The Ideal Pit Design Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » The Ideal Pit Design « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
I have been toying with the idea of building a pit in my garage because the 4 post lift is outside and it gets jolly hot outside where I live. My garage is air conditioned and has music so it has to be the obvious choice. The garage ceiling is cast concrete and too low for me to put the 4 post lift inside. I therefore want to build the ultimate pit. I want the hole to have a steel cover with a wooden top that can go up and down using one or two run-of-the-mill cheap winches. These winches are cheap to buy and many of them have a 4 ton capacity, such that if you drive over the plate covering the hole it shouldn't matter.
Rather than invent the wheel I want to see what designs are out there. The pit lid will be able to go up and down by pressing the remote control button. I therefore don't need to have steps. When it is at the lowest position I should be able to stand on the pit lid and then go to the end of the pit to exit after pressing the "up" button. the pit walls should have storage bins and lights and electrical sockets.

ideally I want to make a steel frame for the pit complete with winch securing bolts and socket points and then cast it in the hole with concrete.

Does anyone have any plans that i can use?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mate,

This sounds like an awesome challenge.

I have seen some pits here in Australia that even incorporate a man cave.

So down the pit everyone goes, fridge pool table the lot,

No need for A/C down there.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

This would be the Rolls Royce of garage pits.

However, there is an obvious safety issue here. What happens if you or someone else accidentally hits the remote control "up" button whilst you are in the pit and the remote falls out of reach.

Geoff

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

You don't need to build one. They are a thing already. Google sidewalk elevator and take a look.

They are all over big cities. I bet you could pick up one industrial surplus for cheap. They are rated for prople and cars going over them and have UL ratings so your insurance people might actually be OK with it.

If not, why not winch the covrr up on two ceiling mounted pulleys, it would be less cool, but more robust.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2016 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
Safety is always number one. I have electric gates fitted to my drive and they never crush my cars because of safety protection devices. I intended to put both sensors and an over ride kill switch to eliminate the power source with a red panic button in the pit. Also remember that you got into the pit from the front opening in the first place so that exit will also be yet another back up to the safety features that will be inherent by design.

Dear Ross,
I will struggle to find such a lift in my part of the world - but i know where i can buy lots of new electric winches and hoists for peanuts.
how would the ceiling winches work? I am trying to keep all cables contained under the car and in the pit in my design but I am open to your thoughts on the ceiling winch idea.

Thanks
Omar

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2016 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Here is a highly technical schematic that I didn't draw on the back of some junk mail that came out of my trash.

When not in use the hooks would be at ceiling level, Then lowered and hooked to some flush mount eyelets in the pit cover when you want to lift it up.

You would need two hooks on the ceiling pulleys so that the door wouldn't twist when lifting.

You would be into this idea for four pulleys, a winch some concrete anchors, but it would be pretty cheap.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2016 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
Many thanks for your post and for your support.
I did consider this option at the onset but the main reason for wanting the floor to go up and down is to eliminate the stairs. The moving floor would also help with the removal and putting heavy objects into and out of the pit.
I like the brainstorming though - keep those ideas flowing.........

Omar

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 649
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2016 - 20:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar just imagine you being in the pit doing a bit of tidying up and your wife lowering that door down on you, I wouldn't let her see that drawing, might give her ideas.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 865
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
After the fiasco with the 4 post lift and the near divorce experience, I decided to share this new "pit idea" with the good wife. She has taken very nicely to the idea of something hidden replacing the very visible 4 post jack.
I have thought of all the safety measures I need to ensure protection from anything unexpected or indeed expected. I feel that my big red kill-switch in the pit will protect me from any planned accidents that crafty people may have up their sleeves.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, do you need support to unveil the truth to your beloved wife that you actually need to have both the pit AND the 4-post lift? Would that not be heaven?}

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I can almost guarantee the first task you do "AP" [After Pit] will be one that would have been more suitable for the open-air hoist that obviously will have to be removed to maintain domestic bliss.

