What car is this Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » What car is this « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

I wondered if anyone can identify this car. It's a UK picture, so presumably a UK car. I've tried google and bing image searches but cannot locate one the same.

Geoffcar

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alvis?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

Thanks for your suggestion. It encouraged me to look again at the search engines and I finally came across it. The Alvis' were close but I am now virtually certain it is in fact a late 1930s MG WA. The rear split screen really helped to identify it.

I'd asked, as I may soon be in a position to fully indulge my hobby of classic cars and the photo above really took my attention. I know we all have our different tastes in cars, but I thought the one above looked quite stunning. I guess they are going to really rare by now though, so finding one would be a problem.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, it's probably an MG SA. MG certainly built beautiful cars in those days. Beats the MG Metro. (For non-uk members, the Metro was a small volume produced economy car made by a conglomerate called British Leyland. They thought by putting an MG badge on it everyone would be fooled into thinking it was a much better car than it actually was. I think we all saw through their ruse. At least BMW have lived up to the RR reputation on re-badging their top end cars.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
Is the car on the photo associated with your family in any way?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2016 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar

No, it's a picture taken from Practical Classics magazine. This is a UK publication that I have delivered here in the US, each month. My theory is cars are like pop music - one's tastes are formed during teenage years and from within the culture you are living in. I grew up through the 60s and 70s so my tastes tend to be for UK bands (Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd etc) and UK cars. I'm sure this must be true for Americans and Australians. US car enthusiast meetings are very different from UK ones. There is a particular interest here around hot-rods and mod'ed cars that is not so prevalent in the UK. I know there are fans of UK cars here in America and fans of US cars in the UK. A friend of mine used to drive a 7 litre Trans-AM - fabulous car. But generally speaking, I find that people relate to the cars they have grown up with. So I have an interest in UK cars from the 60s and 70s, but this also extends back to the 30s. I'm hoping when the Boss finally decides to retire from work, she will stop dragging me around the US and put down some roots, which will allow me to properly indulge my passion for classic cars. Hence my interest in the car pictured above.

What is your taste in cars Omar. I suspect it's quite cosmopolitan.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
All my cars have Pink Floyd, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zep and other greats of that ilk playing through the speakers.
You are right about what you grew up with and the resultant taste that you evolve as you get older.

We had cars from Japan, America and the UK dominating our roads.
Jaguar E types, Rolls-Royces, Cadillacs Buicks, Chevys Land Rovers Austins, Morris etc.

My collection of cars echoes all that past.
We never had any Fords at all on our roads. There was an Isreali boycott for decades and that meant we couldn't have anything that was also made in that country. We grew up drinking Pepsi not Coke and never seeing a Ford or a Jeep. All very interesting now because now we have everything.
For me, cars of the 60s and music of the 70s is the best combination.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, the pic is indeed a a MG Sa 1937.
Thought first it was the 37 Triumph Vitesse.

The picture is taken at the National Motor Museum
Beaulieu annual autojumble in the seventies.
The Brabason Cafe is in the background to the right of the museum entrance.

Can anyone guess the car that I restored years ago.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

That's a fine restoration. My first thoughts were Triumph or Wolesley. I then took to google but could not come up with anything for certain, although I would go for a late 1920s Wolesley. I figure late 20s, early 30s as the windscreen is vertical. Love the car.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, you are close however it was a car made for nine months by Morris in 1934/5 called the Oxford Special Coupe.
Rummer has it that it was built by the apprentices at the time!

Picture of the rewards of living nr Yeovilton.

USA Air Force Reserve Command taken a few years ago, sixteen! wow time flies.

Prototype car returned to the Uk after many years in Canada.
Sadly not used as much as due to my wifes health.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry left out the Twenty in the Oxford [Twenty] Special Coupe.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff
Great story of wanting whole heartedly a car that you fell in love with from a single image.
I like the lines of the car as well.
I do hope you can make this happen, I am sure you will be a happy man when you do.

The only car I ever lusted after all my life was a Silver Shadow.
Being born in the 60's it was in my face all the time, however I never really saw many in the flesh.
But what I did see everyday that cemented my love of Rolls Royce and the Shadow was FAB1 from Thunderbirds.
For me a Shadow & FAB1 go hand in hand.

I still watch thunderbirds whenever I get the chance, and it always takes me back to my childhood every time, but of course new Blueray re issues of the series and HD TV (only B&W when I was a kid) high definition sound have given these a whole new lease on life.
Out of interest FAB1 had a kneeling Spirit Of Ecstasy
And was the only officially approved car by Rolls Royce that was not a Rolls Royce model.