of being confined to a wheelchair, has been forgotten and that all other "disabilities" are too easily "gamed" and become pretexts to gain special priviledges.

It is often not the walk to the store that makes me breathless (and I don't succumb to the notion that I am disabled as a result, only aging) it is the walk around inside the store. If I have to go to one of the "big box" stores, I pack water and snacks!

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's difficult to know where to draw the line. I sometimes think that some disabled people are lazy as well. I saw a guy who I know can walk and stand a bit drive his scooter into a small shop. He could have left the scooter outside and walked 4 paces to the counter.
But he could be having a bad day.

Recently a lawyer got nicked for careless driving. He parked his car in court car park in a disability bay and got nicked for that as well.

Unfortunately there are drivers who are completely oblivious to how they are driving and parking. They simply cannot see the problem.

I am the sort of person that see a sign and reads it. Some simply don't.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 836
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With regard to using a disability parking permit on a motorbike: There's a guy who lost both legs and has severe difficulties with prosthetics. Therefore he is (obviously) confined to a wheelchair. Despite this he built - pretty much without help - a motorised trike from a large motorbike and modified it such that it can carry his wheelchair.

As a one time 'ton up boy' I can no longer ride a reasonably sized motorbike since my elbows won't take that kind of strain for long. Rather than completely give up the joys of 2-wheel riding (wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth) I've bought a little 'sit-up-beg' scooter which I can ride fully upright with no weight on my arms. So what if it's struggling to top 60kph? I can weave in & out of traffic all day long and make up for time lost on the long, straight stretches.

Give me a 100 yard tailback of traffic at the lights and the likelihood is that I'll be first away when they turn green!

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, 05 July, 2015 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Motor bikes are normally small enough to fit in somewhere.

A fit person on foot I reckon can get off the line faster than a Veyron.

I have noticed this many times that small motor bikes are very rapid to 5mph.

I used to be a mad thing on bikes. I had a CG 125 and in traffic not much could catch me up to 10mph.

Also the lighter the mass the quicker it will change course.

I have metal work in my legs so falling off motorbikes could seriously damage my legs. So I dont get on motorbikes any more