Occasions when you really need to be ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Occasions when you really need to be in a car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2016 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One film clip is worth a thousand words......

http://www.smh.com.au/video/video-entertainment/video-weird-week/cyclist-v-animal-when-nature-attacks-20161121-4nfrk.html

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2016 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

4 wheels and a roof best

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 02:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just FYI, if you're using adblockers, HTTPS Anywhere, and/or the Ghostery Add-On in your browser the video won't load or will load and won't play.

Copy and paste the URL into your "unprotected" browser to view.

Those magpies are aggressive, aren't they? A lot of the other "obstructions" look tame by comparison!

Brian

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian that Kangaroo meant business not to mention the Elephant, I never was keen on cycling anyway!!!!

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some more Australiana - the kangaroo despatch on the second video is a classic:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/11/25/it-doesnt-get-much-more-straya-than-this-video/?utm_hp_ref=au-homepagehttp://

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 700
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're right there David.
Kangaroos can do the worst things sometimes.

I remember at a tourist centre in Queensland where we took the kids and we all had our packets of treats for the kangaroos, when this 6ft gray approached me and basically just looked at me and slowly just took the whole packet off me. I was quietly mugged for my treats.

For our overseas friends here is some comparison size images of how big they can get.
The one in the video is only a large baby

The above toe nails will rip you to shreds if they want to.

I'd like to have a chest and arms like this!!!

David Gore

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick for these pictures, I am 187cm [6' 2"] tall and in 1961 encountered a Western Plains Red Kangaroo at Hillston NSW that was a good 150mm [6"] higher than me.

I saw the same kangaroo eviscerate a pig hunting dog by picking it up with its front paws and using its rear legs and claws to rip down the dog's belly [this is their defence against dingos in the wild].

For humane reasons, I despatched the roo with a BRNO .222 rifle from 150 metres and the mutilated but still alive dog with a head shot [I was a good shot using open sights in my teen-age years].

Needless to say, I then became very cautious about approaching a wounded roo which was common due to vehicle/roo collisions on the roads around the town. We always carried a rifle in the car whilst we were living in Hillston for killing injured wildlife - this was common as the trucks usually did not stop after a hit whereas cars usually "failed to proceed" due to the extent of the damage from the hit.

However, the most dangerous animal was not the kangaroo but feral pigs and the story of the local policeman, his Landrover, my father and the feral pig can wait till another time.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm, this thread went in a wholly different direction than what I expected. Just the other day I saw a gold colored Bentley convertible at a traffic signal as I was turning. My eye was drawn to the car but then I glimpsed the stunning young blond at the wheel and thought, self, 'Now there's an occasion when you really need to be a car!, and remembering this, today I quite obviously misread the title of this post - oops!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's all good John,

You mentioned cars, and you mentioned a stunning blonde!
Check and check.

I don't see any issues???

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2017 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wince, almost sexist.

Dave,

Thats a tough experience to go through I like animals and wild life. Fortunately in Dorset we only have the feral pigs and deer to watch out for. However a few come unstuck with horses and farm animals by assuming that they can pet them. A 500kg cow can easily hurt you and a herd has been known to kill people.

A mate had a deer jump over a hedge and land on the bonnet of his car both the deer and the car failed to proceed, a vet put the deer down.

I repaired a Fiat X19 and the owner hit a cow in the middle of a dark country lane. It totaled the car big time, she -driver of car- broke her ankle.

David Gore

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2017 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

The dangers of driving in the far west of NSW in the 1960's was exemplified by the experience of a Remington sales representative driving from Griffith to Hillston to visit the two shops in town that sold guns and ammunition.

The representative had just taken delivery of a new 1961 Holden station wagon and had loaded the rear with boxes of ammunition and a number of rifles for delivery to the local dealers.

The inevitable happened and the representative hit a big roo about 10 miles out of town - no seat belts in those days and he escaped injury but the car caught fire and began burning before another car arrived on the scene. As the rep described it, things were not too bad until the fire reached the rear of the car and the boxes of ammunition began to burn and the ammunition started to explode. Fortunately the bullets were vertical in the boxes and most of the bullets went up rather than sideways - however the rep decided discretion was the better part of valour and moved behind a fallen tree trunk to escape being hit by a stray bullet to be joined later by the next driver to arrive on the scene for the same reason.

