Jaguar S type 4.2 V8 R Supercharged Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Jaguar S type 4.2 V8 R Supercharged « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just been co pilot in one.

It's mental fast yet a big pussy cat at sensible speeds. This car has been remapped and has 455 bhp. Normally they are 400 bhp. 60k miles £6500 used. BMW M5 competitor. Style is marmite. Like it or hate it. I like it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I loved the S-Type, but sales indicated that I was in a minority, if a fairly large one.

These cars are a thing of beauty compared to the blandmobiles being put out by Jaguar these days.

For decades one could recognize a Jaguar from afar almost as easily as a Rolls-Royce. No more.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the car.
The more sensible version is the 3 litre V6 auto six speed J gate version. These in the UK £1000 to £3000. Its still 140mph plus and 0 to 60 in 8 sec.

The original S type in the 1960s was underated.

I think the V8 supercharged S type will go slowly up in value. Its a cheap supercar with 4 doors.

The response from the engine is lightning fast.

He paid £6500 last month with new tyres and a service. He paid a bit over the odds because it has full jag history and is mint.

This is a hooligan car. I want one.

Trevor pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I owned a Jag XJR that was V8 supercharged 400BHP and was VERY quick.
These can now be bought for around 4000GBP and are a BARGAIN for one with service history.
A LOT of car for the money

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree. I had the non-supercharged version but it was still a great car at a bargain price.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find performance cars frustrating to drive because of speed limits. I am in no way advocating there should not be limits, but I found even on something as simple as entering the Interstate I could easily be doing 90 - 100 mph. Having to keep to 65/70 MPH in a car that can safely cruise all day at 100/110 is frustrating. It is the main reason I sold the car, along with the desire not to accumulate a large collection of tickets. I understand the need for speed limits and agree with them, which is why I much prefer pottering along in my Rolls. It's a much better driving experience and keeps you out of trouble.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with the frustration. I have had some very quick cars and 70mph feels slow. The acceleration becomes addictive.

I had a Lancia Integral it wasn't very quick just quick. However it went round corners at silly speeds. The cops were interested in getting one but its not heavy enough and delicate.

For mental acceleration try a Kawasaki 1400cc motor bike.

My Shadow is on lpg and is restricted a bit by the gas jets in the carb mouth. Its Ok but about 80mph it accelerates slowly.

I cruise at 60-70 mph. The engine is nice and happy. And I don't get nicked.

I saw a 2.5 V6 S type going for £795.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, 01 July, 2015 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The biggest/fastest cat I ever owned was a V12 XJS. It could easily top 140, which wasn't bad for its era. The only problem was that the correct service intervals were vital to longevity. The fool I sold it to forgot that and trashed the engine.

Re acceleration: I was once sat at the legal limit in lane 3 on the M1 with a Porsche sniffing my exhaust fumes and flashing his headlights. Once the car in front of me moved over to the middle lane I buried the pedal through the carpet and down to the metal. The back end went down, the front end went up and he disappeared from view never to be seen again.

My Reliant Scimitar GTE was much the same, but long distance, high speed runs were out of the question due to the poorly designed cooling system on the Ford Essex V4 engine. The later German Cologne engine was much more reliable.