Falcons Rolls Royce and Chop Stick Trash Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Falcons Rolls Royce and Chop Stick Trash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, 15 July, 2016 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Ross nice looking Falcon but very few exist in Australia. The US Falcon of your model has different panel, grill etc to the Oz Falcon.

No doubt your Falcons had more options too and Oz never got any convertibles. I don't know whether that was because the Ford executives were smoking a lot of crack or they were just diehard snobs but many weird decisions were made in those days.

I have a 250 cross flow 6 cylinder Falcon Panel Van which I have thrashed mercilessly for over 10 years and have smashed it at high speed into the local farmer's cows as a diplomacy ploy as well as doing my bit for the environment by mowing down countless wallabies, kangaroos and feral pigs usually whilst snacking on fried Koala.

These engines are bulletproof. They will still fling a car right over 100 mph without destructing even when they are really worn out. Parts are still cheap and often free. One can diagnosis any fault in under 15 minutes whereas a later model indeed all present models require usually towing plus scan tool plus plus plus. This vehicle has survived 26 years in blistering heat. I have tried to overload it to see if the springs will break but they don't.

The road to my residence is severe as part of it is unsealed and shared by road trains (thats a large truck with three trailers) So I have had to weld up cracks in the subframe but these cracks never stop the car. It survives where much later model Toyota Landcruisers have become land fill and their owners have reached for another $80,000 to buy another rice beater.

My Falcon contributes substantially to fund my Rolls Royce habit. Sure it looks like its straight out of a Mad Max movie and people point stare and laugh but when the Camargue pulls up to the same gas station one day soon they will know the jokes on them!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2016 - 01:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Straight sixes are about the best for cars.
My Jeep engine is similar.
I know that the oz jeeps had poor engines, but mine is a UK spec made in USA.

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2016 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you have a pic of the panel van?

It's sort of funny that this was one of the VERY few cars available as a ute in the US. It was called the ranchero here and I would love to have one.

I think you will find the RR also will outlast the 80k land crusher.

And the ford six ... this one hadn't run in more than 15 years, I drained the gas tank, put in a new fuel filter and points, put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the jugs and it started almost immediately.

There is so much room in the engine compartment next to the engine, you can dribble a basketball while you are changing the plugs with an adjustable wrench.

Got to love the sixes.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, 19 July, 2016 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Jeep engine is easy to work on. It doesn't go wrong so I just put oil and antifreeze in it once in a while.

Trouble with sixes is that at about 5 litres they become to long or too high or both to fit into the modern engine compartment.

ross kowalski
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, big six's also suffer from thermal expansion issues from their length. The merc I6 engine all fail their head gaskets eventually, the 3.2 V engine "never" has head gasket failures. That said, doing a head gasket on an I engine is usually a lot easier than anything on a V engine.

Also,

Vladimir,

I was loading some manure / compost into a trash can in the RR yesterday to fix a problem with the lawn. Who needs a panel van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yY7vhzDuM0
(yeah, the production quality is pretty weak)

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kowalski you need to seek help immediately. I can tell from your name that you are either Russian or Polish so that can't be changed. But some help for you may be available even the USA. Mind you I almost wet myself laughing at the combination of the music the car and your faintly handling of the gearlever. That aside email me your email at complexengine@yahoo.com.au and I will send you some pano pics.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross

Interesting that you mentioned the thermal expansion issues of an I6. My son had precisely that problem with his Merc. He replaced the gasket himself. It's a pity he hadn't registered with the Guinness Book of World Records - it took him 8 months.

What software did you use to dub the Mozart audio track on your RR vid?

Geoff

ross kowalski
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I think I edited the two pieces of video together with Kino, but the music was a option from the youtube editor. It was either that or Dirty Deeds by AC/DC (a rock and roll band from the 70's)

I think the book hours the Merc head gasket is only 4 months.

Vladimir,

You are right about getting help, ... so I got two shorter barrels which works much better for hauling manure in your RR.