Lead guitar solos Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Lead guitar solos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.40.249.49
Posted on Thursday, 21 May, 2015 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I base all my badly played lead solos on Pentatonic minor scales.

The scale of A minor is
A BC D EF G A. There is no sharp or flat or black piano key between BC and EF.

This gives a pattern of
Tone Semitone Tone Tone Semitone Tone Tone. All minor keys have this pattern.

Pentatonic means five notes.

So if I remove B and F.
The scale is A C D E G A
3 semitones Tone Tone 3 semi Tone.

The box.
This is 3 frets across 6 strings in any postion on the fret board. In these 18 notes the 5 notes can be found they are repaeted as well. Some of the 18 notes are out of key. So by working out which notes to play and which ones not to play, a lead solo or break can be constructed.

The above is used by Eric Clapton Slash and many others.

Another way is to steal a bit of classical music. Bachs Tocata and Fugue is a favourite of Eddie Van Halon.

If Bach was alive today he would have a Marshall amp and a Stratocaster.

Once the pattern is remembered it can be moved around as the tonal centre moves around.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, 21 May, 2015 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To use a good old Australian word, this is skiting.
David, you are not doing your job.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, 21 May, 2015 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John

I think you are being unfair with your comment directed at David. His remit is to ensure that entries are not defamatory, abusive, racist, sexist, xenophobic, bigoted and/or sectarian. Since Bob UK's posting was in the idler chatter forum it is valid and as David has said in the past, it is not his job to be an arbitrary censor, other than when the above rules have been contravened.

Geoff

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.40.249.73
Posted on Friday, 22 May, 2015 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I posted the guitar stuff so that others now have a clue on how to play a guitar. It also applies to other instruments which I am sure others on this forum play

As a hobby guitar is cheap and portable. I think everybody has a musical ability.

Knowing the theory helps greatly very very.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Friday, 22 May, 2015 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cannot play and am extremely unlikely to play any musical instrument as I am tone death and have no sense of rhythm. My past attempts at music have been an abject failure confirming I have no musical ability; listen yes, play definitely not - sorry Bob, I am the exception to your belief.

However, I have found Bob's posts on the physics of music extremely interesting and have provided information and insights into why music sounds the way that it does.

Education never stops no matter how old you are and you never know when something interesting is going to occur. For me, Bob's music posts are an example of this happening.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.164.224
Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2015 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,

I like the term physics of music. I shall use it in my musical thinking.

You listen to music and can recognise tunes. So therefore you have a musical ability.

Lots people have a good musical ability.

I have met plently of people who are beat deaf they dance out of time. I have never met anyone who is tone deaf. Some claim to be but when checked they aren't.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2015 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

By tone death I mean I cannot recognise a tone when it is played; for example if a note is played, I cannot tell whether it is a C or G or F or whatever.

The only thing I can recognise is the tune made from the sequencing of individual notes.

Sound [Acoustics] is a very important field of Physics that is relevant to music. For example, I do not think anyone has been able to identify why a Stradivarius violin sounds the way it does yet the Physics of sound apply in the same way as they do for other violins. Same applies to guitars and other string instruments which rely on the vibration of a string/wire to create sound. I suspect this is why music is classified as an Art and not a Science.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2015 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The issue of Stradivarius instruments is fascinating. How many in a blind test (i.e. they don't know what they are playing or listening to) actually find a significant difference? How different can they be?
Surely there are some fine and expensive instruments made today for artists, not everyone can own the Real Thing after all.
I've tried to listen to various pianos and can hear some differences but I am not exposed to it enough to really know. I do know that Vladimir Horowitz could get anything a piano had inside it to come out.
Reminds one of the Ford advertisements in the 1960s and 1970s in the US: "our LTD/Mercury/Lincoln is quieter/rides better than a Rolls-Royce" maybe but it is still not a Rolls-
Royce.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 701
Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2015 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember the Horowitz concert at the Moscow Conservatory in 1986. It was televised by the BBC. A very emotional affair for the Russians as it was his return to the Soviet Union after 50 years in exile. He was 82 at the time. Here's a clip - it's only 2.28 mins long. Really worth a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_ccvjxq6o

Geoff

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, 24 May, 2015 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's the one that really turned me on to VH. CBS broadcast it in the USA and I missed Sunday School to watch it. I have the DVD.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.248
Posted on Sunday, 24 May, 2015 - 00:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't identify actual notes but I can identify how far apart the notes are which is called relative pitch. However I do get it wrong sometimes.

