I'm back, but not for long Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » I'm back, but not for long « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 944
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Following a worried message from Richard Yeaman I've popped back to assure you all that I'm still alive even if not kicking so much.

However The Old Girl is currently waiting patiently to be wafted away by her new carer. For a variety of reasons she has been unused, unmaintained and pretty much unloved for over 2 years. Now I find I'm not in the position (both physically and financially) to put her back into a roadworthy condition.

God knows where I'll go, automotively, in future. I'd love another Rolls or Bentley, but my finances won't stretch that far and may never do again due to the pathetic pension I'm forced to 'live' on. With a small, sporty cabrio, a large US spec Dodge van, a Peugeot scooter, a Suzuki based trike and 2 trailers left in the fleet one or more would have to go before I could afford a luxury saloon. Perhaps another Jag?

Anyhoo ... By this time tomorrow she could be on a car transporter and making her way South towards that shite hole we call London. I'll be sorry to see her go, but needs must when the evil drives and it's better than watching her molder away.

Keep the faith brothers and sister.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,I do wish you all the best and many thanks for your advice & help about my LPG when I bought my first Bentley (on another site) a couple of years ago.Please don't stop giving us your advice and thoughts.
Kevin Deasy

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan

I'll second that. I hope you will continue to add your wisdom and humour to this forum.

I remember many years ago I'd bought a Rover P5B for restoration. It soon became clear I had not the time to carry out the work so sold it on. A bit sad to see it trailered off by the new owner, but definitely so much better than watching it slowly waste away. You've made the right decision.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have missed you Jan.
I hope everything works out for you.
You are amongst friends on this forum - old girl or no old girl.

Omar

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 03:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan so glad to hear from you sorry to hear about the old girl, I hope that you don't disappear from these pages as I think that people like yourself are needed here to help us keep these cars in good hands.

Richard.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So we put a freshly charged battery across the terminals of the old one and ...

She churned and she churned and ... she wouldn't start.
Switch from petrol to gas and no improvement.
Tine to change back. BUGGER!
The choke flap is stuck open.
Fix it. No joy.
Put the charger on the new battery to boost the voltage and on the first tickle of the key she's chugging away like a good 'un. ON LPG!

By now she will be several tens of miles away and heading ever Southwards towards a newer, brighter future.

Anybody know where I can get a nice, roadworthy, rag top Jag for sod all cash?

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 04:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So she DID NOT let you down she did her job and drove as she should BUT now DONT YON LET US DONN keep on giving your thoughts and knowledge to us it is APRECIATED
Keep Well My Friend
Kevin Deasy ( deasy2005@icloud.com)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A miracle may happen. Who knows?

The money to buy her in the first place (and buy her back in the second place - don't ask) had to come from somewhere.

I'm currently 'investing' in Premium Bonds at the rate of £100 pcm. Each bond has the theoretical possibility of winning me a million squid each month. If not there should be enough to plant me when I kick the bucket.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jan,
When I sold my first Bentley, a wonderful, reliable S2, the gent showed up and it wouldn't start. This sweet car had NEVER given me a single problem, and it won't start. The gentleman smiled at me and said "She doesn't want to leave you". While I'm under the bonnet wrenching away he says "Don't worry, I'll give you a good home". I won't say she started right up, but half an hour later, we did get her running.
Karma, our old cars know.
Mark