Once the fire had consumed the car and the ammunition exhausted, they drove into town to arrange for recovery of the car and for the rep to buy new clothes to replace what he had lost in the fire. The bank residence was next door to the local Holden dealer and the wagon was trailered into their yard - the rear roof over the cargo area was like a sieve where the bullets had gone through the roof. The dealer had a new Holden wagon on the showroom floor which Remington immediately purchased for the rep to continue his sales trip - if my memory is correct, the guns and ammunition were replaced with stock sent from Sydney by passenger train. No need for security precautions in those days.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2017 - 11:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a BSA 22 single shot bolt action rifle, I used to keep down the gun club so i didnt need a licence, in those days providing one was a member and didnt take the rifle or rounds outside the gallery then alls well. Since a couple of nutcase spree killers and terrorists gun control is now much regulated. Some types of farmers have to have shotguns to protect livestock. Remmington pump action are favoured.

A local farmer caught 2 members of the caravan club nicking diesel so he held them at gun point till the cops arrived but first he fired a shot into the ground by them and sprayed them with gravel. The cheeky blighters tried to bring charges against the farmer. The cops said that its the risk crimbos take in rural areas of Dorset. However a guy called Tony Martin got charge with murder because he shot a burglar in the back whilst scared. He done 5 years in clink and then got pardoned.

My BSA 22 was deadly accurate and its a very easy gun to use. I liked the 50 yard range the best and I could get dead centre shot after shot its all in the breathing. It only took me 5 minutes to learn how to hit the target when I first started. I got the buzz from hitting the paper target.

My dad was in the 8th army and said that when repelling attackers one doesnt need to be that accurate and just point at the mass and fire, then the enemy gets rattled quick and turn tail. Get the lead in the air!

I couldnt kill an animal with a gun I just couldnt. Yet the generation before us had to kill humans and its still going on now.

BTW We have 24 hour armed cops patrolling the whole of the UK and they shoot to kill.

Guns cant be un invented and its people who kill people not actually the gun. I favour gun control not a free for all where some nut case can get a machine gun and go berserk.

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2017 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I have never done so, I 'think' I could dispatch a human but there is no way I could do the same to an animal! I like animals but humans... m'eh!

I have taken loads and loads of injured animals and birds to the vets and left them there with the promise of payment if they get them sorted. It has cost me a fortune over the years!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 889
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2017 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're a good man David.
Nothing wrong with being an animal lover mate.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 03:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The size of the claws on a roo are not friendly looking and one can see the danger.

I like animals but not all are suitable pets, I draw the line at cats and dogs.

Take snakes for instant, boring and whats in it for the snake.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

for those who really love animals..........................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NX2LHVnR4

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar that is what I call lifelong bondage between animal and human.
Lovely to watch.

We have three wild stray cats that have settle over the years and are now house cats, they are all look different.
Goodness knows what they are.
They are good hunters with the mice.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pretty good stuff Omar,

They were very lucky, not many people really get to interact with wild animals.

But it can go bad,
Just ask Siegfried & Roy.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar, thank you for posting that video clip, what an amazing journey for animal and man. Absolutely beautiful.

David Gore

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is humane killing and unnecessary killing of animals in this world.

I see no problems with and have mainly killed injured animals to put them out of their misery, feral dogs, cats and pigs that indiscriminately kill native wild life and the occasional farm animal for food. To see a badly injured animal on the side of the road suffering severe injuries after being hit by a vehicle that did not stop is very upsetting if there is nothing you can do to stop its suffering. To see a new-born lamb with its eyes picked out by crows who then wait for it to die before eating it is another valid reason for putting the unfortunate animal out of its misery. As far as feral cats and dogs are concerned, I have no hesitation in killing them to preserve our native wildlife many of which are facing extinction from these feral pests especially from city/town dwellers who release unwanted litters into the bush rather than ensuring they are rehoused where they will be cared for and pose no threat to rare and unique local wildlife.