C G F. Is a 3 chord trick. A lucky accident Dave.

People who can name the notes have perfect pitch which is rare. And not necessarily a good thing. Because a lot of instruments are impossible to intonate precisely.

Strad violins.
The wood has tight grain caused by slow tree growth in the decades before the violins were made. A fluke of weather. Strads are probably over rated.

A piano is played by pressing a key. The key can hit harder or softer no other options.
A guitar is different. Depending on how the string is plucked hit pulled and with what changes how the string sounds.

Brian May and Mark knopler sound like Brian or Mark regardless what guitar you give them.

Playing a musical instrument is an art. Little nauces such as bending note slightly.

Time for Horowitz. I shall compare with John Ogden.

John Ogden once played live on BBC as the pages of the music was turned he was looking over the page because he had never played the piece before. After he said thats another piano wreaked.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Sunday, 24 May, 2015 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob UK wrote: John Ogden once played live on BBC as the pages of the music was turned he was looking over the page because he had never played the piece before.

People who have the facility to sight read and play complex music are miracle workers, in my opinion.

I've been the page turner for organists in the past and remain amazed that they can play what's written even after practice, practice, practice!

It's also interesting to see how various people pace themselves against the sheet music. Even though I can't read music over time you learn what matches which musical phrases. Some people like to have you page turn almost strictly in time with what's being played while others "buffer" quite a bit of music in their heads and have you change pages well ahead of what they're actually playing at the moment.

Brian, whose musical talent was limited to singing in choirs and in the chorus in musicals

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, 24 May, 2015 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff should be banned from Idle Chatter David because he dared to mention Vladimir Horowitz. As a true Soviet I say this is very emotional stuff.

It should not be heard by everybody.

But Marilyn Manson has my vote.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.120
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Imagine the y axis as the pitch and the x axis as rhythm.

I cant sight read but can understand the music if I have heard it played. Otherwise I play the right notes in the right order but not necessarily in the right rhythm.
I see phrases and patterns of notes that help.
Recently I have been mucking around with louie louie. I used the sheet music to correct mistakes.

It goes 3 A notes a gap of 2 beats 2 on D 3 on E then 2 on D then repeat. Thats all there is to it 10 note riff.

ADE is 1st 4th and 5th. A three chord trick. If playing chords E minor works better.

The trick is have the tune imprinted in your mind by listening to tune carefully.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"A piano is played by pressing a key. The key can hit harder or softer no other options."

What about the accelerator and brake pedals? Are they just there for show?

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I left them out. One is loud and the other is dampers. With a guitar I can do those and much much more.

I use 3 methods of string damping palm, pick or thumb and left hand release.

I use palm damping before I play the note.
Like Shaking all over riff. The amount of damping is variable.

Pick or thumb I use for cutting notes short.

Left hand I use for accenting rhythms.

Then there's how I actually hit the string.

I like pianos though. I like to play boogie woogie. Boogie on the left hand and woogie on the right hand.
I am not very good because I don't practice enough. A mate who is much better spent hour every day for 3 months to make his hand muscles remember the boogie. He does it automatically. There again he can't play a guitar.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know what the pedals are really called; I just like to use those terms. Despite having zero musical talent I took lessons on the pianoforté and on the violin. I'm just as rubbish with both my acoustic and electric guitars.

Fun, though, isn't it?

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fun is what its all about.

I have a violin. Its harder than it looks. I can make noises that sound like half a tune.