I have found a pit is good for inspections and minor servicing such as oil changes where removing components is not involved. For example, I very much doubt removing the auto transmission on DRH14434 would have been possible working from a pit as a floor jack and frame was essential to hold the transmission and move it safely from under the car. I did this with the car on stands on a concrete floor and a hoist would have made the job much easier from better access to the transmission to prepare it for removal and then lowering the car to position the transmission on a cradle for removal of the few retaining bolts and sliding the transmission off the bell housing. The car could then be lifted up and the transmission and cradle moved to a suitable place for disassembly, repair and rebuild followed by reinstallation in a situation giving safe, open and body-friendly [i.e. plenty of room and not having to work laying down] work space.

As an alternative, is it possible to install a shed or similar to cover the hoist and blend into the rest of your home? Otherwise, it might be worth investing in a small factory unit where you can work in peace knowing SWMBO [She Who Must Be Obeyed] is placated and you have all the facilities needed to make life easier for you.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar

I came across this youtube video whilst checking out your interesting project idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDIyuwdr5fE

I should add the pit is in test mode and is not the final version.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a good find Geoff.
The floor looks very solid and well made.

David,
I have even seen pits that have all sorts of air operated cradles that slide on and off rails for diff, transmission and engine removal. Even other cradles that can lift the whole car off the floor for removing wheels and suspension work while on the pit.

Omar,
I like your plan.
Sounds like the "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission " method has really run its course.
Mine ran out years ago with the minister of finance & fun

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
Amazing video. exactly what i had in mind. Mind you there was no big red kill button nor infra red detectors to ensure there is no car above.
Thanks for finding it. it will help me no end to get it built by the local lift makers.

Dear Patrick,
Your minister has good name tags. Mine has only ever had two government names: Minister of war and Minister or Control.

keep smiling
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
I will have to confess that i rarely tackle jobs that take many hours to complete. That is because I only have 19 years 10 months and 1 week to live. If i spend too long under the car then its just eating into the small amount of time left.

Consequently I will never take gearboxes out and such like. These jobs will be farmed out to people who i can pay. The jack/pit/lift is simply to gain access to see stuff under the car and do simple tasks like the one I will be doing tonight - Changing accumulators on my Continental R.
Take care.
Omar

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 02:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Put the pit under the 4-post lift, such that you do not have to lift the car so high; rather you lower the man, so to speak.
"There: I fixed it!"
I have seen fiberglass units marketed which are designed to be installed in garages as service pits and as storm cellers. buy one, saw out the existing slab, dig the hole, pop 'er in.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Randy,
The whole idea of the pit is to relieve the house of the 4 post lift - and to have an air conditioned work environment.
Pit under lift is a solution but not the best solution to the problem. The minister of war will not be pleased. We are trying to please her in all this brainstorming. Geoff has nailed it in one with his video.
Those bath-tub design fibre glass items are not available for sale here. I would have to import one. Best to stick to the Wootton design.
Omr

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar,
Thanks mate.
I'm smiling.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar my experience with pits is not good. I absolutely hate working in a pit.

In fact I don't like four poster lifters either.

I have found the two poster lifter to be the best as it allows the best access to the car. However, two posters can be dangerous if the four lifters are not positioned correctly.

Perhaps you could cover your present lifter with steel roofing (paint some exotic flowers on it for your wife) and air condition it.

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User
Username: clive_lungmuss

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
I put forward the idea of a Scissor Lift as an alternative to get around the problem associated with installing a pit. I use a scissor lift where the piston are on either side leaving the middle area for access under the car. The lift has a 3 ton capacity and raises the car 1 metre. I find this is more than enough for the jobs I have carried out on the RR and other cars. The bonus for me was that the lift goes almost flat to the floor and this enable me to drive the RR over it and still leaves all four wheels in contact with the floor for car storage. You can get an idea at this web site: www.automotechservices.co.uk. I am using the model AS-7530D Garage Scissor Lift.
After years using car jacks and axle stands I wish I had installed one years ago.
Regards,
Clive