Peacocks and Rolls-Royces. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Peacocks and Rolls-Royces. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A peacock has a colourful tail to show its status. Humans use cars instead.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2016 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is your Shadow Peakock Blue Robert?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2016 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was peacock blue but due to daily driver and stone chips etc I painted it Black.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2016 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, my Shadow is peacock blue and I can confirm it is very awkward to touch up.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2016 - 13:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
I looked at a peacock blue car once.
It had more hits than Elvis, thus about 20 shades of blue.
However it had the most magnificent off white seats with peacock blue piping around the hide

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really liked the peacock blue but a complete nightmare to touch up.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark and Robert.
Have we seen images of your cars in the "photos of our cars" thread?

The touch up thing seems a bit of an is gents.

I don't mind the peacock blue cars, they look very stately and always look clean. My Seychelles blue shows the dust and road grime way to easily.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick ,my cars are there, warts and all !
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 15:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What do you mean warts and all Mark.
Your cars a re magnificent.
Lovely set of images I just re visited.

Now the only one missing, and lots of us have asked, pleaded and even begged.

Bob,
We want to see you black Shadow.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have previously resized and posted photos from Bob on this forum - problem is Bob doesn't take the photos; his family members do and email them to me for posting.

I suggest Bob is probably occupied with other matters when his family visit and getting his car out for photos would not be uppermost in his mind.

We have to be patient and one day our patience will be rewarded.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just part of the wonderful mystic of the man David.

David Gore

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have known Bob since 2002 through several R-R/B forums however I have never had the opportunity to meet him in person as my last trip to the UK predated our first contact through the forums.

I hope I will have the opportunity to meet him in the near future when my current responsibilities become a thing of the past .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob maybe we could meet up with both Shadows at the Prom, I promise not to bull sh't my car up as the original patina seems to draw the crowds!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob uk.

At the moment all car work is at a halt for me due to illness. This years planed events with the car aren't going to happen. But next year my daughter is getting married and I hope to use the beast for the wedding.

But it would only take a couple of hours and 2 tyres to put the beast back on the road. The paint work wouldn't be done though.

I think we all look at our cars though rose tinted glasses and put down cosmetic stuff to patina.

Good news is that my weight has stabilised at 85 kg. Also my feet have stopped swelling up.

Due to 35c heat in Bouremouth I shaved off my beard to find I look different. I look a lot older than I did. I used to look about 10 years younger than I actually was.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, 24 July, 2016 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Illnes is a terrible thing Bob, and I hope that your well on the mend, and that you and your family are taking care of you.
I was crook for a good while, and it's a horrible thing not even being able to do simple things on our cars, or any car for that matter.
85k,s is a good weight mate, and it sounds like that is helping.
Your a brave man, I couldn't shave my beard off.
I wish you all the best for health and happiness mate,

I am sure one of us (if not more) when in your neck of the woods would be happy to help you with the car for the wedding.
What date is it?
The wife and I regularly travel to the UK, maybe it will fit in with one of our upcoming trips?

David Gore

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Sunday, 24 July, 2016 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

You and I are survivors and have much to achieve in the future.

Never underestimate the power of positive thinking and keep planning for the future.

The long road of life is still unwinding in front of us and while there may be a few potholes to come, always remember it is best to go around them rather than into them............

Don't forget we have a future meeting to look forward to as we have been corresponding through the forums for a long time and have much to talk about.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. David

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob uk.
Yesterday I was fine.
Taboo bit follows

What happens is that I get constipated which hurts a lot. Behind the blockage is diarrhoea and behind the diarrhoea is another blockage.
If I limited food intake my bowel is eventually empty and then blood clots come out. Which isn't so painful. And explains why I have a fear of food. I am virtually a vegetarian and eat only very small bits of meat.
The medication I take is no fun neither. If I get it wrong I get dementia and start doing daft things like decorating my mobility scooter with fairy lights and driving down the road. I can't drive at the moment. The medics have stopped the morphine because of the dementia danger.

Positive thinking does help, every time I feel normal I think the disease is in remission then as happen today, I awoke at 6 am in pain. I dare not eat anything for fear of more pain.

I spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing, My home needs work done which is not getting done.

Also it's not only me. My wife is affected as well. She has to look after me.

When I was younger older people used to say health is very important, I now know what they mean. It's a bit like my kingdom for a horse.

Fortunately my disease isn't fatal and on average people with the disease die 3 years earlier than the norm. So instead of living to 103 I will only get to 100.

Also I have met people with much worse things than me.

I met a guy who has palsy. He was placed in a care home at the age of 3 while his parents had a holiday. The parents never came back. 60 years later he's still in care. He has no money and never lived outside the care home. ( Leonard Cheshire charity home called Enham ).
I went to the social with him and the social told him that if he didn't get a job they would stop his money. Then there's a big argument with his carers and the government. The social reinstate his benefits. Then a while later they do it again.
I am in a much better position because I have money and my pensions are protected in law. ( no government would dare because of the very large grey vote ).

If I had no money and living in rented accomadation and rely on benefits that can be stopped at a whim, I would be in serious trouble. No money means eviction and homeless. It happens to lots of ill people.

I am a lucky man to have a supportive family and friends. It's a two way street, they look after me and I look after them.

I look forward to meeting personally anybody from the forum to visit me and chat about the world.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob

Here's hoping this episode of your Crohn's condition passes soon.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob sorry to hear you have not been to well of late. Hope you get back to good standard of health.

I have been busy building a boxer engine with a few mods solid to hydraulic tappets, pistons that have a shorter deck 1/4 inch below top of the bore, heads planed to bring the compression ratio up but lower than standard.
Runs well but next part is to turbo it without fuel injection.
Bob with the lower deck pistons will this alter the cooling away from the cylinder heads to the bores etc. your veiws on this most welcome.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Thanks so much for sharing your personal story with us, I feel privileged to have read it.
You're an inspiration to us mate, and all I can say is I wish I was closer to come and help with the work around the house.

I do hope your health does continue to improve.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for the support.

My condition has been re diagnosed as Ulcerative colitis. Which is very similar to Cronhs disease and also called IBD -- inflammatory bowel disease.

I have no choice but to get on with it.

Heard an appalling story today. A guy who MS lost his job and no money meant no rent being paid. He now sleeps in a small car covered with parking tickets. His best bet is to get admitted to hospital and the won't discharge him until the social services get off their a@rses and do something. And of course the hospital will hassle the social services for him. That's how bad it could have been for me.

As I said I am a lucky man.

It's all down to money in the end.

Today has been a good day and I have managed to prepare a bit of my hall at home ready for decorating.
Wood chip and emulsion nothing complicated. Get away with murder this way. The best decorator in my family is my daughter, she does fancy stuff which looks cool. Her landlord was gob smacked when he inspected the house and said he would pay her to do another house. But she is chef/ manager of Dorset School meals and doesn't have the time.
She advises me of what food to eat because being schools correct nutrition is uppermost.

Wood chip wallpaper. When repairing damage. Don't cut the wall paper patch. Tear it off instead leaving a wavy feathered edge. The wavy edge gets rid of the straight line and the repair disappears.

My next pressing job is the Jeep. The rear axle oil has an additive which wears out. Causing the LSD to swark on pulling away. No drain plug the cover has to come off to drain. And the rear brakes burst a pipe which I have replaced but I think there's still air in the rear brakes. So it needs a good bleed out.
Then it's back to the Shadow..

Mr Lockyer

Turbo charged engines need lower CR because the effective dynamic CR will be higher on boost. Which why turbo cars are sluggish when at low revs off boost. Turbo lag sort of.

The cooling should remain the same. The main hot bit of the head is the area around the exhaust port which should be all intact.

Two ways of turbo charging carby toot engines.
Suck through the carb or blow through the carb.
Suck through is easier because the carb is still living in atmospheric pressure. 1 bar absolute. Where as the blow through carby toot lives in a pressurised system. The carb has to be sealed and the vent for the float bowl connected to the boost. The RR way is to but the whole carb in a sealed box.
I personally would consider fuel injection. As RR found out with the first Turbo Rs.