Unfortunately city born and bred people have no idea of the serious effects feral animals have on our environment just seeing them as mild, affectionate and safe additions to their family environment. One confrontation with a huge feral cat or dog will quickly change their opinion when they experience the aggression and lack of fear of these predators and see their effect on the local native animal population many of which are either now extinct or close to extinction due to these feral animals. Here in Old Bar, we have a nesting site for the very rare and endangered Little Tern bird and each year their nesting site is ravaged by foxes and local dogs after the chicks are born - this year the successful fledglings were less than 50% of the eggs laid by the parents. Unfortunately, the birds nest in the sand dunes and not in trees so they are extremely vulnerable and it will be a matter of time before they become extinct if nothing effective can be done. Our National Parks and Wildlife Service do their best to protect the nesting site and are constrained by restrictions on what methods can be used. Baiting with 1080 poison to eliminate the foxes is used but opposed by local dog owners whose unrestrained dogs roam at night or during the day on the beach near the nesting site and cannot resist digging up the 1080 poison baits laid to try and protect the nesting site with fatal consequences.

http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/story/2191966/most-successful-breeding-season-for-little-terns/

application/pdfLittle Tern
08261WildAboutTerns.pdf (900.5 k)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2017 - 00:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have foxes and they keep the rats down. City dwellers dont understand that the local economy relies on a balance of wild life, and the country side is not an adventure park.

Dorset is not natural landscape it is managed by farmers, this cost money and I hate it when people oppose farmers who are trying to make a living. Such as opposing the removal of a hedge to make a bigger field (cost effective). TYHe wild life is not going to hang around when the back hoe appears, the wild life will simply move else where. Then probably return later when the dust has settled.

Recently to stop the caravan club camping on a bit of land the Local Auth. installed big big rocks. Lots of complaints but now theres all sorts of animals living around the rocks, I saw a 1 inch long sand lizard hiding under one.

Also some city people fly tip stuff.

We have dog wardens who collect stray dogs. Some dogs become vicious quite quickly once stray.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2017 - 01:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interacting with wild animals can be overdone. Especially when they're more interested in you! http://i.imgur.com/Id3VE0u.gifv
How long do you figure it took this fellow's heart to slow down?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2017 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just watched Jaws, it was on TV last week.

I paddle in the sea but no deeper best to keep out of the sea then no nasties can get you. We get jelly fish.

I like my fish on a plate with chips. 2 pickled onions and a gerkin.

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 10 January, 2017 - 19:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote:- I like my fish on a plate with chips. 2 pickled onions and a gerkin.

Would you believe that there is a fish-and-chip shop in Cheddar that DOESN'T SELL GHERKINS!!!

Alan D.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, 11 January, 2017 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What no gerkins, how can one have a chippy without gerkins.

Theres this place that has 2 chippys one is called the Codfather and the other Codfather 2.

Our local chippy is Babers and the chips are just nine and fat and soft. The fish is nice. Saturday is my fish and chip day. I get a kids sized portions because I must not eat too much in one go, it causes me to get cramps.

The 2 pickled onions and a gerkin was a visual joke about male naughty bits.

Last summer a tourist complained to the council about jelly fish in Bournemouth Bay, as if it was under council control.

We get dolphins in the bay and if one is lucky they come out to play, but again dolphins are dangerous, a dolphin probably weighs over a ton and could easily drown a swimmer.

Cheddar is a nice place and I stayed in Chard (Nursery Gardens) for about 2 months in the 1970s and got to know the area quite well.

In the 1980s I took the kids around the caves and they loved it. I drove to Cheddar in a Daimler Sovereign (series 2 XJ6) }

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, 11 January, 2017 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,
I tried pickled onions & gerkins with my fish and chips last night.
They were ok, but didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Now I read your were just kidding

Gents,
Where is Cheddar?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Thursday, 12 January, 2017 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

cheddar is in Somerset. Its famous for cheese and the caves. The caves were "developed" by the Victorians. Since then the caves have all but been mapped out. Gough's cave being the most famous.

Somerset is a County aka Somerset-shire. The border counties to Somerset are Dorset, Wiltshire, Devon, Avon and Gloucestershire.

I am not keen on gerkins but I do like pickled onions with fish and chips.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, 12 January, 2017 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well there you go

I have learned something new today.

Thanks Robert.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of wildlife, this Australian has been cuddling with a shark each time he dives for about 7 years.

No joke. http://tinyurl.com/z2zv7j8

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow John.

She is a cutie alright.